Krome (waiting for stock) or Harder & Steenbeck CR Plus 2 in 1...

W

Wan2BCreative

I read a few other posts that mention these AB's but I am looking for more input.
I have been interested in the Krome for more than one year now. Unfortunately, they are NEVER in stock when I call the various suppliers in the United States. After speaking with store sales, they have NO indication of when these AB's will be in stock again. They also CLAIMED that Badger is getting their parts supplied from a Chinese manufacturer. In my daily work I see the lack of quality in most Chinese manufactured products.
So I am now looking at the Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR Plus Two in One... Now I have the tough question. Can anyone provide input by comparing their own Pro's & Con's between the two mentioned AB's? If you also state your personal reasons for the Pro's or Con's then that may give me an idea of how it applies.
Spending more than $300 USD for an AB is a HUGE step for me, just want to be as informed as possible.

Thank you.

Dude you live where they are made.. Call them up..Oh and according to Ken all parts are made in their Plant there.

9128 W. Belmont Avenue. Franklin Park, IL 60131
800-AIR-BRUSH • Fax: 800-57BADGER

Plus Ken is a member here
KenBadger is his users name send him a pm.

Last edited:
The Krome is in my opinion, the best bang for the buck, which is probably why they are having problems keeping up with demand.

Krome:
Pros:

Best Value of a 2 in 1
.21 is great for detail and illustration work
parts are cheap

Cons:
.33 Needle has a blunt tip and doesn't atomize that well in my opinion(I never use it)
The needle cap has very fine threads, I have stripped the threads on one cap(very fine threads and brass don't work well together)
The nozzles are tiny, handling/cleaning them can be difficult
Trigger is a little difficult to put back together the first time or so, but once you get used to it, it's fine

Infinity:

Pros:
Both the .4 and .15 work great and atomize well
Nozzle changes are easier
I can pull finer lines with the .15 than with the Krome, but not by a large margin
Nozzles are large and easy to handle

Cons:
.15 can be tough to get reduction right(especially opaque paints), the Krome and any small nozzle has the same problem, the Infinity is smaller, so it is just slightly more temperamental.
Occasionally you have to re-seat O-Ring around the air cap, over tightening causes it to move and not get a good seal.
I have seen a problem using a .2mm Nozzle/Needle(not stock with the Infinity) where if the compressor pulsation can cause spray problems when below around 40PSI.
The strange part is, if I use my MAC valve and keep the pressure around 15-20psi, it doesn't happen(I'm assuming the MAC valve stops the compressor pulsation)

Conclusion:
Both are great brushes, I prefer the Infinity personally, but is does cost more than twice as much.
I see that you are from Chicago, you may be able to stop into Chicago Airbrush Supply, they may have a demo unit you can try them both out.
You may also want to look into the Badger Velocity, the differences between that and the Krome are not that far apart, and it is cheaper. (.21 Needle only)

Here is the problem I found with the .2mm. It turns out not to be pulsation, but PSI related.

.2mm Nozzle Set, it stops spraying right around 40PSI, when the compressor brings pressure back up, it works.
[video=youtube;-S_qgoFIAEU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S_qgoFIAEU[/video]

.15 mm Nozzle set keeps spraying regardless.
[video=youtube;ftcS9cmT6zM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftcS9cmT6zM[/video]

I emailed the videos to Harder and Steenbeck today. I have heard other complaints on the forum with similar problems, I'm assuming they were using the .2mm Nozzle.

That is a messed up situation. Not enough airflow below 40 psi to spray paint. Or was it plain water?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think the hole in the Air Cap is too small.
If my AL Plus works well, I will try the air cap that came with the AL plus with the same nozzle and needle I used for the test.

Try giving it a good clean. My Infinity works perfectly at 10 psi with a 0.15 setup and wicked paint. with even less pressure with schmincke paint

Try giving it a good clean. My Infinity works perfectly at 10 psi with a 0.15 setup and wicked paint. with even less pressure with schmincke paint

That is a brand new .2mm needle and nozzle. I just opened the package last night. Mine works great with the .15mm. The .2mm is the one that doesn't.

Are those two different airbrushes or do you change the setup .
Than check if the nozzle seals correctly.

Are those two different airbrushes or do you change the setup .
Than check if the nozzle seals correctly.

Same airbrush, same air cap.
.15mm needle and nozzle in one video
.2mm needle and nozzle In the other.

The manual says the same air cap is used for the .15 and .2

I checked the aircap seal with soapy water, no leaks. The paint cup has no bubbles, so the Teflon seal at the back of the nozzle is working.

Edit:
I can hear less air flow using the .2 than with the .15. The air cap hole seems too small.

That is a bit strange that the same cap is used for .2 and .15
I have only the .15 so i didn't know that the same air cap is used.
Yes it could be the problem that the gap between the nozzle and air cap is to small.
Odd for a firm like H&S to make such a mistake.
looks like you'll need an extra cap for the .2 and modify the hole :)

That is a bit strange that the same cap is used for .2 and .15
I have only the .15 so i didn't know that the same air cap is used.
Yes it could be the problem that the gap between the nozzle and air cap is to small.
Odd for a firm like H&S to make such a mistake.
looks like you'll need an extra cap for the .2 and modify the hole :)

Yeah, I think it's the air cap. Other than this .2mm problem I had, my Infinity is my favorite airbrush. Actually, the only reason I bought the .2mm needle and nozzle is because my Evolution AL plus is arriving soon, they were meant for spares, but should work in the Infinity.

I had a similar issue with my Krome, went to put the .33 set up in, put air though it and nothing. The supposed .3 air cap was actually for the .21 set up. Seems they sent me all .21 air caps and no .33 cap. Ordered the correct cap and it worked, but as jeff said not happy with the way it sap rays so it's never been used since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

what does sap rays mean . my krome works awesome with both set ups and i prefer it over the infinity any day although i cant and wont paint any more. . i heard it from the mouth of a very well known man in air brushing the problem with the infinity is the Teflon seals on the nozzle it would be better with a rubber o ring. another con is the .25 needle is easily bent and you have to be very care full when changing nozzles and needles If i were to have enough money for an infinity i would get a micron instead just save the money . or you can get a krome they are awesome guns any body on this forum has a kromre and it does not work properly you should send it back and get it fixed as for the gurgling air bubbles behind the needle bearing by the trigger don't worry about it my both renegades do it i think its normal lol doesn't seem to effect performance

I would say wait fr the krome also look on ebay od amazon i would bet amazon should have themm if you cant wait for the krome get a verlocity it has the same exact psarts thaat produce paint flow exact except for trigger and coating

what does sap rays mean . my krome works awesome with both set ups and i prefer it over the infinity any day although i cant and wont paint any more. . i heard it from the mouth of a very well known man in air brushing the problem with the infinity is the Teflon seals on the nozzle it would be better with a rubber o ring. another con is the .25 needle is easily bent and you have to be very care full when changing nozzles and needles If i were to have enough money for an infinity i would get a micron instead just save the money . or you can get a krome they are awesome guns any body on this forum has a kromre and it does not work properly you should send it back and get it fixed as for the gurgling air bubbles behind the needle bearing by the trigger don't worry about it my both renegades do it i think its normal lol doesn't seem to effect performance

"Sprays", wait...did you just call someone out on a typing error? ;)
My .33 doesn't spray that well either, my .21 works great.
As for the Infinity seals, the PTFE seals at the. Nozzle are fine. If your not getting bubbles in your paint cup, it's probably not the problem. Re seat the O-ring on the air cap. I had to do it on mine a few times. I just get a toothpick under it and pull the ring away around the entire circumference of the air cap. Every once in a while, mostly from over tightening, the O-Ring seems to get pinched and not spray right.

Back