Krome wearing out !

Little update..

I have now also noticed chrome bubbling and flaking off just inside the cup rim, the speck which has come off blocked my nozzle..
Dscf1613.jpg

As I was getting slightly concerned now I contacted everythingairbrush in the UK who I purchased the Krome from, one look at the photos and they agreed this should not be happening and would forward on the pictures to the supplier in the states. In the meantime they have despatched an unused 'promotional' Krome for me to use as spares :)

yer I'd say the bath prior to it getting plated didnt get rid of all the oil from machining likely and has trapped some under the surface. the only other thing that could really do it is some super harsh chemicals..No doubt it will get sorted for ya m8 and its good of them to give ya an in between brush..Must have just got unlucky m8 but if I were you I'd also send the pics to Ken for his own interest, just in case it is a batch issue or a prob in the plating process and he may appreciate knowing directly so he can follow up..

Common place for a little wear and tear, metal on metal movement, likely similar inside the spring housing, nothing to really worry too much about and wouldn't think it would create any major resistance or issues. but yer as above, just give it a polish if concerned.
I noticed the nickel finish at the bottom of the paint cup worn through to the brass structure after two months use after purchase. I use distilled water (4 part) and ammonia (1 part) for cleaning. I discussed this with Ken at Badger and he said that should not cause it and he'd check it out with members in the plating department. I do not recall if he said they do the "plating" in house or hire another company to do so. However, Ken, the CEO of Badger, said it of interest to him and he will research the problem. I have a lot of respect for Ken for the fact his company is American and maintains a full guarantee on all products for life. Also, i am impressed that he handled my call himself. The guy "loves" Airbrush and all about airbrushing. He told me that if i wished to send it back to him and he will replace it.
You gotta love a guy like that!...lol.
However, now that I'm here, I have another issue needing advice or theory's from all of you great artists in this forum. I have another product from badger, a Sotar 20/20 Airbrush. I bought it for detail work and overall it works as desired. Except, a new issue surfaced recently that may be of my own doing. In the world where paint, pressures and reducing must be mastered to get the desired effect often requires proper troubleshooting to identify the cause and fix problems as they arise. This particular issue, so far, eludes a solution.
The problem is, during prolonging operation, pressurized paint feeds back to the trigger assembly. I notice it when painting and air bubbles mixed with paint oozes out the top trigger slot of the airbrush body. As a result the trigger becomes sticky and requires immediate breakdown and cleaning. My thought was there was some kind of blockage i.e., dry tip, etc. Adding more reducer didn't solve the problem. My gut feeling is...there is "more" pressure feeding back than the pressure applied for normal operation. However, it's my understanding that the airbrush is designed to operate at all pressures applied. I only use 15 psi to 30 psi range of pressures and so far experience the same problem regardless of the pressures in that range. I don't want to assume it's a flaw in the design of the airbrush and i wonder if this is a problem with other people who use the Soltar 20/20 airbrush.
If anyone has additional ideas that i failed to find so far, I'm interested in hearing them. Please know it will be appreciated.

@Dagann sounds like your needle packing is allowing paint to flow back into the brush.

I don't own one but check the manual and see if you can tighten the packing, if not it (the packing) may need to be replaced.

Jim

@Dagann sounds like your needle packing is allowing paint to flow back into the brush.

I don't own one but check the manual and see if you can tighten the packing, if not it (the packing) may need to be replaced.

Jim

I may be mistaken, but I thought the needle bearing on the Badger brushes has to be sent back to the factory. I don't think there is an adjustment on them.

The Sotar needle bearing is not adjustable. If paint is getting by it, it is either damaged or worn. Badger advises sending it back for replacement, which they will do free of charge except for shipping cost. Have a look at this page.

Don

Thanks...but i think jagnrdn is right. and i will send it in to Badger. I agree with Don and I think Badger will nullify the guarantee if i mess with the bearing. And strictly attitude is correct...Ken is good at replacing what he sells so why not just keep it safe and let Badger make it right...thanx guys

Yup, the needle packing. I had that happen to me too. But, the Iwatas have an adjustment. Just tightened it up a teensie bit and problem solved.

The Sotar needle bearing is not adjustable. If paint is getting by it, it is either damaged or worn. Badger advises sending it back for replacement, which they will do free of charge except for shipping cost. Have a look at this page.

Don
Thanks Don. The link will help a lot and Badger's web site also called for a return for repairs. My Sotar was new a couple months ago and I'm surprised the bearing needed replacing so early. The paint in the trigger assy. dried and made it difficult to remove spring assy. without damage. Soooooo...BIG NOTE: Tiny bearing can and will cause additional damage if not dealt with properly. Thanx for your advice and solution. It's nice to have other artists who offer advice on-line.

Yup, the needle packing. I had that happen to me too. But, the Iwatas have an adjustment. Just tightened it up a teensie bit and problem solved.
I hear ya. I wish my problem could be fixed so easily. But...Badger will replace part free and i have a Krome to use till the Sotar is fixed. Thanx for the message though. This site is awesome because of the community of other artists.

I hear ya. I wish my problem could be fixed so easily. But...Badger will replace part free and i have a Krome to use till the Sotar is fixed. Thanx for the message though. This site is awesome because of the community of other artists.
Yes, from what others have said, Ken Badger, is wonderful to deal with. Many of the artists here use Badger AB's and I hear they are also great. Glad the problem is being fixed for you.

I consider the peeps on this forum as my internet family. They are wonderful support for ABing and also for personal problems when times get rough. If you love to AB and you love to help others out with the knowledge you gain, you'll fit right in. Glad you're here. :)

Back