For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

learning pinstriping

Discussion in 'Pinstriping' started by CoreyH, Aug 15, 2016.

1. CoreyH

CoreyH Young Tutorling

First off, I have been searching high and low for forums about pinstriping and they all seem to be outdated. This one is most current and looked like last post was from early last year. Anyone still stiping?
    Looking for some drill sheets to get me started on my lines and S curves but can't seem to find any. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks
    MeeshellMP likes this.
  2. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Get a good sized picture frame, put a grid square behind it, stripe on that, then clean!
  3. CoreyH

CoreyH Young Tutorling

I've got a decent size picture frame I've been using for airbrushing, but I really want to learn how to keep a consistent line going along with learning the curves of striping.
    I'll try grid paper under the glass too. That helped with airbrushing.
    Just figured there had to be some printable pages that would help. Some other forums had talked about "drill sheets" with a bunch of different thickness in straight lines and some had S curves on them for learning to roll the brush correctly but I have searched for 2 days now and haven't found anything.
    Want to make sure my lines are good first before I go jumping into the design part and not be ready.
  4. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

The old video still have some merit to them ,and some of the people here on the forum do some pin stripping ,but like mark said the easiest way to go is the glass with a grid behind it as it cleans up easily with a single edge razor blade after it drys but you might go to a glass shop and ask for a price of 1/4 inch glass and have them smooth the edge so you don't get cut by them
    CoreyH and markjthomson like this.
  5. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Hmmm, yes, I came across some on youtube... I'll try and remember where is was... maybe Steve Kafka... check out the grid he uses here. His website is here http://stevekafka.com/shop/page/2/
    MeeshellMP, JackEb and CoreyH like this.
  6. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Coast airbrush TV has some videos I think there is a free one also, love stripping........ Sorry stripe'n
    markjthomson and CoreyH like this.
  7. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

There is Pinstripers Garage on Facebook.
    JackEb, markjthomson and CoreyH like this.
  8. CoreyH

CoreyH Young Tutorling

Appreciate it guys. I will keep searching. Just want to learn the basics and get them down first before I move onto anything else
    MeeshellMP likes this.
  9. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Mod

Alot of our Pin Stripers have moved on :cry: but they do check in from time to time. Gotta do the 1000 rule...1000 straight lines...and lemmie tell ya,...its boring lol. I started, but ran outa time, cause Im so busy with airbrushing instead.
    musicmacd, jord001 and markjthomson like this.
  10. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

I'm standing on about 30.
    musicmacd and MeeshellMP like this.
  11. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Just make your own drill sheet, it will be easier. create it on a computer and print it out place it under a sheer of glass and you're ready to go or you could buy one from Steve Kafka if striping on a hard surface, i dont think they are that expensive, just checked and "the Grid" is 12 dollars. You could possibly make your own but a good old fashion rule and a stabilo will work just as well. All you have to do then is practise. I've had a few video's of steve kafka and wizard pinstriping. There's no magic to it, just getting the paint flow right and shed loads of practise.

Lee
    musicmacd likes this.
  12. segrafix

segrafix Young Tutorling

Herb Martinez's Guide to Pinstriping 2006 by krause publications. Really good book, covers old school, new school, airbrush, gold leaf, etc. Maybe in the library, I found one in NJ library system, then bought my own on eBay.
    Micha der Wolf and basepaint like this.