LF A Quiet Compressor

quiet, cheap, reliable - pick any two... It has a tank so that is OK and will help it stay cool. Spend your time getting some reviews of different compressors. What are you doing with it? Check for how long it is needed to run.

Andreza i was looking at that exact one on amazon lol. I will be using it for scale modeling. I couldn't not find any better than the one AndreZA linked and did not want to post it before so i wouldn't be left dry. That particular compressor would need any add on's ? I'm new and just want to buy once haha. I was trying to find airbrush specified machines thinking it would also be quieter but i found nothing that wasn't overly expensive.

I made one from a fridge compressor and a compressor with a shot motor. It's been working great for about 3 months now, and all it cost me was a few bucks for adapters. I had the old fridge, and a friend was happy to get the broken compressor off his hands.
It was actually an easier task that I thought it would be. Some simple wiring and connecting the fridge compressor out line to the air in line are really the hardest parts.
It's so quiet I can't hear it kick on over the noise of my box fan\filter set on low. It doesn't put out a ton of air, but plenty for an airbrush without stressing it.

The only thing to remember is that it's designed for a closed loop system, and be design allows oil mist into the air. Mine collects in the tank. I have an extra oil trap, just in case, but I haven't seen any in there. Better safe than sorry, though. Also, the oil used in a fridge compressor needs to be drained out, measured, and replaced with a standard compressor oil.
I can post some pics and a better explanation if you decide to give the DIY method a shot.

Andreza i was looking at that exact one on amazon lol. I will be using it for scale modeling. I couldn't not find any better than the one AndreZA linked and did not want to post it before so i wouldn't be left dry. That particular compressor would need any add on's ? I'm new and just want to buy once haha. I was trying to find airbrush specified machines thinking it would also be quieter but i found nothing that wasn't overly expensive.

I do not know what it comes with. So try and find out and get what you need. Here's a little schematic of what is needed.

couplings.jpg

But it is not that quiet, my budget can go a little higher than that. I am looking for somthing that i can run indoors during night time. when you recommend can you also include the Decibels thanks.

If so, buy the same but two piston type. They're heated less than one piston type.
I had the same (2 piston type) for the start of my airbrushing, used it a little and sold for the reason I'd made DIY based on two fridge motor-compressors. That one two piston isn't that loud I'd say, at least the noise produced by it isn't annoying.
Concerning DIY, I'll update my thread for it as some repair was done.

I have that little compressor from your first link as a back up and student compressor , all I can say it does the job but it is not suited for long term use as it heats up to fast and it "walks" on slippery floors .

Thanks guys for all the input. I already placed my order with a 2yr warranty. I have seen the DIY fridge compressor's. Video's on youtube do not tell you the noise output (decibels) from their DIY project, They all differ so noise output is anecdotal with no decibel meter and this way the only thing i ever have to worry about is draining the thing after use(oil free). I did play videos of the DIY fridge videos to the California air compressor and it did seem like the California was quieter to most. Not scientific or accurate but with no decibel comparison it was the best i could do for any comparison. I imagine different motors and wear on them would make the difference in noise.

jord001 I have seen that one with no video that i could find and no info on the decibels. Compressor searching i have found different variations of "Quite" and they seem to go as high as 80 decibels. The lowest decibel reading i found was from a company called BAMBI witch appears to use a Big fridge motor? is oil lubricated going as low as 40 decibels and its very expensive. I think i did good with my purchase most bang for buck.

AndreZA looking at the pictures i would need a moisture trap. I already purchase a hose for it (Badger brand) don't know how i would add the moisture trap is that removing something then adding it? I just hope i can find everything at the local hardware store. Guess I'll have to wait for it to arrive and see. Should i open another forum to ask for spray booth options?

AndreZA looking at the pictures i would need a moisture trap. I already purchase a hose for it (Badger brand) don't know how i would add the moisture trap is that removing something then adding it? I just hope i can find everything at the local hardware store. Guess I'll have to wait for it to arrive and see. Should i open another forum to ask for spray booth options?
I don't know how far the compressor will stand from your work area but this can be a nice setup. Just get a cheaper hose and a regulator+watertrap combo like in my schematic. Plug hose into compressor (you will need a male quick coupling) and connect it to the new regulator combo. With your airbrush stand, if you bought one, you should have gotten a holder for the regulator. Attach it there and add another female quick coupling to the regulator and then the male quick coupling to your new Badger hose. You can now keep the regulator on the compressor at 100% and have air control close by.

Back