Light layers

Bosse

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Bull s**t to make a very light layer with CI black, :depressed: yesterday I ordered light gray and gray from Foxy's.
When it arrives I will start with the Cameron monocrome portrait again from Mitch AB online course.:thumbsup:

upload_2016-10-11_13-44-44.pngupload_2016-10-11_13-44-52.png

I use light grey because I use it to mix dull light colours. If I paint monochrome, I use the darkest paint that will give me the saturation required and use transparent base to make it more transparent. When I it takes to long to go darker, I use less base.

Last edited:
I am with Andre on this I also use the darkest transparent paint for my mono portraits , I rarely use a opaque paint like black or grey .

What brand of transparent do you use?
I only use one brand : Etac paints the EFX transparents are just great for mono portraits you can manipulate it with either the transparent base : the "reduce base" and you want to thin it you just use water .
if I want a black and white look I use the paynes grey , if I want a color I use the sepia smoke for a "colder" look or the burnt umber for a "warmer" look
in a rare case I use the opaque white or black but in a 1 : 20 ratio meaning 1 part paint to 20 parts reduce base that way you get a opaque paint that is easy to control as you need many thin layers to reach max saturation

Doesn't matter what brand of paint you use, just weaken it as stated above. I learnt a good trick from Mr blair where you spray 1 drop of say black through the gun till its empty, then put 5 drops of transparant base in the cup and hey presto you have subtle pastel like ability :) CI is amazing paint, it can do anything!

Doesn't matter what brand of paint you use, just weaken it as stated above. I learnt a good trick from Mr blair where you spray 1 drop of say black through the gun till its empty, then put 5 drops of transparant base in the cup and hey presto you have subtle pastel like ability :) CI is amazing paint, it can do anything!
It can't do my laundry. I've been on it's ass for weeks now, still a big pile of clothes on the floor. [emoji23]

Well, I have paint for 40€ plus shipping and other stuff on it's way so I have to make this work [emoji854] bit I wont give up on CI paint just yet. [emoji1591]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I was watching a video today by Havier Soto today and he said to put reducer in the gun first and then add paint. If done the other way around you end up with thicker paint that doesn't mix and tends to clog. Also he said to do a 50/50 trans base to reducer and then a 1 to 1 mix of paint to the 50/50 mix.

I also mixed so CI Paint with Golden airbrush medium and that flowed really well. However I only tried it for a short time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have given up on anything createx makes years ago and no one can convince me to use the new CI , I am not working and will never work on synthetic "paper", what counts to me is the fact I dont need to use any special products to make my paint spray the way I like it :)

Nothing special to use CI, just paint and reducer. Being that CI has a higher pigment ratio, it requires more reducer to work similar to ETAC. ETAC does spray better than CI out of the bottle, but is no where as versatile in application range and coverage.
Both have their positives and negatives.

Nothing special to use CI, just paint and reducer. Being that CI has a higher pigment ratio, it requires more reducer to work similar to ETAC. ETAC does spray better than CI out of the bottle, but is no where as versatile in application range and coverage.
Both have their positives and negatives.
Is it just illustrator only? I can't use Createx detail yellow or orange for the life of me, it just doesn't cover as well as etac or com-art. Ruined an entire pokemon picture for my kid due to the weak coverage of createx making it so difficult to tell if the orange was even covering. Where comart i could instantly track where it was covering

Ive got a loooot of createx so I am determined to use it

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just illustrator only? I can't use Createx detail yellow or orange for the life of me, it just doesn't cover as well as etac or com-art. Ruined an entire pokemon picture for my kid due to the weak coverage of createx making it so difficult to tell if the orange was even covering. Where comart i could instantly track where it was covering

Ive got a loooot of createx
Wicked Detail is their transparent line. If you want it to cover mix a few drops of opaque white in. That will give it a bit of opacity.

Wicked Detail is their transparent line. If you want it to cover mix a few drops of opaque white in. That will give it a bit of opacity.

Thank you! You're now in the running for my BFF, I searched for info on what the heck the difference was, even websites selling it lack that info.

Their auto air line was so nice and specific :mad:

Wicked Detail should have the same pigment load to CI. It uses the same pigments, just a different binder. Unless you got some bad paint, the coverage should be fine.

I also have the full set plus white and black in big bottle, so I have some to use. [emoji854]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Thank you! You're now in the running for my BFF, I searched for info on what the heck the difference was, even websites selling it lack that info.

Their auto air line was so nice and specific :mad:
Dru used the wicked detail line for his automotive line for a while till the illustration line came out. I had ordered Dru's set and immediately had issues with cobalt blue and burnt umber. After a call to Createx I found all this info out. I barely used the paint and it turned to lumps in the bottles so they all got pitched. I preferred the Wicked line over the detail line. Now I have issues with the illustration line. ETac and Aqua Flow have been the best paints I have ever used.

Dru used the wicked detail line for his automotive line for a while till the illustration line came out. I had ordered Dru's set and immediately had issues with cobalt blue and burnt umber. After a call to Createx I found all this info out. I barely used the paint and it turned to lumps in the bottles so they all got pitched. I preferred the Wicked line over the detail line. Now I have issues with the illustration line. ETac and Aqua Flow have been the best paints I have ever used.

The only problem with ETac is it is too fragile for the synthetic paper craze.

Back