For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Line drawings of hair

Discussion in 'Airbrush References!' started by Smiler65, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Smiler65

Smiler65 Detail Decepticon!

just thought I would ask if anyone had any line drawings to save me printing out and then doing them bye hand,lazy sod I am,.:rolleyes:
    I have downloaded some pencil drawings of hair but I'm not convinced this is the way to go. I've got to master and understand this if I'm to try and progress on the portraits I'm trying to improve.
    I have watched the videos by Mitch and Daniel powers but I just can't seem to get my head around it.:oops:
  2. Smiler65

AndreZA likes this.
  3. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Mate im a total newb and have no real idea what im doing, but can i ask what gear your using?
    Personally the fibre pens 4/2mm have helped me no end.
  4. Smiler65

Your work shows you do have a clue on what your doing,youve done some nice work already.
    I have all the kit i should need, its just a case of struggling to get my head around the method of doing hair, dont know why as it should be simple to do just shapes and end up with hair. Ill be spending this weekend just trying different ways till i get it right.
  5. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Thanks, maybe you could be trying too hard??? does your paper scratch easily?? if not then theres you problem! If it does I just lay down some Black then scratch with the fibre pens and lay down more black and so on. then add some transparant colours to suit.
    To me it needed lots of layers to get any depth in the hair. tedious work but I like tedious tasks!!!!
    Smiler65 likes this.
  6. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

Problem is your trying to paint hair. The only way to paint hair is making someone sit still long enough for you to spray them.

Quit trying to paint hair, we dont paint things, we paint lines and shapes. Its just a matter of of overthinking it, i had a hard time with it too.
    Smiler65 likes this.
  7. Smiler65

Here's the first attempts,:(:(

I'm going to have to paint baldies all the time or crop the hair out of the pics.
    I've decided I'm just going to save some cash and pay to have a lesson cause at this rate I'm going to be doing cartoon hair only.

I did ask AndreZa if I could do one of his pics,but I'm not going to attempt that yet.

image.jpg
    :eek::eek::eek::sour::sour::sour:
    jord001 likes this.
  8. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

What paper arevyou using?
    If you changed from scratching to more subtle erasing that bun hair would be great!
  9. Smiler65

I'm using Bristol paper Nada, the hair was relatively soft until I plugged in the electric eraser, I didn't scratch it, the knife is only there as I keep it stuck to my magnets so I don't go doing any damage rummaging through my boxes.
  10. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

Like what I did?:eek:
  11. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

Have you ever used an artist soap eraser? They are a little grittier and can erase eithout rubbing for days. Your on the right path with the hair, those hard eraser lines are killing your effect. Bristol is what i started on and found as your finding the paint absorbs so that scratching is near impossible.
  12. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

Id be tempted to give it a rub with super fine sandpaper at this stage. Which paint?
    Smiler65 likes this.
  13. Smiler65

Never heard of a soap eraser? I'm using Etac Efx paints now as I've found I like them better. I packed trying hair today will give it another ago later, I wanted to finish the day on a good note so done something else this afternoon.
  14. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

I don't know how I missed this mate, but this is a damn cool idea to learn doing hair, I commented here above and didn't even see this bito_O this definitely the way to go to get you up to speed without risking whole paintings which be otherwise fine:thumbsup:

Forget that electric eraser, it's far too aggressive, it's fine for speed textures and stuff like that but trying keep control of it is pain, stick with your normal soft and hard erasers, but also use your blades, with the paint your using you should be able to scrape the surface only in areas so that your not going all the way back through to white and you can scrape to different depths giving different tonal values, don't forget you can also use pencils, I would recommend that you try all the different methods available to you.

A little tip on the airbrushing part of it, and try this with a small area of to start with instead a full hairdo, lol, but if can make your a little more transparent you can do some lines and dagger strokes and overlap them as you go, when you do that you actually see the beginning of hair appear before your eyes, for example, if you did around ten dagger overlapping each other you would have upwards about twenty strands of hair, think strands maybe depending on the thickness of your lines, but varying thickness's also and to the effect, after that you can fine tune with your erasers, blades and pencils as well as the fibreglass pen when the job requires it, anyway have a little play around.

Whether it's erasing, blading or fibreglass penning, it's easier and safer to do it gradually going over the same strand or part again and again until it looks how you want it, it's not always necessary to go right through to white, and when you look at hair you almost always have fly away hairs, some are caught by the sun or light source whereas some are in the shadows, those in the light I do very lightly with the point of my blade, the ones in the shadows I do with with a watercolour pencil dragging it again very lightly to achieve the finest line possible, in either of these cases if the hairs are in the distance, i.e. out of focus, you make make them softer with blending stub which in case you didn't already know is rolled up paper thing that looks like a pencil with no lead, lol

I know you would rather create stuff than practice but this is one practice that will benefit you greatly especially since you seem to leaning toward portraits so keep at it, you owe it to yourself;)

I had actually started to comment at the start of this thread a few days ago but I got called away and completely forgot after that, I do apologise for that, I feel like I let you down, that bastard Madbrush, lo
    Smiler65 likes this.
  15. Smiler65

@Madbrush youve never let me down, you have spent plenty of time with me trying to get me through my probs etc......but get on that bloody train and get here and show me how's it's donelollol...... For which I am very grate full.

I just thought doing some hair studies like this would as you say not wreck anything I'm doing and I thought it would be cool and fun,how wrong,
    The Bun hairdo did look crap to begin, then I relaxed and just threw down some daggers and the lower part looked pretty good, I had already wrecked the bun part so thought out with the eraser and next thing was that crap in the photos.
    I ve got a lot to learn with eraser and blades, fibre pens, paper and wooden stumps, I've got all the tools but just can't implement them. I honestly don't know why I can't do this, it's not rocket science, but when I do get it expect to see loads of hair do's every wherelol

I'm leaning towards portraits at the mo as that's something I've been shown and understand a little. If I had been shown flowers I would be doing them.once I feel confident and can do a couple without so much thinking I will move onto the next thing, furry and feathered. At that point I will just alternate keeping my hand in till the next challenge.

Practice is as you know something I don't do, but after trying to throw down some daggers and hit the same spot, failing miserably at times, I'm now going to try and do some more practice. I've just got so much I want to do and know where I want to be, I want to get there,I have now accepted I can't get there with any short cuts and it's all down to time spent with the brush, and I genuinely feel I am know making progress in the right direction.
  16. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

I hate practice but being ive had so little time of late, i try and throw in some every night.
    Smiler65 likes this.
  17. Smiler65

I don't get to do it as much as I like, but practice is something I hate, I would sooner do a picture and use that for my practice, the down side is I don't get many finished as I normally stuff something up:( but that's the price I pay for not doing practice sheets. But this hair thing is a different story for me so some practice sheets are what's required.
  18. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

The biggest problem with using all the techniques at your disposal is that there is no actual right or wrong time to use them, you will basically use them in the order that a particular piece demands, that makes it difficult, that is the same even for me and I think many others, only practice will help you understand, you have given yourself a little mountain to climb in tackling complete hairdo's at once, but try taking a piece at a time, like a lock of hair at the side of a face or even a pony tail, it helps to understand how the hair is made up using all your tricks.

When did the Jessica portrait I did everything I mentioned above but to get you started try doing a pony tail, you can use a reference which I would advise, or you can just make it up, it doesn't matter since it's the illusion of hair you are after, but do the following, at you leisure of course.

1, create the main shape with your airbrush by doing lines/dagger (overlapping as I said) following the contours of the ponytail and bearing in mind that the strands will be closer together at the elastic and at the tapering bottom.

2, assume a light source coming from an angle above and apply some shadows on the underside away from the light source.

3, following the lines/daggers you've created use your soft/hard erasers to create even more detail over your strokes, you should notice that that hair will start have some body and begin to appear as loose hairs a little out of focus.

4, a little more erasing for about a third of the ponytail closest to the light source using your hard eraser, don't expect instant removal obviously but this is used in your favour by erasing more in some spots than others.

5, using your blades preferably curved, I use a number 10 curved blade which gives different thickness's depending on it's angle, create even more detail mainly around the middle of the pony tail (always follow the original contours and direction of your lines/daggers, at some points you will notice the effect of that part being closer to you.

6, for further effect you could repeat the above steps in layers if you think it needs it but this is optional and you will know yourself if it's required or not.

7, if necessary reinstate your shadows and apply some fine tuning using your watercolour pencil again following the original direction of your daggers.

8, finish up by erasing some highlights at the extreme edges closest to the light source and generally where you think the light source would have more influence.

A little tip, as stupid as this may sound a blade and some even a pencil will want to follow the grain of the paper (it does happen honest) to combat this I apply a little trick I have always used when I draw and especially on hair, I use the heel of my rested on the paper to act as a compass in order to achieve flowing curves.

None of the above is law and everyone has their own methods, but it should give you a good idea of how start and finish, the more layers you apply the more realistic your attempt will be, have fun;)
  19. matty171

matty171 Air-Valve Autobot!

Mate a lot to read on this thread so if its already been mentioned i apologise, if your going to use bristol board have you tried spraying some matt varnish on before you start, itll help with scratching but also cut down absorbing into the paper, i spray my 4G (or is it G4 i never remember)
    Smiler65 likes this.
  20. Smiler65

Good god Malky that's a step by step if I've ever seen one:thumbsup:
    I'm going to print that out and have a proper read when I get in tomoz and try and find a descent reference to have a go at.
    Really appreciate the time you've put into that and I'll try to make it worth your while with a stunning pony tail at the end.
    I did actually refer to your Jessica thread the other day and thought crap I ain't pulling that one off.