For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Line drawings of hair

Discussion in 'Airbrush References!' started by Smiler65, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Smiler65

Smiler65 Detail Decepticon!

There's always a silver lining to every cloud,just don't go spraying that blue paint again.:thumbsup:
  2. Smiler65

Well I've just prep'd a piece of Bristol paper with Matt varnish ready for my next attempt, all I can say is I'm not doing that again:sour: I ended up taking it outside to spray, it absolutely stank:eek:.

I was thinking about gessoing mdf board but if that's as bad I'll give that a miss also.
    I better pick this hair thing up quick as I want to use just schoellershammer board/ paper and at that price I won't be wanting to screw up as much as I dolol
  3. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

LOL, you could have sprayed with water based varnish;)

You could easily get a very cheap HVLP gun for spraying your gesso and do that outside, but the gesso is water based so it won't stink like your varnish did, but masks are also cheap, if I spray the gesso I usually do a few boards at one time, normally about 10 to 12, by the time the last one is done I can go directly back to the first one to start the next layer.

You could also have put your varnish on with a foam roller, depending on the varnish you used it is usually self-levelling meaning it will flow to flat finish.
  4. Smiler65

I just bought Windsor and Newton Matt varnish in a small spray can to give it a go from the Range art department. Also seen gesso there but I open up the tub to see what it was like and it was sealed. I might give that a go next we'll see. I did look at a Hvlp gun a wee while ago, don't know why I didn't buy it, probably thought about the work involved and thought sod it even though the gun was only £20 ish.
  5. matty171

matty171 Air-Valve Autobot!

I just bought a tune myself earlier, i dont think its that bad, i have liquitex varnish and it nearly made me sick when i was using it. Do you not have a mask of some sort
  6. Smiler65

No mate,1 rule I do break, I have a serious nose breathing problem and I thought it stank so no way will I be using that liquitex stuff. I'm not varnishing anything again. As I said I might give gesso ago.
  7. matty171

matty171 Air-Valve Autobot!

I only use the mask for varnish or prepping the tshirts with that gac900 you got me. Yea the liquitex stuff is stinking.
  8. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

Gesso is basically latex, pva glue (white glue) and your marble dust. Nothing toxic about it. And you can squegee it on
    Smiler65 likes this.
  9. Smiler65

I'm just looking at mini hvlp guns, like airbrush's they have various needles so I'm looking at buying a 0.8 mm gun. Do I need to water the gesso down, sand between coats, 3 coats enough? Sorry about the q's but yet again I know nothing about the stuff.. I'll have a trawl around the threads here I'm sure I'll find a thread about it.

Doesn't matter, just found a thread I've already asked these questions in, how short a memory I have:confused:
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  10. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

0.8 is good, yes you need to thin it and no you shouldn't need to sand it, and if the board was already white as in furniture backing one or two coats would be fine but a little scuff sanding before you start, if it is just untreated MDF, give it as many coats as needed until it is completely white and doesn't shine through, usually when I do untreated MDF i give a couple of coats of D.I.Y shop acrylic primer applied with a foam roller and sand before the gesso, the acrylic primer works out a lot cheaper than the gesso although if you thin this you apply this too with your HVLP.
    Smiler65 likes this.
  11. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Code Dragon Slayer Admin

I find the gesso I use smells a bit like wood glue or white paper glue, but it does not stink up the place. I've sprayed it through a HVLP spray gun more than once without complaints :)
    Madbrush and Smiler65 like this.
  12. Smiler65

Thanks Malky, was thinking of pinching the backs of the wardrobes to try firstlol
    Madbrush likes this.
  13. Smiler65

I bet my missus still kicks me outside to do it though:(
    WhiteKnight likes this.
  14. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

She will love for that.....NOT!!!, lol

You definitely would be better to do it outdoors, it's quite a high volume of dust.
    Smiler65 likes this.
  15. Smiler65

Thought the deal was I make she cleanslol

I'can empty the shed and spray them in there:thumbsup:

And just ordered my hvlp and gesso, litre tub, hope that will cover a decent amount, if I reduce it 50/50
  16. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

Yeah if you spray it indoors the dust from gesso is horrible... damnit i need to make some panels my son took my last one.
    Smiler65 likes this.
  17. Smiler65

Right here we go again with the next attempt.
    image.jpg
  18. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

WOW, have you been on a course or something?, lol, that is incredible, what a difference Gary:thumbsup:
    Smiler65 likes this.
  19. Smiler65

I've been on a cracking course mate, do you know there's this really mad jock that has a great big soft heart that actually took the time on a Sunday to take this image and break it down and then done a cracking step by step for this thick jock to follow and try and get something that resembles hair onto a piece of paper.

But of course you do it was you yourself that was very generous and for that I thank you:thumbsup:

It still needs a lot of work to get it up to the standard of the piece you done, but it's going the right way now:thumbsup:
    JackEb likes this.
  20. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

Looks like that sbs worked for you:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Madbrush and Smiler65 like this.