For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Line drawings of hair

Discussion in 'Airbrush References!' started by Smiler65, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

Your very welcome mate and you know I'll do it again gladly if I ever need to, besides I had no choice, I hate Duncan Goodhew lol

I can't believe you got it thus good with your first go, in a few days you'll knocking out the full cast of the musical "HAIR" :thumbsup:
  2. Smiler65

Smiler65 Detail Decepticon!

It's all your fault, I had a line up of baldies to paint now I'm going to have to do them with hairlol
  3. Smiler65

It certainly has made a drastic improvement, now it's down to me to put the effort in to get the results.
  4. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

I don't think you need to put any effort in, just have fun practicing, the rest will take care of itself
    Smiler65 likes this.
  5. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Wow @Smiler65 you must be dead chuffed !!
    If you keep this up @Madbrush you'll have the whole forum asking for your personal touch...... with paint...... hair.......... oh good grief, I know where this is going to end up :confused:
    keep going Smiler, I'm sure now you've pulled this one off youre biting at the bit to get others done
  6. Smiler65

Well chuffed I am JackEb, I plan on finishing the whole head of this one then onto just a couple of hair studies before I try putting a whole portrait together. I've also got my tiger pic to get on with and of course this technique with help me out with the fur as well,:thumbsup:
  7. matty171

matty171 Air-Valve Autobot!

Thats dome difference mate well done, see told you you would get there
    Smiler65 likes this.
  8. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

What's all this TRY shite, you've got the tools now, just get it done, how about Duncan Good hew with a bun?, that would be an original if ever there was one:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Smiler65 likes this.
  9. Smiler65

I don't know about being there yet, certainly further along the road now though, another couple of goes after I finished this one so it becomes more natural.

Sorry did I use that word again, meant will DO a full portrait:thumbsup:
    matty171 and Madbrush like this.
  10. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

I should damn well think so too, when your wife says "hoover the living room" do say "I'll try" and if you do, how long before she breaks your face?:eek:

the word try is not allowed on this forum, that's even worse than saying "I can't" which carries the death penalty, in a sharing the love kind of way of course:thumbsup:

You certainly did Matty, you certainly did, but talking to some people is like washing a paper hankyo_O;):)
    matty171 likes this.
  11. Smiler65

The wife knows not to ask me to hoover, I make sure it poor then she says I may as well done it myself, so now she does:whistling::thumbsup:

I told you I wasn't the brightest spark in the fire, it takes some serious drumming in to get through my thick skull.
  12. Smiler65

This is today's progress,
    As always please jump in and give your advice:thumbsup:

image.jpg
    Madbrush and JackEb like this.
  13. grantmartin850

grantmartin850 Detail Decepticon!

Incredible smiler - that really turned out great. Where is the madbrush private tutilage sign-up form? He is one incredible teacher.
    Madbrush, Smiler65 and JackEb like this.
  14. Smiler65

Attempted to add some highlights, think it looks quite good now. Think I can safely say that this qualifies as my first hairdo.
    image.jpg
  15. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

It does look good. Also look at adding shadows. If there's a shadow next to a highlight it can appear brighter. You can use a hand held shield to cut in a sharp edge.
    Madbrush and Smiler65 like this.
  16. Smiler65

Thanks Andre
  17. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

LOL, The success of this is also largely due to a change in substrate, his old bristol board was holding him back but luckily it became workable with a coat of varnish on top:thumbsup:

I had actually done the whole painting just as he's doing here, my intention was to put it on the main forum for everyone to see but I was embarrassed by the rest of the painting and didn't dare, I didn't spend too much time on the face and body since the main purpose was to explain the process I use to create the hair:confused: but I did tell Smiler I would do the same painting again in the near future and spend the time on it I should have, then I promise to put it up:thumbsup:

@Smiler65 I know I've said it already but I really am impressed with the speed your picking this up, I had expected a couple of practice runs or mini failures if you like, but to just get straight into it like this makes me proud, keep up the good work and can't to see what comes next:thumbsup:

One little tip though, try to get yourself some number 10 scalpel blades, although I like the look of that blade because it looks a little mini Gurkha knife for action man, the number 10 will give you thinner lines and possibly even be less aggressive.
    grantmartin850 likes this.
  18. grantmartin850

grantmartin850 Detail Decepticon!

Come on madbrush you were instrumental in helping smiler and I know smiler really appreciates your help. Great work the both of you.
    Smiler65 likes this.
  19. Smiler65

I don't think I would put this largely down to a change is substrate, this is down to the steps I followed in your tut you done.:thumbsup:
    No one was expecting some mini failures, not quite what I call themlol more than myself. The grin I have on my face is undescribable, I know it's not perfect and is showing signs of being heavy handed but to have something that looks like hair in front of me this time is a great boost to me.
    No 10 blades will be in the post tomorrow :thumbsup:

What's next? Lines,dots and daggerslol
  20. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

LOL,, I'm not saying I didn't help but the paper he had would have made it like flogging a dead horse, plus he's a great student, I knew from when he first signed on that he had the makings of an artist even if he didn't believe it himself, ;) so I have always tried my best to help bring it out, and when I say I'm proud, I am proud of myself too since I managed to explain it better this time round, lol

But seriously I am totally pleased with the result of a couple of hours work on my part, I actually got more out of this than I get out of the money I get:rolleyes: doing my own job:thumbsup:
    grantmartin850 likes this.