Looking at getting into airbrushing, help me find the right brush!

C

centralclb

Hello,
So a little background; I have in drawing and painting my whole life, and got fairly decent at it, nothing professional quality, but good enough. For some time now I’ve been wanting to get into air brushing. The problem is I have no idea where to begin. So what are some reputable brands I should look into for a starter? I’d like to keep it around $75 if possible (again I have no idea what is feasible, so I apologize if that number is ridiculous). I’d like something that is fairly versatile as I would be doing anything from very detailed shadowing on canvas to painting gun parts in one solid color with ceramic based paints. I don’t know much about airbrushes at all so any general info you could give me would be great as well. I’ve tried researching a bit but I felt like I was drowning in info. All I gleaned is that I should be looking for a double action, gravity fed brush.

I’d appreciate any tips, advice, or help. Thank you

To be honest I do not think you would want anything for 75. unlike somethings, you get what you pay for in airbrushes. I am also new to the hobby and I have gone with the cheaper of the better brands. I got a Badger Renagade Krome with a paasche d5000 compressor, 2 com-art paint kits and a 6 foot hose for just under 300. Some guys here will pay over $700 for just the brush. I heard a Iwata Neo was a decent starter brush and I have seen them online for as little as 66 dollars. The worst thing about cheap airbrushes is the replacement parts. The compressor does not really matter as long as you are not worried about noise.

hi central, and welcome. you are certainly right on the double action gravity feed brush.double action is imperative for shading purposes and gives you alot more control over what you are doing. now.....what brand....the best brands are iwata, and harder& steenbeck, if you are stateside then badger is a good option for starting out as its an american brand so you don't pay huge export on top. I suppose if you are just starting them you really want to keep it as cheap as possible to see if you like it (which you will)
so models....... harder and steenbeck do an entry level brush called the ultra, iwata also do an entry level called the neo which I'm sure people in here will give you there views on and badger have many brushes within your price range.
now compressors, I don't know much about brands but obviously airbrush components do do their own which can be very expensive, but really what you are lookin for us one with a storage tank, regulator and moisture trap. hoses should come supplied but if not then it wants to be 3-5 metres long and preferably coiled (helps with trapping moisture)
paint...... paint is really down to personal preference but createx do a brand called wicked colour which is great because its suitable for most surfaces and us quite hard wearing.

that should give you a point in the right direction and help you with your research.also watch the airbrush tutorials on here as mitch describes things really well.I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to add to what I have all ready said.

adam

and if you wanted to spend only 20 bucks some people here have had reasonable experiences of the cheap chinese knock offs

Not sure what country you are in so really hard to tell you the best brush for the buck.
Iwata Neo is a really good affordable starter brush.

as mentioned earlier though, you do get what you pay for, spend the maximum you can on the brush especially if you intend on painting alot

one thing about the neo is you can only use water based paints, or with very low solvent like wicked so you wouldnt be able to use it with ceramic paints from what ive read

I would go for the best brush you can afford, otherwise if you struggle you'll be forever wondering if it's your skills or the quality of the brush that is to blame. Having said that, check out a company called everythingairbrush.co.uk. I bought a BD 135A when I first started, and still use it as my back up now. The parts are reasonable if they need replacing at any time, and the service is great. Not sure where you are but I know they ship abroad. It's not as good as my Iwata of course, but it is surprisingly useable for the money, and even better when well lubed. The finish inside the cup has come off over time making clean up a bit awkward, and the trigger assembly is fairly fiddly compared to a more expensive brush, but I have got really good results with it.

A tool is a tool is a tool, and an airbrush is a tool. decide how hard you will use it and buy accordingly.

Back