For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

looking back to my old work

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Ronald art, Jun 3, 2018.

1. RichardH

RichardH Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Ronald, you have helped me without you knowing how much you have. I think most here have a disability when it comes to painting something. I know I do and have been able to work around mine. When you was teaching ( I think it was Rick) how to paint the dragon, I followed along and you showed me that it was possible I could do something that resembled a dragon. It is hanging on my wall.
    I would love to be able to do better but time and ability is not on my bucket list. Just do the best we can do and enjoy every minute from it.
    You are and have been an inspiration to me to do the best of it everyday.
    I look forward to seeing your work for a long time coming.
    Now let's get back to painting a masterpiece. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Richard
    SiRoxx likes this.
  2. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

thanks Richard , just keep on painting and as important play with your paint and airbrush find out all there is to know about your paint and the rest will become easy just give it time
    it took me over a year before I could even think about picking up the airbrush again and about just as long to train my hand to operate the airbrush like I used to do but I had help from Bill Edwards ( etac paints) to find the color I was able to see and use and from airbrush friends who provided me with custom made trigger pads that gave me the grip and control I lost
    if you need any help just shoot me a message and I will see what I can do to help you out
  3. RichardH

RichardH Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Thanks @Ronald art
    I have learned a tremendous amount since I started airbrushing and you was part of the inspiration. I don't think most will ever learn what they want or would like to learn. My drawback with color is I can't get a color to match the reference, even close. I have all the tools and charts and programs anyone could want and still can't get even close. So, I just pick a color straight from the bottle that is close and use that. I've learned trigger control (for the most part) and air pressure, so that has been learned from just using the brush and playing with the paint. My trigger finger will twitch every now and then and I have been using the adjustment on the back of brush to make sure it doesn't spray a big blob. I'm nowhere near the ability I would like to be at but ( you know) I am having a lot of fun with what I can do.

Just keep this in your mind: YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO A LOT OF US.:thumbsup:
  4. Tuffnutz

Tuffnutz Artist of the Month! Artist of the Month! Very Likeable!

Anything more than 10 mins is old for me.:)
  5. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

@RichardH I did learn how to color match but I hate working with opaque paints and the many layers you need to spray to get the max saturation to reach the exact color and I stopped with the color matching thing after a year or so and switched to using the colors Etac provides like I did on the 2 portraits in this thread
    I used the etac efx flesh tone as the base color and used it as if it was a transparent paint laying down a monochrome base portrait I used the brown ocher to create the final skin tone and burnt umber for the dark parts the end result is not a 100% exact color match with the ref photo I used but it comes real close and to me that was what it was all about : creating a realistic portrait with out getting a copy from the photo
    I still paint my colored portraits like this and I still remember the reaction I got from the young woman when she saw her portrait and from the tribal museum comity when they found out I had painted these portraits

as for the trigger finger : I guess you use a bit to much tension on that finger try to be as relaxed as you can and forget there is a airbrush in your hands but that is easier said than done as I had to learn it twice
    SiRoxx and RichardH like this.