Looking forward to learning

D

dlh

I'm new to airbrushing. I'm into RC cars and have painted with rattle cans. Also into building models as I did as a kid. (not a kid anymore). Hope I can learn from "the masters" here.

Dave

Hey hey welcome to New Zealand. Do you have any brushes? What part of the world are you in?

Hey hey welcome to New Zealand. Do you have any brushes? What part of the world are you in?
Well . . . I bought one of those Master kits. Compressor seems OK, but I think I can see why the Master brushes are so cheap. So I'm leaning toward an Iwata Eclipse, maybe even an HP +C. In all of my other hobbies I've learned to go with good stuff, but I do occasionally buy cheap stuff to start!?
I'm in southern Pennsylvania, retired, so lots of time to build stuff.

Tear down the airbrush, give it a good clean and then reassemble. The cheapies are good for learning with. Mine sprayed well enough to let me know that with good equipment I would be hooked, as well as teaching me how to maintain them.

You wont go wrong with a brand name brush, you may even have a good 'cheapie' that will last you for awhile.
@DaveG has some great threads on some of the cheaper end brushes and what he has done to 'modify' them for improved performance

Huh? What? Someone call my name? Oh, Hi Dave, and welcome!

I do indeed have a fair collection of Master, and other inexpensive imports. Some of them can be real gems, but many more of them are really not suitable for watering plants, let alone painting... If you know the model number associated with your Master, that may help indicate which end of the spectrum you are in :).

Reading through the other posts in this thread, I can see you are already looking ahead. There are a good number of brushes that I can think of that will fit the bill for what you are looking for. The Iwata's you mention are certainly up there as candidates. There are also some that I can think of that are not quite as expensive, namely some of the Badger airbrushes, that you may consider also. Not as nicely made as the Iwata's, but they do what they are supposed to do. We can get more into these kinds of conversations as you stick around for a while...;)

Hi there and welcome from the UK :) What size are the models etc you want to paint? That might make it easier to make a decision regarding new brush, the nozzle size you need, whether you need a tiny cup, or even side cup etc.

Hello dlh! Look forward to learning right alongside with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there and welcome from the UK :) What size are the models etc you want to paint? That might make it easier to make a decision regarding new brush, the nozzle size you need, whether you need a tiny cup, or even side cup etc.
I have a Revell 1/25 BMW 320i that I'm going to try to build just like the real one I used to own. No "artsy" stuff on this; it's my first airbrushing project. So I'm just going to use the brush to get good results on the small pieces. I'll be using a combination of Testors and Tamiya paints. I ordered touch-up paint to match the original car; it's urethane. So after reading all the caveats of spraying urethane, I might not use it. (It requires a clear coat too.) I've ordered a spraybooth and a respirator. I might try to match the original car color by mixing the other paints I have. Is it possible to spray from a rattle can into a cup and then use that in the airbrush?

An Iwata Eclipse is on its way to my house.

Dave

Back