For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Magnets

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by SiRoxx, Apr 26, 2018.

1. DaveG

DaveG Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

magnetic whiteboard ( I use a 32"X40") and neo magnets here, too. I have several different types, small diameter long ones @ 2X8mm - I find that I actually wind up laying them on their sides to use them, cause when they are sticking up they become an obstacle to paint around. 3X10mm round, and 4X5mm round. I would opt for short height after using them for a while. You can stack them to pick them up - take a stack of 4 or 5 or more, and use that to pick up singles...
    jord001, SiRoxx and doc1 like this.
  2. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

I"ve lost count of the number of Magnets I've bought..... cylinder, disc, rectangular, cubes.....

the cylinders are fine unless you get just that little bit to close to the other one you put down a minute ago..... it will all of a sudden snap towards it and that starts a whole domino effect . . . all the little magnets all lined up in a row :D:laugh:

the cubes are definately better to use, i have the small 5mm ones and they're great, not to much trouble to pick up when you stack them as Dave has suggested. .

i also bought a few 10mm ones . . you'll need a crowbar if you use them on a single sheet of paper. Great for thin MDF / claybord etc though !
    jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  3. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

@Malky nobody can say that I don’t take advice lol.
    [​IMG]
    I got this from a shop called The Works for a fiver. I found it online and decided to go to the shop the next day. In the mean time I started to plan making a leg to stand it in either portrait or landscape.
    Then when I got there found this for £9.
    [​IMG]
    Bargain all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. huskystafford

huskystafford Mac-Valve Maestro!

great job!
    SiRoxx likes this.
  5. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

Nice one, you're white board kooks the same as mine, what is used as a backing on yours, mine turned out to be card board, so I intend to remove the the wooden frame from around it and take the cardboard off then glue the metal part to a piece of plywood to make it more sturdy, I tend to lean on mine a lot so as it is now it would very likely quickly become deformed.

I bought a tripod that stands and folds just like yours but it has telescopic legs so it can either stand on a table like yours or stand on the floor so that I can work standing, I have constant back pain but the pain is far less when I stand although I normally prefer to sit so it gives me the choice, my only concern is that with both yours and mine provides no support at the top right and left, mine was 17 quid but I bought it just so as to get started up as soon as I can, then when I can make something more study this one will make a nice display stand so its not wasted money:)
    SiRoxx likes this.
  6. DaveG

DaveG Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

nice score on the white board! Once I started working on one, I never looked back. I usually elevate mine on my drawing table to work with the angle of my forearm while sitting in my chair. The more towards the top of my work, the higher I generally tilt it, so that I don't have to lean so much to work on it...
    drawing table1.jpg
    doc1, SiRoxx and Malky like this.
  7. SiRoxx

Mine has the cardboard back too, so sounds like it’s probably the same thing. I’ll be giving it a whirl later this week.

8. SiRoxx

Thanks Dave. I’ve found that I lean a little with one finger, mainly it’s steadying rather than leaning I guess.

9. Malky

You have a great set up Dave, because of my back problems the slightest hint of a crouch causes excrutiating pain so mine has to be almost vertical, I've actually considered just hanging mine on the wall.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    DaveG likes this.
  10. Malky

I thought it might be, I do lot with erasing and scratching techniques so I'm naturally afraid of damaging the board, the white wood surround is the give away, the more expensive ones have an aluminium surround like Dave's and my old one had a galvanised steel backing, but it was heavy, the most important part of it is the white front plate which you can really stick to anything you want.

I've been in the room where I intend to work since you posted yours trying to decide what to do, but I have a feeling it's going to be stuck to the wall, if I need/want to sit I can use a high stool which is also good for my back.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    SiRoxx likes this.
  11. SiRoxx

I’d also thought that if the frame seems like it’s not going to hold out, that I’d move the white part to something more substantial. Or just buy a more expensive one if I like the way it works for me.

12. SiRoxx

Thanks Mate. I think I’ll be set for a little bit.

huskystafford likes this.
  13. huskystafford

huskystafford Mac-Valve Maestro!

I love those projects on forum. You guys gave me bunch of cool ideas. :D
    SiRoxx likes this.
  14. SiRoxx

Great! That’s why sharing idea is good. By sharing mine you guys have saved me a lot of time by suggesting an easier way to do it. By having it public, other people can read and come up with their own idea. It’s awesome.

JackEb and huskystafford like this.