Master C28 vs TC20

Ah, I see that it includes the moisture trap, but no regulator.
What kind of work/parts does it require to fit a regulator?

I have a two cylinder airbrush compressor and it stores enough air in the long hose to keep constant pressure with a regulator on it. If you want something cheap to goof off with, buy the master g22 and a cheap Home Depot pancake compressor on Black Friday. Should be able to get by spending $50. The compressor will be loud and the airbrush will be frustrating, but it's a cheap start

I have a two cylinder airbrush compressor and it stores enough air in the long hose to keep constant pressure with a regulator on it.

This. I use a Badger 180-11, which is basically the Badger equivalent of the Iwata compressor you're looking at, and putting a regular pneumatic shop hose between the compressor and the regulator has smoothed out the airflow nicely.

I tried attaching it to a tank, but it doesn't really work. The compressor just fills the tank up to 45psi or so, then shuts off, then constantly turns on and off on about a 1 second cycle as the pressure dips below that threshold during painting. I'd need to hack a proper controller circuit into the compressor to make it behave like a tanked compressor (which is doable, and I may do it). So I'm pretty sure the electronics are different between a tanked and tankless compressor, even if the compressor unit itself is the same model.

It seems really weird IMO that a compressor would come with a trap but not a regulator, given that a regulator is A) essential, and B) attached upstream from the trap ("reg but no trap" would be more modular than "trap but no reg"). Especially since reg/trap combo units have become so common, and Iwata even makes them too.

Probably the cheapest one I could find locally. They send 20-25% coupons once in a while.

ECL4501 Iwata Eclipse CS Airbrush Set. with 10' braided hose. --$149
https://www.currys.com/product.htm?Product=ECL4501&Source=Category&Category=IWATA_AIRBRUSHES

IS850 Iwata Smart Jet Studio Compressor. --$316.59
Is this a good compressor?
https://www.currys.com/product.htm?Product=IS850&Source=Category&Category=IWATA_COMPRESSORS

Maybe I will get these two once I decide to go for it.

Probably worth buying this kit @ --$480.
Not sure what kind of hose it comes with. The brush above comes with a 10" braided one.

IW200 Iwata Deluxe Airbrush Set
https://www.currys.com/product.htm?Product=IW200&Source=Category&Category=IWATA_AIRBRUSHES

WOW, the IW200 kit is now $720. was $480 last time I was looking at.
I lose.

Welcome back... depends. Chicago airbrush is selling a badger patriot airrush for 59.00 this weekend.. iwata compressors are way overpriced. They are made by sparmax fyi. If noise is not an issue, a compreasor from a home improvement store is a good.choise

Check hobby lobby or AC Moore they have 50% off just about all the time I got a badger TC-200 Compresser for 180.00 USD . And coast airbrush has HP-CS FOR 140.00 at reg price and will match prices most of the time

It is expensive to get started, but particularly with airbrushes you really will save money in the long run. You may have to replace a needle and nozzle once a year (unless you play hello airbrush, hello floor) but the brush will last a life time. A cheaper brush you will still replace parts, plus o rings springs etc, then when it still doesn't perform well, end up replacing it anyway. Airbrushes really are one of those you get what you pay for things, they may look similar on the outside, but the machine quality, and grade of materials used to make them make them very different animals. Its a case of buy well, buy once. The major manufacturers are also pretty good at trouble shooting guns with issues, and will even refurb or occasionally replace them. Plus branded brushes are just easier to use and learn on, a lower end branded brush will be infinitely better than a cheapie, and way less frustrating to use.

Compressors can be super expensive, but unless noise is an issue, any compressor from a hardware store will do the job. They are LOUD though. Some people get these then swap out the motors for fridge motors. There are a couple of threads about it you may find if you do a search - you do need to be a bit handy though.

After the initial outlay though it's not expensive. You only need a few colours, you can mix your own, and a surface to paint on, all the rest are optional extra and nice to have, but not needed.

Last edited:
face it airbrushing is not cheap , a good compressor will eat up a big part if not all your budget , a basic good airbrush will do the same and even if you are lucky enough to get both for your budget you have nothing left for paint and stencils tec. , my advice save up a bit more expand your budget to at least double the amount before you start looking

Back