Max Pigment Size

C

Chase

I am looking to add some glow in the dark effects to my work. I have looked around a bit and I am interested in a pack of Glow in the Dark pigments to add into existing acrylic paints.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluorescent-...847&sr=8-10&keywords=glow+in+the+dark+pigment

In the description, it mentions a pigment size of 30-50 Microns (I was surprised to see a Micron size at all!). I believe Creatix lists their acrylic pigments as being under 1 micron.

Is pigment this size way too large to effectively use with an airbrush?

I am running a .35mm nozzle at the moment.

its not designed for airbrush, if you read their info:-
"This is the ideal size for general craft projects including resin/epoxy, paintings, murals, glass blowing, wax, jewelry making, etc"

just grab the createx 'UV base' it comes in either white or green base.

Thanks @JackEb, that line also gave me pause, but I have been using quite a few paints not designed for airbrush so I would consider trying something like this if it would work.

Is the UV base actually glow in the dark / phosphorescent? Or is it meant for black lights?

Thanks @JackEb, that line also gave me pause, but I have been using quite a few paints not designed for airbrush so I would consider trying something like this if it would work.
Is the UV base actually glow in the dark / phosphorescent? Or is it meant for black lights?

They're designed for UV lights (black light)
Createx also do a line of fluorescent paint and according to their website "Wicked Fluorescent Colors fluoresce (emit light)" I don't have any of those so cant say for certain that they will do what you want.

What you are suggesting is that you want to put 30-50micron particles through something that's designed to accept something its not designed for:
From the create website:
Wicked Colors are sheered to a binder size of 0.5 microns
Wicked Detail Colors are sheered to a particle size of 0.1 microns
I definitely wouldn't put anything other than airbrush specific paint into a airbrush, that's just asking for trouble. Meeshell has got the right reaction ....
EEEKKKKK!!

I have reduced several varieties of Acrylic paint with little to no issues. I am interested to know what size of pigments standard acrylic paints use compared to the >1 micron pigments made by Creatix. Specifically, I have been using Games Workshop paints designed for miniatures.

So considering I have not yet done any perceivable damage to my airbrush, what is the worst that could happen if I attempted using this glow powder pigment in my airbrush paints? Having to do a thorough cleaning is the worst case scenario I can think of. I am still new though and there are probably horror stories out there I have not heard lol.

main problem with powders of any kind it they will clump together when added to the binder. That is why most will suggest you using something designed for the airbrush.
But it is your airbrush and you money so you never know until you try . I do hope you have a .5 or larger set up on that airbrush .
Oh and worse case is it gums up so bad that trying to clear it cracks the nozzle . Been there still waiting on a tshirt LOL

Yes and as it is more likely to block, and you will be having to clean out pigment that is too large, the nozzle can flare. Also what psi are you using? For fine work you really need to crank down the pressure, (some go as low as 5psi). It depends what you want to use your AB for, but those wanting to be able to learn different techniques and more detail etc would be limited, and find it harder to master them. So other paint can be used, but it will affect performance and results, plus more likely to damage parts. Larger pigment means more psi, which means less control and more overspray and depending on what you are using the brush for, slower or even no, progress.

There is also the issue of things being more dangerous as they are atomised. The paint you are using may be fine. But its something to consider. Masks are recommended for airbrush paint , even though they are meant to be atomised. Those that aren't made for that purpose could have nasty health implications.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I agree that even if it does work to some extent, it is going to be a huge hassle and get really frustrating.

Is there a glow in the dark paint for airbrush? There is the Creatix Glow line, but I think those are only activated by UV light. I also read last night that some glow pigments have a larger size to allow for more light absorption. So maybe airbrush is simply incompatible with the requirements for an effective glow pigment.

Back