Medieval Rivets How To?

Cousinsfan

Young Tutorling
medieval-1

helmet.jpg

Can anyone give me a quick idea on how to do the quadrants of the diamond interiors?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and I fixed your post being when you use an outside site it can close or be down which makes threads like this useless .

Hmmm...what do you mean fixed it? (I know you said why but I'm not understanding...you mean the link to the pic?)

For the diamond interior...you said a simple star...but how to get 4 "quadrants" at different shades?

What if...masking 1/2 of the diamond, and then paint (get you 1/2 light, 1/2 dark), then rotate the mask 90deg and paint the same shade. Would this result in one really dark quadrant, and then the two opposite quadrants medium, and one remaining quadrant unpainted (light)... :) ?

Somehow, though, the middle has white lines, as well. Maybe "do a star" in white will do this...

Am I overthinking it?

THANKS

Hmmm...what do you mean fixed it? (I know you said why but I'm not understanding...you mean the link to the pic?)

For the diamond interior...you said a simple star...but how to get 4 "quadrants" at different shades?

What if...masking 1/2 of the diamond, and then paint (get you 1/2 light, 1/2 dark), then rotate the mask 90deg and paint the same shade. Would this result in one really dark quadrant, and then the two opposite quadrants medium, and one remaining quadrant unpainted (light)... :) ?

Somehow, though, the middle has white lines, as well. Maybe "do a star" in white will do this...

Am I overthinking it?

THANKS

What he means is that if the website you linked us to went down for any reason we would be taken nowhere so your link would be useless, Herb has embedded your reference photo so that we can always see it.

When you do your diamonds do them all the same colour as your background, then just choose where to add your highlights with white and shadows with black, when I say choose I mean you have to decide where your imaginary light source is coming from, once you do that your shadows would be 180 degrees opposite, so if your light source is coming from a 10 o'clock position your shadows will be at 4 o'clock, I would suggest you play around with some practice using the link I have given you so you can get an understanding of how it works before you set about a proper project, test pieces are a good way of learning new things.

The white lines in the middle emphasize that the diamond is 3d or embossed/raised so placement of highlights and shadows applies here too, but again just practice it until you have a convincing result.

Last edited:
So I just gave this a shot and for not having the correct paint or masks, turned out ok. Learned something anyway, that's what counts. Thanks.

Now that's exactly what I'm talking about, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs and sometimes the only way to learn is to just jump straight in and give it a try, successes like this very often come out of simple tests, this is an excellent result Vince, but even it wasn't you would still have learned from it:thumbsup:

Doing some research Medieval armor rivets were round for the most part . Shields however used square rivets medieval square rivets.jpg Using this reference you can aim the highlights toward your light source and then paint what you see (of course in your choice of color )

Back