metaliic orange is a thing!

bex

Needle-chuck Ninja
or not , apparently....

so im painting my personal showcar.
im stressed as hell coz i only have two weeks which really isnt helping my decision making processat all and the theme i decided on apparently will look rubbish. :(

according to the paint company i use.

but as i want that look im stuck with it now.

so my cars getting a tiger theme mural on the front over black base will hopefully look cool, im all happy with that but the back of the car isnt looked at as much so i just need a custom paint that stands out . to go with my tiger theme i have my 2nd choice of paint which i have chosen to do base orange and as i have some rainbow flake i thought i shall put that over will look awesome. - paint company disagrees - they say its gonna look like sand in my paint. :cry:...

my 1st choiceimages.jpg images (1).jpg (images pulled off google - not my work but wow its awesome i love this look! great work from a lowrider artist here) i really really wanted the low rider candy sparkle theme look. which im pretty sure is silver base, rainbow flake and them orange candy - but not knowing any low rider painters im not 100% the paint combination or process to apply it and the company still said adding the candy orange over it will look rubbish i doubted and though this could be an extremely expensive mistake. and went for my 2nd choice above and in my head im expecting to get this type of look (again not my work or image i pulled from google to reference what i thinking i can achieve).anotherpeek.jpg

instantly regretting getting base orange now but as the paint company should know their thing so im am completely doubting what this will look like.

the guy is really friendly he knows me and my car i have used them for paints for ages and i know he knows his paint stuff so i am completely doubting myself to stick with the sparkle orange theme. :cry::eek:ops:

i have seen the orange metallic on cars (the company i uses say the dont do orange metallic as apparently even that looks rubbish )
i have seen pictures on google of orange with flake paint over
and i have seen the awesome low riders

all different applications and types of paint i know - but surely what im trying to do is some how achievable.

***completely regretting not ordering silver and the candy orange to have a go at the low rider look- i have only been off the phone 10 minutes and am completely disillusioned now as to getting my theme. ..

Last edited:
Thats not good news and on such a tight time scale,how about using the ford orange and putting flake in the clearfocus_st_wp_b.jpg

Reactions: bex
i ordered a orange similar to that and have the flake so i think thats what i will do. im on the impression it will look ok..

im just questioning the choice thanks to the advice of the paint company who say it wont look good at all. i was told it will look like sand in the paint. and if i put too much flake on it will go to a dull grey and the orange will look like it is covered in dust all the time.. he says it will only look ok in really bright sunlight so in UK it will always look quite a bad finish.. and yep that is just not what i wanted to here. it made for a quick decision over the phone to order something and im left feeling really deflated about my choice.

I think personally I would have used a pearlescent and then orange candy over it,what flake did you get?

my 1st choiceView attachment 43487 View attachment 43486 (images pulled off google - not my work but wow its awesome i love this look! great work from a lowrider artist here) i really really wanted the low rider candy sparkle theme look. which im pretty sure is silver base, rainbow flake and them orange candy - but not knowing any low rider painters im not 100% the paint combination or process to apply it and the company still said adding the candy orange over it will look rubbish i doubted and though this could be an extremely expensive mistake. and went for my 2nd choice above and in my head im expecting to get this type of look (again not my work or image i pulled from google to reference what i thinking i can achieve).View attachment 43485

They put weeks into a paint job
You have pretty much nailed how the Homies do it. But a lot of time they flake every layer , Silver flaked base, sand intercoat clear with rainbow flake , sand graphics , intercoat clear sand candy coat clear coat sand buff polish .

Last edited:
its a large flake i remeber it needing to go through the 1,8 tip last time.

Nowadays I only use the small flake .i am presuming the rainbow / holo flake is orange to go on the orange base and if so that should look ok especially if you are using orange candy over the top followed by a lot of clear .

I was told not to get the orange candy as it wouldn't look good. o_O

Also I tried the small flake over silver and orange candy on another panel look good but isn't in your faces enough form me. lol.. I want it seen from miles away.

Incidentally my second run in with paint suppliers has just happened..

So. I buy my base paints else where as I can pick them up same day instead of waiting for delivery. -
So for the black background under the tiger mural I went for a base black. They refused to sell me 2k. As EU law now states it can only be sold to trade to used on tractors and bikes.
If I have to go to using waterbase on bases they will react with solvents over the top. That's crazy ..... What a freaking stupid law!
I am presuming only effect EU country? and I'm in the UK.
I'm not having fun with purchased today....

Yep thats the law now,I get away by using a company name and telling them its for trucks as 2K is still allowed for use on trucks.

For a tight time scale I think I might have just gone for a heavy coarse metallic silver base, then done the tiger stripes or whatever and then orange candy all over. Probably not the heavy flake look you're after, but would save a lot of time burying with clear. Done something similar and it looked great. And even on a dull day still looked a nice orange. Heavy flake on a dull day can just look like sandpaper, even buried in clear. Who are your paint suppliers?

I go to one in Lowford near Tesco Bursledon, don't know how well you know the area?? They don't suffer fools, and can be a bit on the grumpy side, but have always done us proud. Only a little shop but will mix up most anything for you and let you look at all their colour books etc. Just bought some black from them. Maybe as just a little independant place they are just a bit behind with new laws though.

Will it react with solvent? I tried some waterbased paints from a local garage that wanted me to do the occasional thing for them and who has switched to a waterbased system. Tested it with 2K clear to see how it reacted and it came out fine. I use Wicked for auto murals etc which is water based, but does have a tiny amount of solvent and it clears no worries but that is not pure water based, however E'tac is and I know people clear over that. I don't know a whole lot about solvents apart from base coat and clear though.

I guess its something we are going to need to figure out, although until they come up with a waterbased clearcoat, it seems daft to me. One thing I did notice with a waterbased base is that is was easy to damage. I tested it by wiping with different cloths, tack cloths damp cloths etc, scuffing, spilling water on it etc just to see how it held up, and it did come off. To be fair though that may have been unfamilar paint not being applied to its best in the first place.

Yes i eventsully got some, as im painting a "bike" :rolleyes:... I'm not gonna get away with it all the time though ....

I have a company name that didn't matter.

And the other company I use has never asked. So I'm quite confused as to this new law I have come across. I know they want werterbase for less voc release. I worked in industrial spraying and body shops so I know about the chemicals but seems daft to just draw a line now. And tractor and Bike painting reases just as much and is a big industry. . it's all gonna still gos through body shops. I'm sure it made sense to some politicians when they made this rule.

I love what I just read from BMW about this and how they get around the law. lol i mean work to reduce their solvent output.
apparently they use a more potant solvent base paint but scrap primers and put on less coats on so release less VOCs and everyone's happy. Think they paid someone

@Squishy
I knew I should have gone silver and candy. Too late now.
I use Inspire for all the airbrush stuff and I use express paints portmouth for bases..
The laquer is a 2kshow shine from Inspire and no matter what I do ivalwaysbswem to get a reaction when waterbases are involved.

I (I should say we, as hubs does some of the clearing) use U-pol, and touch wood, no issues in that area. (Hope I didn't just curse myself lol)

upol is too soft for my liking and doesnt polish up like the 2k showshine i use does.that stuff is like glass after polishing .. i am unsure how im going to get round this 2k restriction? and i dont understand why one company will sell it and another wont thats just odd.

right lots of coffee and this chat on here about paints and im just about calmed down. decided im just gonna roll with it - so its going to go orange with large flake - and i dont care it is what it looks like afterwards. what ever it looks like its gonna be on the back of the car so sod it! the front is the focal point.. its is what it is.. ....... off to get more coffee.... :p

I guess we all have our faves. I love Upol, real deep glassy shine and hard as nails, good petrol resistance too. Its what my paint shop sells the pros, it def worked well with water based too.

Hope the car comes out well. What's going on the front?

Back