Microns ordered! Tips very welcome!

A

Arent Jack

Hi guys!

I ordered an Iwata Custom Micron CM-C plus v2 and a CM-SB v2. Any tips for daily use? I have no idea how to clean the CM-SB or how to prepare it for the next color. What is the ideal psi setting for it? I only ever used gravity feed...

Same as you do any airbrush, Run some reducer through it to wash out the old color then add in the new. The only time I do a total tear down is if I happen to get a bad clog or I know I will be storing it away for a long time.

Same as you do any airbrush, Run some reducer through it to wash out the old color then add in the new. The only time I do a total tear down is if I happen to get a bad clog or I know I will be storing it away for a long time.
That’s a relief! I thought it would be very complicated!

no more hazardous than any other brush, except you'll be nervous because the nozzles/head assemblies arent cheap.....

Its common for new owners of side feeds to not realise that the bottom of the cup unscrews to aid in cleaning, just dont lose the little plasic disc. Sometimes the bottom is on pretty tight so it might need a bit of help from a rag and pliers :)

Interdental brushes are great at getting into the small tube. you can also remove the plug on the opposite side and use a pipecleaner to clean right through the body from one side to the other.

dont use the standard 'airbrush cleaning brushes' on any airbrush the wire can damage the airbrush, use them in the shed instead.

I don't own a Micron (yet ;) ) but as far as pressure and reducing go, you will probably want something very thin and you will be able to go very low on pressure - down to 5 psi or so. At least that is what my Infinity likes. Did you mean siphon feed?

i can go lower psi with my CM-SB than i with my CM-B, it doesnt make any sense at all but i can.

no more hazardous than any other brush, except you'll be nervous because the nozzles/head assemblies arent cheap.....

Its common for new owners of side feeds to not realise that the bottom of the cup unscrews to aid in cleaning, just dont lose the little plasic disc. Sometimes the bottom is on pretty tight so it might need a bit of help from a rag and pliers :)

Interdental brushes are great at getting into the small tube. you can also remove the plug on the opposite side and use a pipecleaner to clean right through the body from one side to the other.

dont use the standard 'airbrush cleaning brushes' on any airbrush the wire can damage the airbrush, use them in the shed instead.
Yeah I am kind of nervous because of the price of the nozzles! Will be afraid to use them without nozzle cap!!! What do you use for the inside? Just cotton buds? Are they safe to use in the sonic cleaner with this MAC valve?

I use Createx Illustration paints straight out the bottle at 23psi. Has plenty of tip dry so the needle cap needs to be off so you can clean the needle.
You can avoid tip dry by thinning with reducer 3/1 to paint, sprays perfect, just needs more coats to achieve saturation, I use this a lot to shift colours around!

Yeah I am kind of nervous because of the price of the nozzles! Will be afraid to use them without nozzle cap!!! What do you use for the inside? Just cotton buds? Are they safe to use in the sonic cleaner with this MAC valve?

I use Baby buds for my side feed, then run water through it till it sprays clear. Usually about 4-5cups, if you keep your gun clean you shouldn't have to take the noozle out, it's all good practice really.saying that we all make mistakes and leave the paint in the gun overnight and need to strip down the whole thing :( worry about that when it happens! Plenty of info here about it!
Get a x60 Loupe, you can't assess a noozle or needle state without one - Foxy sell a good one

I use Baby buds for my side feed, then run water through it till it sprays clear. Usually about 4-5cups, if you keep your gun clean you shouldn't have to take the noozle out, it's all good practice really.saying that we all make mistakes and leave the paint in the gun overnight and need to strip down the whole thing :( worry about that when it happens! Plenty of info here about it!
Get a x60 Loupe, you can't assess a noozle or needle state without one - Foxy sell a good one
I’m not sure what baby buds are? Some type of cloth!!? I got s small digital microscope that goes up to 1000x! Works great!

Hi guys!

I ordered an Iwata Custom Micron CM-C plus v2 and a CM-SB v2. Any tips for daily use? I have no idea how to clean the CM-SB or how to prepare it for the next color. What is the ideal psi setting for it? I only ever used gravity feed...

It's always great choice to buy a micron!;)

Here are some ideas for you.

For preparing the AB for the next colour you need to clean the paint passage with water or solvent (depending on the paint you use). For side feed there's good idea to use 2Oz bottle.
You can also buy different cups for the side feed. I prefer those with the lids.

cups.JPG

Part number for the bottle:

2oz_bottle.JPG

Ideas for cleaning the cup:

cup_cleaning.JPG

I also use these brushes for cleaning paint passages inside the ABs.

For the nozzle buy nozzle sealant. For all the ABs it's great thing, especially for the expensive micron nozzles. When using the sealant you need to apply less pressure, so no need to worry if you'd break it or not while tightening the nozzle. And after the cleaning, where the last step is applying the sealant, your ABs always spray like new.

Thanks so much for the tips! I ordered the bottle! I also ordered liquid gasket as nozzle sealant, it’s blue, is that the kind you use? Thanks again so much!

Thanks so much for the tips! I ordered the bottle! I also ordered liquid gasket as nozzle sealant, it’s blue, is that the kind you use? Thanks again so much!

If you ordered two micron airbrushes bear in mind these are precision tools as is reflected in the price, they don't come with nozzle sealant because they just don't need it, if you take an iwata micron out if it's box brand new and discover it does need sealant then there is something wrong with it and you should send it back, I strongly advise you never to put anything on your brush that wasn't on it already, of all the iwatas I've had I have never needed any type of sealant anywhere near the head, I've occasionally had bubbles at the nozzle cap but as suggested by the vendor I simply screwed off the nozzle cap and replaced it, you will only need sealant if your brush is really old and parts get worn or you drop the brush and end up with a slight bend or broken threads.

When your brushes arrive, before the first use carefully remove the needles and clean off any factory oils because they gunge up after a while of sitting around, replace your needles and run a little cleaner through and you're ready to go, if you clean them properly after use you don't need to do anything else.

Man, don't apply that blue liquid gasket!!! Show it here before putting it onto the AB nozzle thread. You can get into a story, if I think what that stuff is. It's hardening into a state when you'll need a heat gun to unscrew your nozzle and more likely you'll break it. Though, this sealant I use anywhere on air line threads and in other places where good permanent sealing of the threads is required.

For AB nozzles there's great stuff in the kit http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/airbrush-maintenance-kit.19236/
I highly recommend the sealant from this kit.

Back