Minwax one coat

Robbyrockett2

Air-Valve Autobot!
Makes a fantastic clear or intercoat. I use gloss thinned to flow. It's water based , extremely clear non-yellowing. It levels itself pretty decent.

Scratching or erasing from over top of it is a breeze.

It's not as hard as Polycrylic but polycrylic doesn't thin well. You have to absolutely soak something in thinned polycrylic to get any kind of actual layer.

The VOC's are pretty high and it does say do not thin next to the VOC label, so respirator recommended even though it deceptively has almost no odor. Runs about $14 a quart so you have enough to last forever.

I haven't noticed any ill effects from thinning and I've used it for a long time through big spray guns. Just finding it works great for airbrushing too.

Last edited:
Good to know. Thanks for passing on the knowledge [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One caveat, It takes a while to harden completely. It dries to touch about as fast as any other varnish but if your planning to scratch down to it, it works better if it's given a few hours.

Just water. I've found since this that It's really only good as a a final finish. scratching over liquitex gloss varnish works better.
Be aware it never gets super hard.

OK. May have a use for this when it comes to finishing some paintings that I don't want to spray with urathane clear coat.

Back