For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

mixing gray scale

Discussion in 'Airbrush Paints' started by crash bandicoot, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

I'm with you oddball, I'm a winger. Does it look ok - yes - that'll do Lol. It's this attitude that has got me where I am today, which is .............oh. nowhere!......hmmmmmmmmmm. LOL!!!!! Oh well, if it looks right to me, and no one tells me any different, then a winger I shall forever be :)
  2. KustomCandy

KustomCandy Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

The Grey scale comes from The Photographic field in the days of Silver Halide film camera's. That be your run of te mill 35mm film :)
    Colour or B/W didnt matter. All camera's read the light emited thro the lens to a photo cell to tell you the recommended exposure setting. The key word here was 'Recommended' Non of us as students ever relied upon it, Because we would be manipulating the image it in the dark room anyway.

Point is. Learn to mix on the fly. As Rebal said. Find a Mid Grey and stick to it.
    What I would add here is. Make this Mid Grey scale your base. DO write it down!

Once your into a project. Work on your scales. If and when you adjust. Make Notes and write them down so you can replicate them.
    Lastly... This may or may not be relivent any more. but, AA use to be bad for Pigment suspension drop out when reduced and left over night.
    So mix your Shade. But DONT reduce until your ready to use it. This will keep a much better consistency with your Mixture.

Dan
    RichardH likes this.
  3. wickedartstudio

wickedartstudio Needle-chuck Ninja

No mistake. It is a 63:1 ratio. Notice 5 drops (as opposed to 1 for the others) of black listed with 315 drops of white for the 20% value which is the same as 1 drop of black and 63 drops of white. Not sure why I typed it with the larger mix. Sorry for the confusion!
  4. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Spider Splatterer

Better late than never. hahahha
    wickedartstudio likes this.