Mixing paint

Most paints in good bottles allow you to dispence paint one drop at a time. The Marissa E'tac range has eye droppers in the lids. So does Daler Rowney FW, Schmincke Aerocolour and Lukas Illu.

That's good information AndreZA, especially since I live out in the wilds and never see an art store so I don't get to compare.
I wish I had know this six months ago. I've just started trying to learn some illustration techniques so I'm starting with the Wicked and Createx Illustration Paint and neither bottle can be controlled precisely. I do like to be precise since that's usually the only part of the process I can control precisely.

I prefer to make up larger batchs, so often you make a color, run out and struggle to make it again unless you have written down the exact quantities of each color or reducer etc...Buy extra storage containers and just put the excess away until another job requires that or a similar color, you'll end up with a good range of self made color that way and essentially its not wasted..but often I paint bigger projects so works for me..But saying that I only use primary's to mix my color need and thus buy larger quantities of those primarys which often is a much cheaper alternative to buying from large color ranges in smaller bottles..I'll often mix in the cup but wouldn't recommend it to beginners as the color can look very different in a cup and if you get your mix wrong then there is at times no room left in the cup to keep adjusting and often will see you needing to start the color mix again...Many experienced artists will match and mix all their color needs before even starting a piece, others do it on the fly and both work well pending on your color mixing experience and ability..

That's good information AndreZA, especially since I live out in the wilds and never see an art store so I don't get to compare.
I wish I had know this six months ago. I've just started trying to learn some illustration techniques so I'm starting with the Wicked and Createx Illustration Paint and neither bottle can be controlled precisely. I do like to be precise since that's usually the only part of the process I can control precisely.

Mixing in the paint cup generally isn't all that accurate anyway, dropping right from the bottle. Trying to knock down the saturation of a yellow with violet or an orange with some blue. One drop of such a strong color would obliterate the weak ones with just one drop, regardless of the type of dropper.

Surprised no one has mentioned it, but these guys are really great for mixing paint: http://www.amazon.com/Vktech-10ml-Dropper-Bottles-Plastic/dp/B00D2MPVUM/
They have transparent too:
http://www.amazon.com/Transparent-Plastic-Squeezable-Solvents-Dropper/dp/B013SJN9AC/

They also allow you to dispense it really easily, and since you get 50 bottles for so cheap, I just recycle them after using them. Just slap a quick label on it, or write on it with permanent marker, and you're good to go.

I think the 10ml is kinda big, but they have 5ml too. Really do like them though! Being able to dispense pre-mixed, pre-diluted paint a few drops at a time is really good when you're a clumsy oaf like myself! :laugh:

Never had any problems measuring drops from Wicked bottles, but those dropper bottles are a good idea. I don't need to measure now, you get a feel for it I guess. I'm to lazy to clean extra stuff so I just mix in the cup lol

Back