Moisture in compressor

A

AndyM

Any suggestions on a good compressor that doesn't allow moisture to get into the line? Any airbrush compressor I have used after a while moisture still gets through into the paint causing splatter. Have been using a bigger compressor made by Blue Hawk but they don't last long. Depending on how often I use it, the blue hawk only lasts 3-6 months.

They all will get humidity from the air so you need to get one with an in line water trap. Look for one that is designed for airbrushing as the Blue Hawk apparently is not from the little I can read online.

Like Greg says, get an inline moisture trap. It works like this - as you compress the air, it heats up, then the air cools down, releasing it's moisture, ending up in the tank!! Ensure you regularly drain the reservoir as well, get all the excess out from the bottom of the tank.

I must just be goddamn lucky. I just use an el cheapo compressor bought from local hardware store $99.00 plus 2 year warranty. Tank certainly builds up moisture particularly in humid weather. I drain it every few weeks . I don`t have a water trap and have NEVER had moisture through the airline and onto my artwork. Even when i clear coat my helmets with full size spray gun. The airline is about 6 metres long and maybe that prevents moisture travelling full length along the hose. Have thought of buying a moisture trap, but i reckon ( if it`s not broke why fix it )

I had the same issue and just bought a 3 gal
Compressor on harbor freight. Works nice and never get water. You can add two year warranty if you want.

Just buy a water trap for it and install it on the tank outlet,also you might want to get a new air hose as it's had water thru it and might be part of the prob.

Some of it depends on the climate you live in. If it's a naturally humid local, then you'll have more problems with moisture than in a naturally arid local. My experiences have been similar to Brushahhh's, but I live in southern California, and he lives in coastal Australia, so you can see the common element there. If I lived in, say, Ireland or Hawaii, I'd probably want moisture traps in every stage of the airline.

Putting a coil hose between the compressor and the moisture trap can help too. The hose will act as a condenser, making the trap's job much easier. If the trap is attached directly to the compressor (or the tank), the air will still be too warm and much of the water vapor too fine for the filter to grab. A tank can sort of act as a condenser, but it's one big solid thermal mass with a very poor surface area to volume ratio, so it's a very inefficient condenser. What makes a strong pressure vessel and what makes an effective radiator are direct opposites, unfortunately. A small tank attached to a low CFM motor will always be filled with warm air while in use, and thus will let a lot of water vapor through even if it's catching enough condensation to need regular draining.

Definataly ditch the Blue Hawks. Looking them up on line, they seem to get very mixed reviews, so I'm guessing it's not a good brand to begin with, but you shouldn't be burning through compressors like that regardless. Either they're a particularly crappy brand, or you're putting them to such heavy use that you'd be financially better off splurging on a more advanced unit with a robust warranty.

Last edited:
As said just get a moisture filter and drain the tank regularly.
As also stated if your burning through compressors, time to change brands!

Just fix the problem and dont worry about the compressor unless its doing worse things as the next one you get will do the same..its not so much the compressor creating the water..Its just sucking it in from your environment, heats it up when compressed and sends it down the line, your water trap at the compressor is only really designed to stop tank water entering the line but it will also remove some line moisture but not much if your line is say in cold temps or cooler temp than the air you will get massive condensation in the hose itself..An inline brush filter will save the cost of a new compressor that will likely do the same anyway..In Australia we have a few less issues in some parts because the environment is so darn dry..Even the air and if its coming out at 60 odd degreess our outside temp will nearly match it LOL so less condensation will occur because the air will not cool as fast.(Its the same principle as a foggy window).Heating or insulating your line can help, so do coiled hoses as mentioned due to centrifugal force not allowing the water to advance through the hose (But it eventually will :)) or if really bad you could make a home made condenser to further dry the air but a filter shld do the job..good luck.

Back