Multilayer stencil questions

John742

Double Actioner
I recently purchased a 5 layer reaper stencil from ultratechair on ebay. It came with no directions at all other then stencil layer.. just shows 1 through 5, doesn't show what colors to use on which stencil, or if 1 stencil was meant for shading and another for highlights.

Now I'm assuming that I would go through the steps 1 by 1 very lightly with white just to get maximum tracing and a general guide to what goes where, then go back to my first 2 stencils and add the black back in lightly?
Here's the reference picture of what it should look like completed phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg (49).jpg

Now here's mine after going over it with white first then going back and adding my blacks 145949184159311104226.jpg
I start to go over a lot of my white by doing this and loose detail. So should I try to figure out the order and do my blacks first? Also by going over each step in white I start to loose fine detail too like up by the skull on the staff and the decorative pieces on his staff, or was I meant to freehand all that?

Yours look good. Stencils does not give you the finish product. It's just for mapping out shapes. You still have to do all the real work.

I have to agree with @AndreZA on this one,it might have helped if it was done on a darker background but from what you have done so far is good just go steady and build up the shading slowly:thumbsup:

So I should go through all the layers in white lightly first, then come back to adding my dark areas? And should I be using a transparent black for the shading?

What paints are you using? as it may be just a case of using a reduced black for shading or a grey to start with:thumbsup:

Mainly you are correct on laying it out using white and very very light layer of it. Once you reach layer 5 in this case you no longer use the stencil except maybe to hit the super highlighted edge of say the scythe everything else as far as black goes is free hand. Than a candy color over it.

What paints are you using? as it may be just a case of using a reduced black for shading or a grey to start with:thumbsup:
Right now I'm just using testors Aztek acryclic to play around. But going to move to house of kolor for finished product.

I have tried this stencil multiple ways, starting with black on the first couple stencils, moving to grey then white on last couple. As well as doing all layers lightly white then going back and adding my black.

Seems like I get a better result starting with a black background and only adding white on the stencils that need white, skipping the first couple stencils completely.

I'm not that great freehanding yet, so I rely alot on the stencil to help me get the finer details and this is becoming a headache lol.
So what should I do, get some clear film like frisket film to lay over it and cut out stuff like the black lines for the skulls teeth on the staff? Because the stencil doesn't have some of that stuff and the lines are like razor blade thin.
Here's one I did skipping the first stencils that were meant for black. received_1152609581439119.jpeg

Dude thats awesome,please try to avoid frisket.....try the free hand stencils or make your own out of mylar or projector film:thumbsup:

Dude thats awesome,please try to avoid frisket.....try the free hand stencils or make your own out of mylar or projector film:thumbsup:
Thanks, projector film it is then. Should be able to pick it up cheap at an office supply store and I would think it would be easy to cut with an xacto knife.
I wish it was awesome o_O I mean the stencil is pretty decent but my skills lack what I need to get it looking like the reference picture in my first post.

Thanks, projector film it is then. Should be able to pick it up cheap at an office supply store and I would think it would be easy to cut with an xacto knife.
I wish it was awesome o_O I mean the stencil is pretty decent but my skills lack what I need to get it looking like the reference picture in my first post.
Yep i normally buy a pack of A4 sheets for a few pounds and lasts ages,as to it looking like the ref. pic dont beat yourself up just do what you want and enjoy it the rest comes with experience and trust me it does look awesome.The more you do the easier and better it will get,you have already moved forward by trying to find ways of doing those little details:thumbsup:keep practicing the free hand dots daggers and lines and it will all come good.

Thanks everyone, I absolutely love the level of inspiration, help and "home" feeling around here.

Just a quick question, if I decide to go the route of using createx or some other acrylic on something like this is there a good Kandy for these types of paints? Or am I pretty much limited to using urethanes?
Cause I plan on going green Kandy over it and I really want it to pop.

I think you should have a go at the areas such as the teeth freehand - theirs no better way to learn then just having a go. Check out you tube watch how a few other go about their freehand work, here is a Craig Fraser vid usually no shortage of skull in his tutorials

Thanks everyone, I absolutely love the level of inspiration, help and "home" feeling around here.

Just a quick question, if I decide to go the route of using createx or some other acrylic on something like this is there a good Kandy for these types of paints? Or am I pretty much limited to using urethanes?
Cause I plan on going green Kandy over it and I really want it to pop.

AutoAir has a water based candy that looks great when Simon Murray sprays it. Also, Harder & Steenbeck have multi-layer stencil sets with instructions. I was thinking of buying one to learn the whole multi-layer stencil thing. I think Chicago Airbrush sells them.

The Createx Candy 2O is AWESOME!! and while true, stencils are great for starting, its best to go freehand....when you feel your ready. I started with stencils...now I get so damn confused with them, I cant use them lol!! I have stencils that have never been used!! The stencils have too many "fat" lines for me.

Hello there, Omg, Where did you get this stencil? I love that skull !!! I don't want a 100% freehand free stencil.. I want the type like this, so I can trace, and freehand the rest!

Found it ! I got like 5 of them ! This is perfect. It requires some free hand. This should boost my practice. Thank you so much !

Back