My airbrush hose leaks, its because the collar isnt one piece

W

wisdomknight

I am still newish to airbrushing and I have an Iwata and used an older hose in which the collars where solid and attached to the plastic hose itself. But now I needed to purchased I new one and they are not attached like the old one I had. And it continually leaks air. Why arent they made a single solid piece any longer? Or can I buy the older type still.

I did Google and search for why this is happening with no success, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much

Hi there, can you post a photo? Couple of quick thoughts. The screw piece should be separate to the mating section on the hose. There should be a seal that goes between the mating faces of the hose and the brush. It might not be compatible. You may also need some teflon thread tape.

Cheers Mark

The pics show my two types of hoses. The tops hose is old it has a perfect seal.
The bottom hose is the new one and if you push on it it literally moves/shifts and releases air, unlike the other.
The air comes out where the collar meets the hose...its not fully connected like the old (above) one

Im wondering if I should make a video showing it, because Im at a loss as to what to do.
This is my 3rd one, two non-coiled and one coiled all new from Amazon has this type of collar that leaks air for me.

The pics show my two types of hoses. The tops hose is old it has a perfect seal.
The bottom hose is the new one and if you push on it it literally moves/shifts and releases air, unlike the other.
The air comes out where the collar meets the hose...its not fully connected like the old (above) one
Pics...? where pics...?

I would use a braided hose as I find they are much harder wearing and the ends are fixed solidIMG_2304.JPG

The hard part is that it is harder to get a good seal on plastic. The true Iwata hose is rubber inside and braided fiber outside. Not sure how you can improve the seal around the fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a similar problem many years ago. The hose should not be wigling inside the screw bit when it is attached to the airbrush or quick coupling. If the thread is not long enough to push the inside flange tightly against the inside of the screw, it will leak.

thank you all for the suggestions. I will the suggestions and if nothing improves I will try the braided hose. Thank you

The o-ring might be the prob. it might have dried out ,try replacing the o-ring and see if that helps

Well the hoses were all new, I tried three. same problem so I doubt its that. I just ordered a braided hose as it seems like using a plastic new one isnt going to work. Thank you all.

What kind of brush do you have? When fully screwed on, the o-ring on the internal part of the connector should form a seal with the lower rim of the AB stem. Basically the two-piece aspect should not matter, because the screw collar itself doesn't seal, it just pinions the o-ring part to the stem opening so that can make a seal (meaning teflon taping the threads won't solve the problem, and will probably actually make it worse). This suggests that either the threading on the brush is too short, or the stem rim has some kind of odd flare or taper or notch/scratch that prevents it from interfacing correctly with the o-ring.

I have the same style of Iwata hose, and I'd recommend it over a braided hose any day due to the low weight. Soooo much nicer, can't imagine going back to braided hose.

Back