For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

My attempt at Andre's Snake

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by Malky, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

@AndreZA Well Andre, thanks again for allowing us to take poke at this one:thumbsup: here is where I'm at at the moment, before I begin, I've always had the utmost respect for your work and your talent but I'm doing this on the same paper and almost the same size you did, the actual painted area between between my tape is precisely 7.5" x 11.5":eek: holding the reference in my hand I suddenly have even more respect than I already had, with the background the snake itself ridiculously small:eek::eek::eek: but as my old friend Magnus Magnuson used to say "Ive started so I'll finish" lollollol

So here's my first piccy;
    snake one.jpg

Sorry about the hazy picture, the light is shining in my window from behind it, I'll pay more attention next time:)

For anyone else who isn't Andre, I'll explain what's going on, when I do any project at all I will normally print three copies of my ref, one on plain copy paper for transfer, one on photo paper for reference and one on photo paper to cut out landmark points and dark areas, however I see no need to cut anything out on this one, I can see enough with just the transfer lines which I can see far clearer than the photo you see here, so I only need my reference for this one.

As you can see on my easel, I have my photo reference on the left, the already transferred image on my Schoelershammer No.4 airbrush paper on the right, I know that Andre cut his transfer image after transfer to make a mask to protect the snake area while doing his background, however I want to keep that whole for reasons I'll explain in the next paragraph, so I have retraced the snake and the tree bark/rocky part on a piece of scrap Bristol paper to protect the snake area while doing my background, that's the paper on the bottom, I did trace this using the original trace lines on my trnafer copy as Andre advised in his SBS I still have to cut that out yet but I'll do that soon as I'm done here:)

@RichardH and any one else, You can see at the top of my substrate the transfer copy is still attached to my piece, it will remain there until the painting almost completed although should I need to remove it at any time for any reason it strategic cuts around it's border which will allow me to replace it precisely where it was, the reason it will remain or be replaced there is to allow me to check for accuracy as I go, I do this by flicking the transfer image quickly on and off of my work, doing this gives an appearance animation if something is out, I then know what I need to adjust to make this animation stop then I know I'm spot on or at least close enough for it not to matter, I normally wouldn't be too worried about this with an animal, it's method I would normally use for human portraits but I'll use it here because of the complexity of the scales, I hope all of this makes sense.

While I'm keen to get on I won't be able to start painting until the weekend due to doctors appointments and other pressing chores:( but I'm looking forward to it:)
    basepaint, Dimitris, PogArt and 10 others like this.
  2. MarcosD

MarcosD Mac-Valve Maestro!

Glad to see you painting again!! The reference pictures is Andre’s paint or you found it on inet? I ask you this cause I was looking for it on inet but couldn’t find it!!

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
    jord001 and Malky like this.
  3. musicmacd

musicmacd The Createx Bandit Very Likeable!

Can’t wait dude!
  4. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month! Very Likeable!

Great stuff. Once you get going you will see it is not that bad.

I also have multiple printouts. The first that I trace and then cut up and then a new one that I also attach so that I can flip and spray to get shape accurate and trace again incase I missed a line.
  5. RichardH

RichardH Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I've got my popcorn and mountain dew ready. It finally has arrived that you are getting to paint. GREAT.
    Look forward to learning some more from you.
  6. Malky

Thank you Marcos, Andre found the reference and he posted a link to it in his Red Viper SBS thread you can find it here :)

Thanks Andre, I'm really looking forward to it, it's been well over 18 months since I painted anything, I think the last thing I painted was maybe the last paint pal in 2016 so I'm naturally just a little nervous but keen to get on with it, like you say once I actually start to paint it will probably feel less daunting but I reckon if I just take my time and get through it unscathed I'll be ready for anything, I've never usually had the patience to do small sections at a time and would normally blast in a whole painting before any manipulation takes place but I know with this one I'll have no choice, so that alone alone might just be the cure for lack of patience:thumbsup:

Thanks Paul, I can't wait either, I'm sat in my space surrounded by all my new (and some old) gear and it's a good feeling, I kind of feel proud:)
    basepaint, jord001, HellBird and 3 others like this.
  7. MarcosD

MarcosD Mac-Valve Maestro!

Thanx Malky, will give it a try when I have the opportunity!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
  8. Jimmyfingerz

Jimmyfingerz Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Oooooo Malky i’m looking forwards to this :cool:
    Have fun with it and post progress pics :D
  9. Malky

That is the plan:)
    jord001 and Jimmyfingerz like this.
  10. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Nice one Malky! I’m so pleased to see you ready to get cracking. Really looking forward the the SBS and seeing some of your work take shape. Excellent news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Micha der Wolf

Micha der Wolf Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Hi Malky! Really a project to grow up with it. Looking forward to your next steps!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G390F mit Tapatalk
  12. Malky

Thanks Micha, I don't know about growing up with, it might just leave me rocking back and forth in my chair:) it's actually a good first project since I intend to work mostly at this size, with the exception of paint pals of course;)

Thanks Si, let's hope I can do it justice:)
    basepaint, jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  13. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA Quick Draw !! (and still very happy) Staff Member Mod

That looks like a great place for creating fantastic work! Look forward to the results!
  14. J000seph

J000seph Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

If your painting is as pretty as your tape job it will be great :)
    jord001 likes this.
  15. Malky

lol I've always been proud of my tape jobs but unfortunately that's often where the pride stopso_O:)
    jord001 and J000seph like this.
  16. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Great to see you back at at the easel Malky, i will be following your progress. I speak for many of us here, This is a happy time for us seeing you back in the game.

Lee
    JackEb and doc1 like this.
  17. Malky

Thank Jord, it's a happy time for me mate, I've had most of my gear since near the end of last year and just couldnt get head into it, a mixture of renovation works going on in my house and health issues have kept my mind occupied, I have a dictor,s apointment today to discuss replacing the medicines I use now with something stronger or better, hopefully she'll get me sorted:)

While I'm out today I'll be looking for something temporary to mix colours in, I ordered some bottles but don't have them yet and don't want to wait, for this painting I need to mix about 4 colours for the background and maybe 5 or 6 for the snake itself, I don't want to mix as I go, that proved useless a few times in the past, and this has to succeed to get me in the right frame of mind for future projects:)
  18. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month! Very Likeable!

I only mixed the red and the green on the snake. The background was black for the dark bits first and then just transparent colour over it. Think it was red ocher and olive green over the black.
    basepaint, PogArt, doc1 and 1 other person like this.
  19. RichardH

RichardH Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Hope the Doc. can get you to going better. There have been a lot of advances in medicine lately. POT juice to help with pain. From what little I have read about it, it won't make you high but it does relieve pain. Been a few states here that have legalized it so far for medical reasons. Polio vaccine for cancer cure. Even @Mr.Micron has some shine that might work for pain. :eek:lol Or it might make you just not able to remember where it is. :confused:
    Get some paint to flowing this weekend. That alone will help the mind.

Richard
    doc1 and jord001 like this.
  20. Malky

Looking at my reference there seems to be a lot green and orange, the plain paper ref is a little different than photo paper ref, but the orange is more pronounced in the plain paper ref and I like that one, my plan is to mix an orange and olive green and place them first then knock them back with black for the green and umber for the orange, I'm hoping to get the background as vibrant as the paper ref and the snake as vibrant as the photo ref, at the moment I only have primaries, black, umber and white but I'm confident enough with mixing, I want mix these colours beforehand so I can spray wet on wet and hopefully get happy shifts if you get what I mean.

I've been studying the photo ref quite a bit and on that area that looks like either tree bark or Rick texture I can see what looks like another two parts of the snake, at the top left you can see two parts of the snake which are coiled and I get the impression that what I see on the bottom is a continuation of those same two parts so I aim to put those in and knock them back just as the ref, when realky studying the ref the snake appears to be hanging coiled over either a tree stump or a rock, I'll more than likely paint that part as a rock, I'm crap at tree barklol

But I think I need to get it painted quick before I spot anything else extra;)

I have cut the Blanc shield for protecting the snake while I do the background, for accuracy I placed it over the transfer ref and trimmed some bits to match it to the trace lines, well happy with that:thumbsup:

Now I just cant wait to throw some paint on:)