For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

My attempt at Andre's Snake

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by Malky, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

that is a good price for that hp B+ it is about the same as I payed for mine back in 2012 ! I loved that brush but I could not get used to the cup being in my sight so I sold both hp B+ airbrushes to my students
    jord001 and Malky like this.
  2. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

You did the right thing, I'm not a business owner myself but I would still lose sleep if I didn't own up, their prices are as honest as it could get, all of their Microns are very reasonably priced even the custom Micron seems very low to me, I've had a Micron in the past but didn't get much out of it, I think I was to afraid of breaking it because of the cost of parts, I did break it several times probably just down being so nervous of it, but I always had the best successes with the HP-B's so I'll just keep building on collecting thrm when I can, it's always sure to have a back up, nothing worse than having to stop what you're doing when your brush breaks, for most folks starting out I would always recommend a back up and a load of the most damaged spares.
    jord001, Ronald art and SiRoxx like this.
  3. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Yeah, I slept soundly that night knowing I’d down the right thing.
    But you’re right about the prices. The cost of Microns were so good that I was a bit sceptical at first. But my local Airbrush store is the U.K’s main distributor for Iwata and they confirmed that Martin is legit and orders in bulk from them to get the prices he does. That was all I needed to know LOL.
    I’m glad you’ve been able to take advantage Buddy and that you know where to go for the next HP-B :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

to me the HP SB+ and the HP B+ are the best airbrushes next to the micron I still use my hp SB+ as a back up or main airbrush for larger cover
    jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  5. Malky

It is indeed Ronald, I couldn't believe it, I thought it had be a mistake of some sort, I saw one in one of the art shops I visit in Glasgow and they were asking £240 for there's, I could understand that price if it was the one with MAC built in.
    jord001 likes this.
  6. Malky

I love them, I do like the side feeds but I prefer to stick with "B" because I can actually clear and clean the nozzle without taking it out, how I do that can't be done with the side or bottom feeds, I use little staffs made by Createx which are yellow plastic sticks with a gauze ball on the end, it goes into the paint channel through the cup but stops when it reaches the nozzle opening, I only need to do this if I have a blockage that a blow out won't move, all thats needed is to take out the needle, remove the crown and nozzle caps and then I pump cellulose thinners (MEK) through moving the staff forward and backwards several times, then I just softly pull the nozzle backwards across a paper towel and watch all crap come out, then just keep doing this until it runs clean, the whole process takes seconds, when I'm done I put it back together then run some normal cleaner through and then water and we're good to go:)
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  7. Jimmyfingerz

Jimmyfingerz Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I likey the progress a lot Malky, the background and the rocks look great.
    Sucks you are having issues with the brush the bud :(
    For some reason my phone isn’t giving updates so i kissed your progression but i’m happy to see you painting :)
  8. Malky

Thanks Jimmy, the brush will be fully operational agsin tomorrow.

I'm happy with the background but not the rocks, the paper is too old and has got damp so it won't erase at all without damage, so I'm calling a halt to this one and starting fresh on clayboard when I can pick some up, have to wait for pist tomorrow Thursday I'll go to Glasgow and get some, it will onky take an hour or two to get to the stage I was at then I can get on with the fun part, it likely be Friday or saturday when I get back on it:)
    jord001 and Jimmyfingerz like this.
  9. Jimmyfingerz

I’ll pop in daily to watch you progress.
    Shame the paper was no good :(
    I have some a4 size terraslate i can send up to Scotland if you would like??
    It was slightly smaller than uk a4 and not really my level for now so I just shipped in some A3 thats more my level at the mo.
    Happy to send you up 20 sheets through the post if you are interested?
    jord001 likes this.
  10. Malky

I do fancy trying out the teraslate, where did you get the A3 from and at what cost?
  11. Jimmyfingerz

Shipped it in from the the states.
    Cost me a pretty packet, just under £200 for 50 sheets.
    A few came in damaged too thanks to dhl but not too bad.
    Its good paper and from what i can tell with the little practice i’ve had on it I prefer it to Drus paper.
    Seems to hold the paint with a death grip, have to really give it some pressure when you erase.
    Honestly the a4 i have, isn’t a problem at all to send you up some to try?
    Let me know and i’ll steal some packaging form work lol
    With the a3 for some reason you can’t get it in the uk, amazon only seems to stock the A4.
    Its just slightly smaller than the uk A4 maybe buy 5+mm
  12. Malky

HA HA!!! Look what just came in...

20180711_140423.jpg

Arrived just before 2:00 PM, I haven't installed it yet, only intend to install the nozzle, the (second) needle that's in it now really is fine, no scratches, hooks, bends or any other visible damage so the new needle is a spare, at the end of the month I'm going to order another couple of spare needles and late another nozzle just to keep a good supply of spares.

I sat in all day waiting for these to arrive so I've done all my house work to pass the time, I would normally do all that on Friday but thought if I get it out of the way now, I have from now till next week free to do what I like, I can install the nozzle later today after I do some shopping which I also want to have out of the way, I might visit Glasgow tomorrow to pick up some clay board and other little things then I will have a good week to just have fun:):):)

@Jimmyfingerz I wouldn't mind trying a little of the teraslate if you don't mind, I'll PM you my address :) but don't go mental with it, just a little to try out is fine, if I like it I've no problem buying some.
    SiRoxx, jord001 and Jimmyfingerz like this.
  13. Jimmyfingerz

Absolutely fine Malky :)
    jord001 likes this.
  14. Malky

Thanks Jimmy, if I ever fall off the wagon and become an alcoholic again I'll come and buy you drink:)
  15. Jimmyfingerz

Thats a deal ;)
  16. RichardH

RichardH Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I hope that is the cure for the ailing brush. Be sure to post how it comes out. I ought to go back to Ebay and try to give the one that sold it to me a good cussing :eek::eek:lollollol
  17. Malky

lol I wouldn't give the bastard the pleasure of knowing what he's done, I reckon just everyone on here has had a bad experience on Ebay and in several other situations, it's part of life, we can only put it down to experience and make the best of it, I'm just glad I'm dealing with it and not some poor newbie that might not have a clue how to rectify the situation, we try hard here to save newbies unnecessary wasted by money by sharing sharing the things we did that cost us money in the hope they won't do what we did, things like buying cheap brushes, wrong paints, fake parts among other calamities, so I would hate to see some very trusting newbie lose a wedge with something like this.

Aside from the nozzle and needle in a brush there isn't much else that is going to affect performance other than the nozzle cap which I've also checked and it has no deformities or damage, so I'm confident we'll have a finely tuned tool by tomorrow, don't worry, I'll post up the results of any tests I do, but you can expect good news,:thumbsup:

If you go back to that little spray out scrap paper I posted, if I can get the same lines I pointed out there continuously for long periods, not only will I be able to freehand the snake, but I will also be able to add the detail in the scales, in which case I might just continue on with the one I've already done here instead of starting a new one, I'll find a solution to fixing the parts of the rock I don't like.
    jord001 likes this.
  18. RichardH

Sounds like a good plan. No sense wasting what you have already done. Good time to use it to fine tune the sucker up.
    jord001 likes this.
  19. RichardH

I'm kinda in a stall right now. I have a Doctor that is leaving the practice he is at now and moving back to his home town. His dad is old and his health is starting to fail, so he wants to move back to home town and take care of him the best he can. I have been searching for a good picture to paint for him before he leaves. When I finish it, I am going to just drop it off at his office and wish him the best. He has been my Doc for 22 years and we have been through a lot with my issues.
    I thought about just painting a cartoon of a Doctor and when he has his other practice set up, he can give it to a young kid to gain some trust to him/her.
    HellBird, jord001 and Malky like this.
  20. beginner-James

beginner-James Gravity Guru

That is so sweet
    jord001 likes this.