my first reptile eye!

Michal

Gravity Guru
Hi every!
So i found this really cool looking reference on google images and i said to myself i will give it a try.
Final result is ok for me since i am only new to AB, i had really good time with this one (i dont even know why??), and i learned a lot about air pressure and my paints (how to thin them lol )while painting this eye.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-29-14-05-22.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-29-14-05-22.png
    796.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20150610_194526.jpg
    20150610_194526.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 75
You had a really good time with it because it went where you wanted it to, it's pretty hot go considering you've just started, I shows you are studying your ref and finding all the important landmarks, your shapes overall are unbelievably precise so you definitely have an eye for it (no pun intended)

Keep this reference and visit it again in a few months, I'd love to see that if it's this good now, well done:thumbsup:

Excellent job, Michal!
One minor thing, though, I don't think reptiles have eyelashes.
Or at least, I've never seen one.
Could be an alien, like in the series 'V'?
Either way, it's good work, you learned some valuable things, and had FUN!
What could be better than that?
:thumbsup::thumbsup::):laugh:

Looking good Michal, looks like you are starting to get to grips with it all, and kudos on going for colour too, something many people do not even try at your stage! And from my personal point of view, going for something with eyelashes is a big deal, they were (and still are if I let myself think too much) a bit of a nemesis for me.

When you get your paint reduction right, everything becomes much easier and you get better control. Looks like you were finding a good flow, and when it's going right it really is fun :)

If you wouldn't mind a bit of constructive criticism, it seems like you have outlined the eye (though it looks like a nice clean line!) try to avoid doing that if possible, as it can give a cartoony/unnatural look to things - unless that's the look you're going for of course :D

You had a really good time with it because it went where you wanted it to, it's pretty hot go considering you've just started, I shows you are studying your ref and finding all the important landmarks, your shapes overall are unbelievably precise so you definitely have an eye for it (no pun intended)

Keep this reference and visit it again in a few months, I'd love to see that if it's this good now, well done:thumbsup:
Thanks a lot Madbrush, i will definitely come back to this image in future, I just ordered David Mortons dvds so hopefully that will boost my skills a little, I also want to save some money and take some classes in UK

Excellent job, Michal!
Hi Splasha, ye u right, i thought that myself about eyelashes but i was just trying to copy reference =) maybe its female dragon or something =)

Looking good Michal, looks like you are starting to get to grips with it all, and kudos on going for colour too, something many people do not even try at your stage! And from my personal point of view, going for something with eyelashes is a big deal, they were (and still are if I let myself think too much) a bit of a nemesis for me.

When you get your paint reduction right, everything becomes much easier and you get better control. Looks like you were finding a good flow, and when it's going right it really is fun :)

If you wouldn't mind a bit of constructive criticism, it seems like you have outlined the eye (though it looks like a nice clean line!) try to avoid doing that if possible, as it can give a cartoony/unnatural look to things - unless that's the look you're going for of course :D
Thanks for your comment Squishy =) yes i agree there with you about outline, i need to read more about painting theory etc i made many mistakes here, i almost quit this painting in the middle, for example i sprayed yellow over green in the eyeball and result was that eyeball was dark green so i had to cover it with white again and then spray yellow again omg =) but as i said i learned a lot about thinning and air pressure so that time wasnt wasted =) have a good day every1!!

Excellent job, Michal!

The image on the left is the reference, I did a little search and it turns out to be a human lady who has been made up and wearing a contact lens hence the lashes;)

Thanks for your comment Squishy =) yes i agree there with you about outline, i need to read more about painting theory etc i made many mistakes here, i almost quit this painting in the middle, for example i sprayed yellow over green in the eyeball and result was that eyeball was dark green so i had to cover it with white again and then spray yellow again omg =) but as i said i learned a lot about thinning and air pressure so that time wasnt wasted =) have a good day every1!!
You've got the right attitude Michal, every time you paint don't think of any mistakes as messing up, what you are doing is learning. Even if something goes really wrong (as it does for me a lot LOL) it can be frustrating, but you will have learnt what not to do, either way, it's all good. Just keep putting paint through the airbrush, and you can't fail to keep moving forward.

Oh and if you get to a point where you think you have gone beyond saving, don't throw the picture out. Use it as practise for doing repairs. Quite often )althoug admittedly not always)you can erase, or go cover up with your base colour (i.e paint the area that went wrong white if you are on a white background) and repaint it, and try to blend it back in with the rest. It's a really important thing to learn I think, something I'm still not great at doing, but has saved my bacon a time or two.

The image on the left is the reference, I did a little search and it turns out to be a human lady who has been made up and wearing a contact lens hence the lashes;)
Thanks, MB.
I was sorta thinking along the lines of "alien" make-up sfx.

Totally agree with squishy, I have many a painting where I was about to give up but ended up learning , or ended up with something to practice repairs or colour matching.

Good start Michal , you seem to have to right attitude , very brave to have a go at colour early on , I was too scared for quite a while to even think about colour :)

Totally agree with squishy, I have many a painting where I was about to give up but ended up learning , or ended up with something to practice repairs or colour matching.

Good start Michal , you seem to have to right attitude , very brave to have a go at colour early on , I was too scared for quite a while to even think about colour :)
Thank You m8!

Back