Nearly destroyed

Airbrush Dreams

Air-Valve Autobot!
I nearly destroyed my micron nozzle trying to run Wicked that was probably 15 years old. I reduced the crap out of it with high performance reducer. Sprayed ok but all of the sudden it began to skip, so I stopped to clean it out because the paint was too transparent. As I found out the paint was hardening inside the nozzle and the head. What a mess. I find the same thing starting to happen with my 2 year old illustration paint. That is also why I tossed all my Wicked Detail Dru Blair set. Which was sad because I hadn't used that much. I'll be messing with my Etac Ps tomorrow to see if the are salvageable. I still need to look into a new paint for erasing like the Golden HF or maybe some airbrush inks. I was trying to find out what inks Jurek uses by I have had no response yet.

I used to have the same problem with fluorescent color. I called Createx and they explained that fluorescent paint pigment are at the end of their life span so their spectrum range changes which make them brighter however they don't last as long in the bottle and begin to clog very fast. They sent me new stuff and it didn't clog so fast. So that is all I can figure with these paints. They are just too old. When they were new they flowed great but as time goes on they clump and clot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with created wicked in a bigger H&S evolution but when I used wicked in a micron I destroyed 2 nozzles.
2 years later I started to understand you need to give it some love and a loooooot of reducer (no water) to make it flow. The pigments in wicked are heavy and are carried by solvents.
Etac also got some rules, like don't mix EFX and PS it wil turn in bubblegum.
Use mineral water or reducer to reduce, some tap water contains a to high concentration of minerals so it wil turn hard.
Keep your paint dark, cool and dry to expand the lifetime of it

Done all of that. Never tried the mineral water. I usually use filtered water from my refrigerator. I just let it come to room temp.

Use mineral water or reducer to reduce, some tap water contains a to high concentration of minerals so it wil turn hard
Just checking here, but did you mean distilled Water? If a high concentration of minerals is what causes the paint to harden, I would think mineral water would do the same. I could have misunderstood, but figured I would ask. :)

I use filtered water from my refrigerator like PS suggests. Today I used AG 2050 modifier and the PS sprayed flawless through my Eclipse CS with the .35mm nozzle. I love the E CS.

Yep I just need to replace something for doing illustration with the ability to erase and scratch.

I nearly destroyed my micron nozzle trying to run Wicked that was probably 15 years old. I reduced the crap out of it with high performance reducer. Sprayed ok but all of the sudden it began to skip, so I stopped to clean it out because the paint was too transparent. As I found out the paint was hardening inside the nozzle and the head. What a mess. I find the same thing starting to happen with my 2 year old illustration paint. That is also why I tossed all my Wicked Detail Dru Blair set. Which was sad because I hadn't used that much. I'll be messing with my Etac Ps tomorrow to see if the are salvageable. I still need to look into a new paint for erasing like the Golden HF or maybe some airbrush inks. I was trying to find out what inks Jurek uses by I have had no response yet.

15 year old Wicked??? I thought Wicked came out like 5 yrs ago. I have Golden Fluids that still shoot like new at 8 yrs old....reduced with a touch of water and Golden airbrush medium.

Now you got me thinking. We moved into my house in 2003 and I was using Madea Textile paint back then and started using Wicked maybe around 2004 or 2005, so it has been around at least 12 years. So 15 years may be a stretch. I think some of my problems were I had 16 ounce bottles that never were used up. What I should have done was buy 4 ounce bottles and just ordered more frequently. When they were new they worked like a charm through a .5mm needle. My smaller airbrushes I used ComArt colors, but I never thought of erasing until I started following Dru Blair. In the long run I think you were right on the age of the paint. It's more like 12 to 13 years.

That's my go to brush too
I don't know why I want to struggle so hard to push paint through a Micron so badly. I mean with the technique of scratching and erasing there is not much need for hair lines and if you need to pull something that tight why not just use a hair line brush. Like Jurek said there are other tools out there to improve your art; it doesn't mean you need to use just the airbrush. Think about it. Olivia uses colors pencils in her illustration work along with airbrush. Just thinking out loud and no offense intended to those that want to be true to just the airbrush. If that's your heart than go for it.

I. Still have a hard time freehanding in eyelashes and fine hair lines so I do use a colored pencil now and then;)

I don't know why I want to struggle so hard to push paint through a Micron so badly. I mean with the technique of scratching and erasing there is not much need for hair lines and if you need to pull something that tight why not just use a hair line brush. Like Jurek said there are other tools out there to improve your art; it doesn't mean you need to use just the airbrush. Think about it. Olivia uses colors pencils in her illustration work along with airbrush. Just thinking out loud and no offense intended to those that want to be true to just the airbrush. If that's your heart than go for it.

I attended a Pamela Shanteau workshop that she did by me here in Michigan years back and it opened my eyes to a lot of fine art/illustration techniques such as erasing and mixed mediums. She used Ampersand Clayboard for that class, one black and one white board for the 2 works we did. I say use what your heart desires as it is your work. Years ago I used to moderate on a now defunct large forum and there were many arguments pertaining to "all air/no-hair" paint jobs. You know the silly battles we airbrushers sometimes dredge up, right up there with the best airbrush, waterbased vs urethanes...ect. I "strive" for all airbrush but it depends on the job and what I am trying to achieve. I also have been to a Dru Blair class back around 2005 and he uses all kinds out "outside the box" techniques for his stuff. Bruce Lee used the principle of using what is useful and disregard what is not for his martial arts. It was from the perspective of martial arts styles fitting the students but the same can apply to airbrush styles. It's your work. Look at and try it all, but do what works best and forget the rest that doesn't.

Wisdom is born in the mind of God and few ever ask for it. Very well said. I watched Mark rush one day pull out a hypodermic syringe sucks up paint and squirts it on the shirt. All I could say I do that by accident when the hole of my lid is plugged and the pull the bottle from the bottom of the airbrush. He laughed at me and he said I got the idea that exact way.

Back