Nebula help

K

kylegabbert

Hello, I am wanting to paint a nebula theme, and am wondering what the stencils are that I see people using in order to make the smokey looking clouds. I have seen a few tutorials, but can't figure out the stencil. Is there a way I can make one with my plotter? Thanks in advance!

If you want smokey clouds I wouldn't use any masks at all and do it freehand as the mask will takeaway from the "smokey look". If you were to go for something like a sigarette smoke twirl any freehand stencil will do (though this can also be done freehand)

1. Fog in some general "nebula" shapes with white,and speckle some stars while you are at it :p. We want stars in this layer as they will get a bitof color generating more depth in the stars when we have white stars in front of them later on.

2. Color the nebula's with some different transparants or candies to your liking

3. Repeat step 1 and 2 but now in a somewhat different direction so you get some depth in the parts where the nebula's overlap. After adding the colorss speckle in some more bright white stars

ps 1 is a different part of the object than pic 2 and 3 but it should get the idea across :)
airbrush nebula.jpg

Yeah stencils not needed for this. Just keep it light, keep it moving, vary the distance from the surface as you go. Trans paint over the top, some speckles and - Boom. Try on a practice sheet first, its surprisingly easy.

I use quilt padding, or pillow stuffing pulled apart...leaving the fibers loose. Works awesome for clouds and such. BUT...try a sample first. The ones I use have so much paint on them, they are stucm for life lol. But I still get awesome shapes outa them!

Back