Need advice re buying used Silentair compressor

LovesArt

Double Actioner
Hello!
I have the unexpected opportunity of buying a used Silentaire Super Silent 50-T for less than half the cost of a new one. ( This was the compressor I had originally wanted. ) It has been sitting in the seller's garage for a couple of years. He bought it at an estate sale so doesn't know it's history, only that it turns on and seems ok.

I'm inspecting it tomorrow. How should I go about it? (What's the equivalent of 'looking under the hood' :)?)

How can I tell its age, and whether it was well-maintained prior to its approximately 2 years of non-use? Or whether it needs an oil change? Or if it's going to break as soon as I take it home! :eek: Even at half price it's still a lot of money.

Thanks!

Assume the oil needs changing. That's not expensive. Check the drain valve under the air reservoir, see if there is any water in the air reservoir (ideally there shouldn't be) and if there is what colour is it. Might be slightly rusty. Then check condition of cords, etc. Probably quite dusty so you will need to clean the air filter as well. Sounds like a good deal.

Hi! Thanks for your reply, I'll check those things.
If there is water and it appears rusty how concerned should I be?
Is there a particular thing I should look for that would be good reason to pass on it? Thank you

Hi! Thanks for your reply, I'll check those things.
If there is water and it appears rusty how concerned should I be?
Is there a particular thing I should look for that would be good reason to pass on it? Thank you

I would be more concerned if the water looks like mayonnaise, this would be an indication of oil getting into the tank and a message that you should leave it alone, if there is no evidence of this then just let the tank fill up up a few times and let the air out via the drain plug before attaching any tools to it, then it should be fine, rust is only a problem if it's loose and gets into you brush but decent protection in the former of water separators at compressor and brush should deal with that, frequent use by yourself will care for the rest.

I would be inclined to drain the oil anyway, as you don't want it sloshing around and getting into your air tank in transit. If it seems thin, then replace it. I would also want it to fill completely and make sure it cuts off safely when the tank is full/reaches pressure. Have a listen to the motor, does it seem to be running smoothly etc.

Thank you!

After reading your suggestions I went to Silentaire's website and printed the owner's manual to familiarize myself with the compressor--make sure I know how to operate it and where everything is.

I'm quite skittish about the unknown factor but I can't resist checking it out!

Thank you!

After reading your suggestions I went to Silentaire's website and printed the owner's manual to familiarize myself with the compressor--make sure I know how to operate it and where everything is.

I'm quite skittish about the unknown factor but I can't resist checking it out!
There will be moisture that collects in the tank and yes there will be some oil. This is normal. Some rust in the water may also be there. These are all common with silent compressors. Nature of the beast. The biggest thing is to make sure the particle separator and the moisture trap still work. This reduces the amount of oil that will get in the tank and the moisture trap help take any that get by out of the air to your airbrush. certain Silair compressor have the tank below the motor which has a tendency to cause more moisture in the tank and oil because of gravity that is why Iwata place the tank on the Great White above. So that the oil would run back into the compressor before it gets into the tank. They are good compressors and last a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

There will be moisture that collects in the tank and yes there will be some oil. This is normal. Some rust in the water may also be there. These are all common with silent compressors. Nature of the beast. The biggest thing is to make sure the particle separator and the moisture trap still work. This reduces the amount of oil that will get in the tank and the moisture trap help take any that get by out of the air to your airbrush. certain Silair compressor have the tank below the motor which has a tendency to cause more moisture in the tank and oil because of gravity that is why Iwata place the tank on the Great White above. So that the oil would run back into the compressor before it gets into the tank. They are good compressors and last a long time.

P.S. SilentAir company make SilAir, Iwata and Black Panther and I believe Badger silent compressors. So as for one over the other it doesn't really matter.

Well...I had such high hopes! Encouraged by the picture on the advertisement. Which turned out to be a 'stock' photo. :sus:

The Silentaire ran and sounded ok--amazing how quiet it was--and nothing was obviously broken. (Except for the tape holding the capacitor in place--the screws attaching it to the main body were stripped/ripped off. )

BUT it looked to be about....200 years old! Rust everywhere. :eek:

So even though it was functioning I felt it wasn't worth the asking price. I feared the insides might be in similar shape. And the seller wouldn't take less. So there you go.

Thank y'all for your advice. And for responding so quickly. (Impressive!) I learned a lot. I know it will serve me in the future should another opportunity arise.

Thats a shame but you've got to go with your gut........ there may be another one around the corner, and at least you'll know what to look for now :)

Back