Need info on paints for kite board custom painting

redcore

Gravity Guru
I do kiteboarding and decided to custom paint my board.
I have to go with acrylics because i just cant use urethane stuff.

The thing is that the board "works" when used. It bends sometimes less sometimes more (jumps, rough conditions etc) so I was wondering what acrylic paints would be good in this case. Dont wanna end up with cracked artwork after i use the board.

What primer (base coat) would you guys recommend?
Should I use some kind of additive (if it exist) which would make the paint (artwork) "stretchable"/flexible so it wont crack?

Regarding the top coat I would probably talk to someone in a local autobody shop.

Basically any information from you guys will help me a lot.

Thank you!
Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would look into an acrylic flex agent if the board flexs that much.

Hey @redcore.

I expect a product like the Createx Wicked will be suitable, same as any custom vehicle work. A wake board isn't any different than a skateboard deck, a surfboard or a snowboard. This will need a top coat to protect it, a urethane would be normal. You'll need to look into someone doing that as urethanes are toxic as.

In terms of primer, it depends on what you are painting on. Are you putting an image on an existing finish or are you refinishing from the start? The manufacturer can certainly give you guidance on what is needed for each substrate you paint on. The manufacturer can also guide you along any additives for additional flexibility.

Cheers Mark

there are options out there, @markjthomson would probably be the best person to pipe in here, I know he has kayaks.

LOL, that was just scary.... we both posted at the same time Mark

Hey @redcore.

I expect a product like the Createx Wicked will be suitable, same as any custom vehicle work. A wake board isn't any different than a skateboard deck, a surfboard or a snowboard. This will need a top coat to protect it, a urethane would be normal. You'll need to look into someone doing that as urethanes are toxic as.

In terms of primer, it depends on what you are painting on. Are you putting an image on an existing finish or are you refinishing from the start? The manufacturer can certainly give you guidance on what is needed for each substrate you paint on. The manufacturer can also guide you along any additives for additional flexibility.

Cheers Mark
Hmm. The finish on that board is i think some hard epoxy transparent stuff. Dont really wanna stripped it off so i was thinking to sand it just a little bit (smooth finish) and then prime it. No one idea if acrylic primer would stick to it or if i should go with some synthetic stuff.

Regarding the top coat - yeah i have to go to some bodyshop. I cant spray urethans.

Hmm. The finish on that board is i think some hard epoxy transparent stuff. Dont really wanna stripped it off so i was thinking to sand it just a little bit (smooth finish) and then prime it. No one idea if acrylic primer would stick to it or if i should go with some synthetic stuff.

Regarding the top coat - yeah i have to go to some bodyshop. I cant spray urethans.

OK, epoxy is good. Probably a wet sand with 800 wet and dry in the area you want to do the design will be good. Check with the manufacturer if any primer is needed, maybe an adhesion promoter. Acrylic primer should be fine IMHO. Before you sand it, give it a good degrease in case there is any residual polish or wax on the surface.

Back