Need some feed back please.

M

Mad-Hadder

I just recently decided to start airbrushing. I already know how to paint cars and other things with a regular spray gun, but airbrushing is very different from that. I am so used to letting the trigger all the way back out to cut the air when finishing a stroke and squeezing it all the way in when beginning a new stroke. I am aware that you don't have to do that but it was just how i was taught. Leaving the air on is not a new concept to me, i just never did it but now when i use my airbrush i catch myself doing the same thing every now and then but I am getting the hang of it fairly quickly i think. I have attached 3 photos 2 of which are from my second practice session. The other is of my air compressor. I am using a Satagraph 4 with createx wicked jet black on glass. I am using glass, well mainly because i am to cheap to continue to buy paper towels or paper or even a compressor. The paint is expensive enough. Any way please give some feed back on the photos, good, bad, tip, tricks what ever you think of. thanks.

Attachments

• 20140928_194119.jpg
    20140928_194119.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 20140928_192027.jpg
    20140928_192027.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20140928_204558.jpg
    20140928_204558.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 81
Welcome to the forum,To help you better you should post an into to yourself and let us know what airbrush,psi your spraying and what you want to learn?Auto,Illastration ,T shirts ect.. but let's see what the people here have to say? I myself don't spray car's but i might be able to help,First off looking at what you posted as a new airbrusher It's not bad On your dagger strokes and the line's just looks like you need to speed up a little to get the line straight.You can download some pratice sheet from here in the Airbrush Tutor section above and also watch some of the free vid's to see if those will help?But more then anything just practice what your doing ! hope this helps you out,I'm sure others will also post some help as there are some very great airbrushing artist on here and there all willing to help!

well i am using a Satagraph 4 airbrush with wicked colors at about 20 psi. I am waiting for my iwata hp-cs to come in. hopefully by thursday it will be here. I am open to learning anything, if it can be painted or painted on i would like to know how to do it. I don't think i will ever stop learning, im sure some one sooner or later will ask can you paint this for me on this, and i would like to be able to say yes i can. I can tell you that painting on the glass has taught me a few things already, and it is far more difficult than on paper. thanks for your feed back.

Are you reducing the paint at all or shooting straight out of the bottle? The ball looks like straight out of the bottle to me?not sure most of the people on here reduce there paint starting at about 3 to 1(3 parts reducer to 1 part paint) and add layers to get the darkness thay want leaving the highlights void of paint or very little paint in them.As I said watch the how to's and look at the step by step too as that will show you how thay got the effect's on there paintings

I am reducing it. too expensive not to lol. I put maybe 3 to 4 drops of paint to fill the bottom of the cup then about half way up the cup with reducer. it was fine on a paper towel but a little runny on the glass. i turned my psi down until i added a few more drops of paint. i think a 1 to 4 ratio would be good. The ball was layered.

The Daggers look fine, apart from needing a little more speed to tidy up the edges.
The ball shows you have an understanding of both perspective and light values; a good thing to have when painting.
I've had to learn this the hard way [ I have non-existent 3-d vision, birth defect] but I, like you, am learning heaps.
Like what you've done so far, but as was mentioned earlier, to help out we would like to know what you wish to learn to paint with your airbrush, and on what.
Splasha

Well, i would like to be able to paint on anything, t-shirts, hats, motorcycles, cars, canvas, walls. I don't want to be limited on what i can paint on. As for what i want to paint, there are so many things. While i would not be against painting things that are happy sunshine and rainbows for other people, I think my preferences would take a darker turn with things like fire, lighting, reapers, skulls, dragons, even some anime. Illustrations would be something cool to do as well. thanks for the feed back.

Welcome along, no real tips besides don't stress to much on daggers, practice them by all means but pay as much attention to the dot and line as you can and explore there variations. The good thing about the airbrush is its versatility and if you can catch it, your allowed to airbrush it..here kitty, kitty, kitty..time to be pink LOL..Hope you enjoy your AB adventure :)

I am reducing it. too expensive not to lol. I put maybe 3 to 4 drops of paint to fill the bottom of the cup then about half way up the cup with reducer. it was fine on a paper towel but a little runny on the glass. i turned my psi down until i added a few more drops of paint. i think a 1 to 4 ratio would be good. The ball was layered.
As you have just learned, different substrates act differently. Paper or fabric absorbs the paint so it can be well reduced and high pressure, easiest to control on but hard on learning because you think you got it down then go try and paint on metal or glass which is extremely different. The paint bounces off the surface then, so if it's too reduced, lower psi.

Back