Need some help with reduction

Well I'm pretty risky but I'd never put acetone in my brush. First you do not want to be atomizing the stuff. I personally use ammonia free Windex occasionally(DONT wanna breathe that either but won't become a flame thrower). Airbrush restore is good I'm told, but more often I just shoot water between colors and break it down and clean with dental picks and water. As needed...I should do it at end of every session

If I want to REALLY clean my airbrushes (which I probably don't do as often as I should), I use denatured alcohol. NOT as a spray, as a soak.

I'll usually use Createx Restorer first (again, you don't want to spray that stuff, either), and the denatured alcohol if there's stuff the restorer isn't getting.

For most cleanings, I just use Dawn dish soap and water. Reducer works, too.

Back on the tip dry thing (I know, debating milk is so much more fun, but bear with me.)

Basically, every paint ever made by any company has, at one point, advertised "zero tip dry!!!!", and they've been full of it. lol.
When you're using an acrylic paint, which dries faster with air movement, through a device that directs compressed air, you are going to have tip dry. Some paints are better than others in that regard, but it's just a fact of life with airbrushing.

The good news is that you will eventually get so used to it, it, too, becomes second nature to clear your airbrush and pick the tip. Eventually, you just know when it's building up on instinct (which I still swear I can hear the sound change when tip dry is building up).

Polishing the needle definitely helps cut down on tip dry, I've found. A search on here will probably give far more information on polishing needles than you'd ever need. It also helps with the airbrush performance, so, IMO, it's worth the time.

Additives like E'Tac condition-air or glycerin can help tip-dry, but they also slow the dry and cure time of the paint. If you use too much, you can wait a very, very long time for it to cure (yes, I know from experience. a few times.). But, used in small amounts, they can save a lot of headaches.

Also, the wide range of reduction amounts you've seen recommended show that there simply isn't a "right" answer, other than what works best for you (which can change over time, too). It comes down to trying it out, and playing around with it. See how thick you can have it and still spray well. See how thin you can get it and still control it. Basically, just experiment with it, and find how it works best for you.

windolene or windex, acetone or amonia free..... nothing fancy,

wipe cup out with paper towel, water,empty, wipe, water..... back flush with water , empty and wipe..... windex windex windex, back flush with windex.... rinse with water

windolene or windex, acetone or amonia free..... nothing fancy,

wipe cup out with paper towel, water,empty, wipe, water..... back flush with water , empty and wipe..... windex windex windex, back flush with windex.... rinse with water

Are those instructions for the airbrush, or the whiskey glass?

i sometimes thin my paint until "I" have the consistancy of jack daniels...... what i mean is, i roll up a smoke, pour a glass of jd and i drink and i smoke until i dont really care if there is paint coming out of my brush or not..... once i have reached this hightened state of nirvana, i set about it, blowing spiders and spatters all over my canvas..... do i care though.....??? not one bit..... coz i got my buzz on!

not at all helpfull with the paint reduction thing.....but maybe a bit of food for thought for when things arnt working
Hahahahaha, that's how you mod.lol

Any other suggestions?

Warm soapy water m8 if only using waterbased paints, but I don't use wicked so their own products or others suggested may help more..I've only ever used dishwashing liquid and water thats been off the boil for a few minutes..It doesn't damage anything, nice and safe to put ya hands in and being warm to hot it will disolve and dislodge most paint and for that that's a bit more stubborn like in the nozzle I use a bottle brush cleaner, seperate of a couple of the plastic bits and poke em into the holes..Almost sounds rude LOL..GL

I generally just wipe, backflush with water, flush through with water, and then a little bit of reducer. I soak in the createx restorer every once in a while too, for anything more stubborn. I have used denatured alcohol too. But I think when you get your mixtures sorted you'll find blockages etc less of an issue.

Well I'm pretty risky but I'd never put acetone in my brush. First you do not want to be atomizing the stuff. I personally use ammonia free Windex occasionally(DONT wanna breathe that either but won't become a flame thrower). Airbrush restore is good I'm told, but more often I just shoot water between colors and break it down and clean with dental picks and water. As needed...I should do it at end of every session
Thanks!

Back on the tip dry thing (I know, debating milk is so much more fun, but bear with me.)

Basically, every paint ever made by any company has, at one point, advertised "zero tip dry!!!!", and they've been full of it. lol.
When you're using an acrylic paint, which dries faster with air movement, through a device that directs compressed air, you are going to have tip dry. Some paints are better than others in that regard, but it's just a fact of life with airbrushing.

The good news is that you will eventually get so used to it, it, too, becomes second nature to clear your airbrush and pick the tip. Eventually, you just know when it's building up on instinct (which I still swear I can hear the sound change when tip dry is building up).

Polishing the needle definitely helps cut down on tip dry, I've found. A search on here will probably give far more information on polishing needles than you'd ever need. It also helps with the airbrush performance, so, IMO, it's worth the time.

Additives like E'Tac condition-air or glycerin can help tip-dry, but they also slow the dry and cure time of the paint. If you use too much, you can wait a very, very long time for it to cure (yes, I know from experience. a few times.). But, used in small amounts, they can save a lot of headaches.

Also, the wide range of reduction amounts you've seen recommended show that there simply isn't a "right" answer, other than what works best for you (which can change over time, too). It comes down to trying it out, and playing around with it. See how thick you can have it and still spray well. See how thin you can get it and still control it. Basically, just experiment with it, and find how it works best for you.

I've been using this stuff called "Superlub". Are you familiar with this? Is it glycerin based? Would you recommend something else? Thanks for taking the time to pass on your advice. It's greatly appreciated!

Is it the Iwata-Medea super-lube? http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=LUBE

If so, I probably wouldn't mix that into the paint. It's meant to be used as a lube for the airbrushes packing and moving parts. If that's not it, then, nope, not familiar. lol.

The E'Tac condition-air is the only "paint improver" I've tried, other then just straight glycerin, so I can't really say which ones work, and which don't. For me, though, Condition-air works better than glycerin, and enough for me to be fine with the price difference.

I use the stuff for tons of stuff besides just mixing with the paint, too. I use it as my airbrush lube for the needle bearing. If I want to stop for the night, but want the same colors in the same airbrushes, and don't want to clean them all, I'll add a few drops of Condition-air and a few of water, mix, then cover the paint cup. The next day, just get the paints remixed, and you're set (two warnings on this- #1 it is one sure-fire way to make sure you have to do a total tear down to get all the crap out. Well, eventually. #2- if you let any Wicked paints dry in your brush, just grab your tiny brushes and denatured alcohol, and get comfortable. It's gonna be a little while.)
If I cleaned an airbrush, but want to be sure, I'll put some condition-air in the cup, work the trigger a few times until I see the condition-air coming out the nozzle, then cap it. Most times, any bits of paint that were sticking in there are floating at the top by morning. Any that are still sticking at least aren't drying.

Is it the Iwata-Medea super-lube? http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=LUBE

If so, I probably wouldn't mix that into the paint. It's meant to be used as a lube for the airbrushes packing and moving parts. If that's not it, then, nope, not familiar. lol.

The E'Tac condition-air is the only "paint improver" I've tried, other then just straight glycerin, so I can't really say which ones work, and which don't. For me, though, Condition-air works better than glycerin, and enough for me to be fine with the price difference.

I use the stuff for tons of stuff besides just mixing with the paint, too. I use it as my airbrush lube for the needle bearing. If I want to stop for the night, but want the same colors in the same airbrushes, and don't want to clean them all, I'll add a few drops of Condition-air and a few of water, mix, then cover the paint cup. The next day, just get the paints remixed, and you're set (two warnings on this- #1 it is one sure-fire way to make sure you have to do a total tear down to get all the crap out. Well, eventually. #2- if you let any Wicked paints dry in your brush, just grab your tiny brushes and denatured alcohol, and get comfortable. It's gonna be a little while.)
If I cleaned an airbrush, but want to be sure, I'll put some condition-air in the cup, work the trigger a few times until I see the condition-air coming out the nozzle, then cap it. Most times, any bits of paint that were sticking in there are floating at the top by morning. Any that are still sticking at least aren't drying.
That's good stuff. I'll check out the condition-air! Thanks. By the way, was practicing tonight and the paint seemed to flow a lot better. I'm thankful to everyone who added their coments. At least I'm confident that it's not all operator error. I guess I'll keep pushing paint thru the brush and hope that over time I'll get the hang of it and improve!

both !!!!....why complicate things huh??
excellent point.

Can we start a thread to discus the use of mind-altering substances and art? That's usually an interesting conversation...

I've got a lot of experience in that department fez lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

excellent point.

Can we start a thread to discus the use of mind-altering substances and art? That's usually an interesting conversation...
mostly any experience i had with such substances never culminated in what most would call art..... more like, being resussitated in a pool of my own sweat and urine....... however many arty folk would describe the snow angel/urine/faeces/sweat angel that resulted from my moist flailing during resuss as a thing of natural beauty and "worthy of the turner prize"..... reach for the lasers kids!!

mostly any experience i had with such substances never culminated in what most would call art..... more like, being resussitated in a pool of my own sweat and urine....... however many arty folk would describe the snow angel/urine/faeces/sweat angel that resulted from my moist flailing during resuss as a thing of natural beauty and "worthy of the turner prize"..... reach for the lasers kids!!

I want me some of that LOLOL

Started some ab'ing today, only to find my ab splattering and sputtering. Cleaned her out, and no better. Got pissed off, went inside. Got onto this forum and searched. "Maybe I need to look at my paint thinning", I thought. So I found this thread.

After laughing at the milk, joints, drink, (no sex mentioned!), I was surprised at the amount of reduction you all use. So I calmed down and returned to my workshop. Stripped down the ab again, but this time left the nozzle in a small amount of thinners. During the soak time I added more white spirit to my black.

Gun's working perfect now, that darn diddly, itsy bitsy nozzle must have been partially blocked.

And now I've thinned down the paint further, I can get closer to the surface, and lines are getting finer.

So cheers peeps. Now you can get back to getting high on milk and marijuana........[emoji12]

Might try this..after reduceing the paint spray it on a peice of paper about 1 to 2 inchs away from the tip if it spiders reduce the pressure if it comes out at full pressure but only if the trigger is pulled all the way back the paint needs some more reduceing.If it starts to spray just as you pull the trigger back you should be ok

Back