For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Need to ease vibration of compressor

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Jake Bradley, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Jake Bradley

Jake Bradley Young Tutorling

Hi all,

I have a Paasche D3000R Compressor with Tank. It is very quiet (advertised at 47 dB - and way quieter than my dishwasher) and good for my apartment. However, I noticed that it really vibrates like crazy.

I've tried alternating layers of foam with hard material underneath the rubberized suction cup feet, but the vibration still ends up getting through to the floor and I'm afraid that my neighbors might experience some of their things gently rattling (such as hanging picture frames or things on a desk/surface). Its actually weird that something so quiet could create such vibration!

Is there anything I can do to lessen the vibration of this thing? I'm willing to build about anything to nullify this.

Thanks!
    JB
  2. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

My compressor sat on a platform consisting of two plates wood with rubber dampers between them, and similar rubber feet on the bottom one, you just want your compressor to have as little contact with the floor as possible.

If it is vibrating so bad, could there be a balance problem? The motor armature/main shaft could be slightly bent or a bearing damaged.
  3. Jake Bradley

That's a great idea, I'll just have the hardware store cut a few pieces of wood and find some rubber washers or something.

No, it isn't vibrating as if it is broken, just the normal vibration. I don't even know if it goes through the floor but I can feel the vibration on the floor with my hand and I don't want to wait to hear from my management about it, lol. Our apartments here have very cheap/minimal building materials.
  4. Lt4-396

Lt4-396 Gravity Guru

You can also build a simple a frame and hang it using a old serpentine belt or a old auto vacuum line, basically anything that will slightly give and stretch.

You can also use springs instead of rubber between the wood. If using rubber you want soft rubber instead of hard.
  5. Jake Bradley

I'm not sure I can find a serpentine belt with enough give to nullify the vibrations (In my experience, they are pretty rigid). However, I will experiment and use 3 sheets of wood with the top part on springs and below I'll use rubber weather strips, with rubber strips on the very bottom against the carpet. Awesome ideas, thanks y'all! (runs off to buy crap)
    JackEb and Malky like this.