Needing a ink pen???

RichardH

Detail Decepticon!
I am in need of a colored ink pen that I can use to draw a very thin line. I can't airbrush a thin line for a part of a picture I want to do. It needs to be very, very thin but it adds to or simply makes the picture stand out. I have some very fine black ink pens but this one needs a colored one.
What do others use?
There is a local art store near me that stocks about any brand or kind but I'm not sure which brand is good.
Also don't want to buy a bunch of pens that just doesn't work good. Most of the papers I use are Yupo and illustration boards. Also claybords. I do have a set of claybord or scratchbord ink but don't have a pen to use with them. I would rather have a pen that all ready has the ink in it.
I guess I just need some advise. :confused::confused:
Thanks

Richard

I would recommend a rapidograph technical pen. They come empty and you can use the ink of your choice so long as the properties serve your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree with Joe. Some also call them Leroy lettering pens. The start at .75 and go all the way down to .015 which is super tiny .
I have owned my set since 1970 when I took my first drafting class LOL ..
I also will use a 30/0 script liner brush I think I gave 3 dollars for it at hobby lobby .

The problem with all pens Richard is that what you do sticks out like a sore thumb unless you are really clever with them, even with the thinnest lines it's generally all or nothing, using them on there own can produce great results but combining them with airbrush is difficult, the oaunt yiu out in them has to be thinned way more than you would for your airbrush to get close to a goid result.

I would recommended you try cutting a slit in a piece of Frisket or even paper and spray through that to get your fine lines, how far you open the slit will determine how fine a line you'll get, you can also spray along the edge of a piece of torn paper if you want a blend on one side of your line, try a little practice with these and only go for the pens as a last resort, if you are dead set on the pens have a look at Moltiv and/or Schminke who both make pens you can fill with your airbrush paints.

Another option could be a fine liner brush. It may not stand out as much. Malky is right about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I ended up doing instead if the pens, the pens have their place but takes skill to hide their prominence in our work, skill which I don't have:confused: I stopped using the fine line brush when I discovered that scratching and erasing was quicker once I got the hang of it.

For consistency and appearance I try to just spray as much as I can, even watercolour pencils can be tricky combined with airbrushing but they give way more control than pens since you can decide for yourself how much you out on.

I use both rapidograph's and fine liner brushes extensively in my works, when needed. You can use rapidograph as part of layering process to help blend the lines created with it, and make it look as natural as anything, or use a brush for a more fluid type line. Some people are intimidated by a brush, but they are not too difficult to figure out once in hand ;)

The problem with all pens Richard is that what you do sticks out like a sore thumb unless you are really clever with them, even with the thinnest lines it's generally all or nothing, using them on there own can produce great results but combining them with airbrush is difficult, the oaunt yiu out in them has to be thinned way more than you would for your airbrush to get close to a goid result.

I would recommended you try cutting a slit in a piece of Frisket or even paper and spray through that to get your fine lines, how far you open the slit will determine how fine a line you'll get, you can also spray along the edge of a piece of torn paper if you want a blend on one side of your line, try a little practice with these and only go for the pens as a last resort, if you are dead set on the pens have a look at Moltiv and/or Schminke who both make pens you can fill with your airbrush paints.

Morning Malky
I think I need to play with some ideas like you suggested. Doing a 5x7 size or smaller just tries my ability to control the brush for such a fine line. I'll play with that some today and see if I can get what I would like to get.

Richard

Dip pens are great. You can use any colour and cleaning is easy. But the ink needs to be quite thin. Airbrush "inks" needs to be thinned a bit.

I remember seeing this on here a while back. Might be good to check into them.
I took drafting for 3 years in High School and tried college with it but couldn't do the math classes so I gave that idea up for a future job in that technology. Now everthing is computer done.

Richard
I still have my old drafting table (now paint table) 30/60 45 and t-squares . The math was the easy part for me it was all the other classes that you had to take like English and such I hated LOL.

I still have my set square from school somewhere.. I have rotring technical pens, both isograph and rapidograph but i rarely use them with airbrushing. Pigma Micron pens are very good but like its been said the lines show more prominent than the paint.

Lee

I still have my old drafting table (now paint table) 30/60 45 and t-squares . The math was the easy part for me it was all the other classes that you had to take like English and such I hated LOL.

LONG. LONG time ago when I was in school all I had on my mind was GIRLS and cars. English wasn't a problem but the math was not in my mud brain. I knew I wouldn't be going to full time college, so I just took the basic math stuff to get by and graduate. I remember the first test I had in math at the local so called community college was 10. He must have given me that for spelling my name right. lollollollol
It was down hill from that point on. Just don't understand if you are given a number then you have to show how you came up with getting it. :mad::eek:
Anyway, I think I did OK with my working life.
I still have my square and drafting tools and the 30/60 and 45. I don't use them anymore but they were used when I was drawing pictures a few years back.

Richard

LONG. LONG time ago when I was in school all I had on my mind was GIRLS and cars. English wasn't a problem but the math was not in my mud brain. I knew I wouldn't be going to full time college, so I just took the basic math stuff to get by and graduate. I remember the first test I had in math at the local so called community college was 10. He must have given me that for spelling my name right. lollollollol
It was down hill from that point on. Just don't understand if you are given a number then you have to show how you came up with getting it. :mad::eek:
Anyway, I think I did OK with my working life.
I still have my square and drafting tools and the 30/60 and 45. I don't use them anymore but they were used when I was drawing pictures a few years back.

Richard
Shoot I still have cars and girls on my mind all the time LOL . Oh and motorcycles too can't forget them
And so far my working life part is still going well I have a few more year to put in before I hit retirement age:D
But I do still use my 30/60 and 45 with the airbrush as well as the set of French curves .
Anything you can try to get the job done and look good when it is finished.

I remember when in high school my brother had a Triumph 650. I took it out one day and was racing all the GTO's I could find. Came upon a light at the top of a hill and it turned red just before I got there. I hit both brakes and slid all the way through it. Luckily nothing was coming the other ways. I took it back home and never got back on one again. I probably wouldn't be here today if I had kept riding and racing it. :evil:

LOL Loved the old Triumph's and I would have been one of those GTO's you would have raced :D 400 3 deuces with 4 speed :D I still have that one .
I ride my dad's 58 Harley , I remember him riding me on it when I was to . But some of those old cars I had I really miss a lot.

Back