For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Needle and nozzle

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Ricktarsprayer75, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Ricktarsprayer75

Ricktarsprayer75 Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

Ok i have a question for you experienced ab artists.
    When you talk about a needle being bent are you refering to the point of the needle?
    From what i understand on how a brush works paint is let out onto the needle and then pulled off by a venturi/vortex. So if the needle is skewed at the end it will not be ejected uniformly or predictably.
    I know my needle is bent at the end as i have stabbed myself and the substrate plenty of times with it. Under a magnifying glass it is skewed to one side.
    Also my nozzle is now looking a little flared so im supposing that it is now letting more paint out at the point of pulling back the trigger and releasing paint.
    Id like to know how long on average you guys replace needles and nozzle.
    I know my lack of experience and clumsiness has contributed to my brushes demise at the moment and im going to have to learn to be a bit more careful. My wallet is telling me too as well lol.
    Ive been using interdental brushes to clean my nozzle and one snapped off inside it the other day.
    I think i flared my nozzle and bent my needle getting it out.
    I,ll invest in a cleaning kit soon as.
    My inexperience and clumsiness is the reason im upgrading to a hpb+ and not a micron as that could get quite expensive ha ha.
    Any thoughts would be very helpful. Cheers in advance
    musicmacd likes this.
  2. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

Yes your right about the tip being bent it will catch paint in the hook of the bend and let it at the wrong time in your painting(It seams to know when the worst time is) You can fix a bent needle (theres a few post on here how to do it just use search Theres also a kit you can get to do it and it will be like a new needle ) as for the flared nozzle just get a new one:thumbsup:
    Ricktarsprayer75 likes this.
  3. Ricktarsprayer75

Thanks base.
    I went from being in total control yesterday to sheer bewilderment. All i did was clean my cup and needle and it all went wrong. I could not get a fine line, every spray felt and looked awful.
    Thick lines no matter how little i opened the trigger. I cleaned my nozzle about 3 more times but no joy.
    I,ll look into the posts about re working the needle. Thanks
    basepaint likes this.
  4. DaveG

DaveG Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Yep, bent needle can be bad ju-ju. Depending on the bend, it can also damage the nozzle, which will then need to be replaced - even if the needle is salvageable. I have bumped my needle against the edge of a drawer while turning to fill the color cup on my brush, and it has created an oblong opening in the nozzle. Even though I could straighten the needle, it would no longer seal the nozzle, so paint would flow even when the trigger was closed, and the pattern was now an odd shape rather than round...

I am more careful these days, just out of habit, than I used to be. So, I do not replace needles/nozzles anywhere near as often as I used to. There is a new tool now, "Sharpenair" which is made to help in repairing bent needle tips. I have not used one, but it is on my "need to buy one" list. I would say that if you can actually see that the nozzle is flared, it is time to replace, and if you can fix a needle, give it a go.
  5. Ronald art

Ronald art Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I replace bend needles and damaged nozzles with new once but I cant remember the last time I had a bend needle .
    In general I replace the nozzle on my microns every year depending how much it was used but when I notice my airbrush starts to preform less than it should do I replace the nozzle as they do wear out over time
  6. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

If a needle and nozzle aren't damaged, then I would replace it anyway after a year (or longer as I'm tight lol) of frequent use, just because of natural wear and possible slow depreciation of performance that may not be noticed. The old set then becomes an emergency back up. But that's just me, and different brushes and brands wear at different rates I'm sure.
  7. Ricktarsprayer75

Yeh ive been using my brush constantly for 6 months almost every day.
    Im sure i clean it too often but i think that is down to messing around with reduction and mixing colours which clog up my nozzle. I definitely need to invest in some restorer and a proper cleaning kit.
    Forcing an interdental brush into the nozzle cant be good for it.
    I have noticed my needle is stuck out further than it used to be as well. There also a mark that i cant remove around the needle where the needle sits sgainst the nozzle.
    When i get my hpb i expect that i,ll have to be even more careful.
    Ive used graphic air who are based in england before and have had good experiences with them.
    I,ll order a new set. Works out at £ 35.00. £ 25.00 nozzle and £10.00 needle.
    musicmacd likes this.
  8. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

Forcing anything at all into the nozzle isn't good for it, I never ever put anything at all into the nozzle except another needle, you can make your needle and nozzle last a lot longer than six months by simply removing your nozzle and soaking it in either restorer or thinners, when you put your nozzle back blast some standard airbrush cleaner through it into a spray pot or tissue, as far as the needle goes, you can pull that out and run a tissue with restorer or cleaner on it pulling quickly always from the back to front but never backwards, you can avoid bending or hooking you needle using a forked needle protector cap which will allow you to see the needle when you work without risk of damage.

But the proper cleaning materials and fluids are definitely an investment, think of all the other things you buy just by making your needle and nozzle last about three years which is doable, on avarage, about 90% of the damage needles and nozzles suffer comes from situations we could easily have avoided, being guilty myself of just about every silly little crime and despite being sometimes sick about that, I do derive some consolation in the hope that maybe one or two shrewd folks could be spared some of the cost and upset by simply learning from my stupidity instead of their own:)
    musicmacd, DaveG and Ricktarsprayer75 like this.
  9. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Graphic air are good, I've used them, also air-craft.net.
  10. Ricktarsprayer75

Thinking about getting my hpb from them as well. Bought my bambi from them they were very helpful and gave me a free bottle of oil so i ended up with two.
    Squishy likes this.
  11. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

No, not a good thing to do. Get a long bristle artist brush, and a bottle of restorer. Soak the nozzle, work the brush in the nozzle to shift the gunk. Keep the metal from the brush away from the nozzle or you will likely scratch the nozzle.
    I've got small plastic "Decor" brand sauce/condiment pots (I assume they're global) that I drop the nozzle/needle cap into. I've had reducer in it for 4 years and not detriment to the pot. Restorer is reusable so it's very economical. I use the interdental brush for the paint Chanel from the cup to the top and getting under that annoying ridge at the bottom of the cup (iwata)
  12. Ricktarsprayer75

I,ll take this advice on board jackeb.
    The more i think about putting an interdental brush in there the more i realise what a bad idea it is.
    They have bristles attached to a piece of wire so metal on metal is a bad idea. Ah well you live and learn and hopefully others will be dettered by reading this lol.
    I know what you mean about that ridge, there always a bit of pigment or paint hiding in there.
    Another thing is when you tip paint out of the cup, it doesnt matter how quick you turn it vertical you always end up with paint running down the side of the airbrush cup. Maybe iwata could design a little spout on the side for tipping out paint. The lid would have to be redesigned to fit.
    I may patent that idea lol.
  13. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

interdental brushes are a plastic spine, not metal - metal on gum isn't good either. The 'micro airbrush cleaning brushes' (as they are marketed as ) are good for everything else in the shed except airbrushes.
    As for paint running you'll learn to put less paint in the cup thereby minimizing the need to pour it back in the bottle - although I do have syringes for that of needed. If you're just inverting to clean then a tissue over the top prior to the back flip minimises mess.

All this learnt through trial and error- lots of errors lol