Neo and Evolution review

Stranger,
Whad you think about the spectra tex, I got alot of tip dry with it. I have this golden medium made for t shirts. It's suppose to make it adhere to shirts and have a longer life on the shirts. I think STex is more for fabrics, so that might help. Haven't tried it yet though.

I also here what you are saying about wicked drying in the cup, my detail white drys to the cup really bad to the point that it hardly comes off with rubbing alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Drobbins,
I only painted some with the golden yellow, tiger orange, yelow oxyde and the powder blue so far to make some tests on hard surfaces. I havent had an issue with tip
dry with these colors so far. I guess its worse with white and black as it is with most other brands. I have some other colors now since yesterday also some of the metallic ones.
Im going to try them soon, but i dont have the black and white yet to try since i have lots of those colors from other brands still. Oh and they worked very well on a metal surface
in my test, i think as good as the wicked colors too.

I use a window cleaner and the wicked paint comes off pretty good again when i backflush and rubb, but its much harder in the cup then others that i tried yet. I think sometimes
the wicked might also dry abit on the bottom of the cup where paint comes to the nozzle thats why i have much more problems with blocking too when i use wicked. Might also
be that some harder bits go into the nozzle that fall off the cup. I kinda use backflushing to mix my paints in the cup, and when i put in my wicked and thinner and backflush, the paint
that is on the sides of the cup is imidiatly dry on the sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dylan, what is the Spectra tex white like for covering, would you recommend it, tip dry doesn't bother me much, I've accepted it's a part of airbrushing with any paint, so I just patiently pick it off and carry on, it's a whole different story when one of the so called best airbrushes in the world won't do a thing you want it to.

Stranger, since I am someone who can't and won't accept defeat, and since the relative success of my snake head practice, I've decided I'm going to do everything in my power to make this b***ard work, I want the fine detail it boasts about and I'm damn sure going to get it.

I'll email H&S like I said and if I can get a new needle and nozzle and some polished cups I'll be happy, I noticed yesterday that the cups are so bad the paint dries instantly on the cup almost as soon as it hits it, I think that it is possible that dried paint is falling off and getting into the nozzle and then basting out, that's probably why I don't see anything in the nozzle when I check.
I'm sure there is an ideal combination to make it work, I just have to find it.

Thats a good point with parts of the dried paint falling off and create some kind of blockage. I think i had that abit too with the Wicked last night in my Eclipse. I suddenly had a blast coming out even i didnt pull the
trigger any further back. Well i hope H&S are showing some good customer service in this case, and wish you good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a evo x. I seem to have the same issues with the trigger needing to be around half way before paint comes out, also there is the sputtering. It's not the worst I've owned or used but I would like it to be more responsive, any imput would be great.

chicagobob

Stranger,
The more I use the spectra the more I like it. I haven't really been having to much tip dry problems for some reason.

I love there metallic colors. They spray awesome. The metallic colors spray better than any of my createx colors. You dot even have to thin them out. I use the metallic with my 5mm tip. Sprays great.

Madbrush,

I have only tried the tint white I think it's called. I didn't like it, but that was when I was just starting. So I'll give it a go and let you know.

I just bought a evo x. I seem to have the same issues with the trigger needing to be around half way before paint comes out, also there is the sputtering. It's not the worst I've owned or used but I would like it to be more responsive, any imput would be great.

chicagobob

Hard to say bob, maybe try to thinn out your paint some more, and also try different air pressures, maybe you need some more since its a syphon feed airbrush. Also make sure everything is tighten up so the nozzle in the front
is sealed to the body of the airbrush and no air leak is there. Alot of problems happen when the head cap with the nozzle is a little lose. Oh and also make sure there is no tip dry on the needle or a build up of paint in the needle cap.

Stranger,
The more I use the spectra the more I like it. I haven't really been having to much tip dry problems for some reason.

I love there metallic colors. They spray awesome. The metallic colors spray better than any of my createx colors. You dot even have to thin them out. I use the metallic with my 5mm tip. Sprays great.

Madbrush,

I have only tried the tint white I think it's called. I didn't like it, but that was when I was just starting. So I'll give it a go and let you know.

Hey Drobbins,

I also like the SpectraTex colors alot so far. I tried the metallic colors with my cheap chinese gun and a 0.3mm setup and it just sprayed nicely with that small tip too.
Think im also going to just order a small bottle of black and white next time to try them out. Not that i need any white or black at the moment, but im always curious lol.

chicagobob

It's the sputtering that gets me, I can't understand why it would splutter and then behave normal and then splutter again, and it does that constantly, it's useless if you can't trust it to do a line without a blob in the middle.

Stranger, It doesn't matter what I do, even with 20 to 1 thinning I still get all the same problems, I've increased the tension in both trigger and and air-valve springs, in case it was me jerking the trigger, and tried with more pressure, but more pressure gives way too much paint and causes excessive spidering, nothing I do seems to make any difference.

I have cleaned and lubed it again but I won't get the chance to give it another go until the weekend, I'll post the results, it's got to work some time since after rigorous checking I can't see anything that could possibly be wrong with it, needle is as new and the nozzle is totally clean and free from foreign bodies.

It really does not sound good. You spend so much money on what is suppose to be a brilliant gun, and it does not work. I so wanted an Infinity but reading that even that is a hit and miss model, I will rather save for Custom Micron.

It really does not sound good. You spend so much money on what is suppose to be a brilliant gun, and it does not work. I so wanted an Infinity but reading that even that is a hit and miss model, I will rather save for Custom Micron.

Andre, I received some info in the last couple of days about the Infinity, for reasons which can't divulge at the moment, I feel the need to advise you to stay away from the infinity, at least for the time being.

I can say that the problems I've encountered and that others have with both models seem to be only when using water based paints, I have heard that urithanes perform brilliantly, but since I can't use these paints I am in no position to confirm this.

Andre, I received some info in the last couple of days about the Infinity, for reasons which can't divulge at the moment, I feel the need to advise you to stay away from the infinity, at least for the time being.

I can say that the problems I've encountered and that others have with both models seem to be only when using water based paints, I have heard that urithanes perform brilliantly, but since I can't use these paints I am in no position to confirm this.

Thanks Madbrush. I too can only work with water based and it just does not make sense why you can paint with the one and not the other. Sounds like the waterbased paints just dries too fast inside the gun.

Thanks Madbrush. I too can only work with water based and it just does not make sense why you can paint with the one and not the other. Sounds like the waterbased paints just dries too fast inside the gun.

It's also pigment size, urithanes have finer pigments and generally better covering capacity, but since I get reasonably fine detail with my 0.3 Neo, I'll stick to 0.3 in the future, if I need finer detail, I'll use a brush.

All H&S airbrushes should come in a glass case since all they are good for is looking nice.

It's also pigment size, urithanes have finer pigments and generally better covering capacity, but since I get reasonably fine detail with my 0.3 Neo, I'll stick to 0.3 in the future, if I need finer detail, I'll use a brush.

All H&S airbrushes should come in a glass case since all they are good for is looking nice.

Can't you try and get your hands on some Molotow one4all ink. They say it's automotive pigment but it's waterbased. Larz Oschatz uses it with great success in his Infinity. But then again you do not know if he uses the .4 or .15 nozzle.

Well the strange thing is that i use Schmincke, Wicked, Spectra-Tex, and Hansa Pro color in my Evolution with the 0.15mm nozzle and i dont have more problems then with my
Eclipse and the other guns. Tip dry and such things i do have with all of them of course, and ok the 0.15 is clocked abit faster and i have to give it a good flush from time to time.
But i dont have any of the problems like Madbrush´s Evo is having. I also know alot of people in a german airbrush forum that have the Infinity and the Evo and use waterbased paints
without a problem so far. Im sure urethanes would work even better, since they also dont have as much tip dry.
@Madbrush: The Neo even has a 0.35mm nozzle :) but it can do very small details with that setup that is very true.

Well the strange thing is that i use Schmincke, Wicked, Spectra-Tex, and Hansa Pro color in my Evolution with the 0.15mm nozzle and i dont have more problems then with my
Eclipse and the other guns. Tip dry and such things i do have with all of them of course, and ok the 0.15 is clocked abit faster and i have to give it a good flush from time to time.
But i dont have any of the problems like Madbrush´s Evo is having. I also know alot of people in a german airbrush forum that have the Infinity and the Evo and use waterbased paints
without a problem so far. Im sure urethanes would work even better, since they also dont have as much tip dry.
@Madbrush: The Neo even has a 0.35mm nozzle :) but it can do very small details with that setup that is very true.

Your correct of course the Neo is 0.35, but 2 of my cheap brushes are 0.3 and there isn't much difference, also one of them is 0.15 and I have no problem with that either except for more frequent tip dry.

For health reasons I can't use urithanes at all, if I did I would end up immediately in the hospital, this is why I can't do my job any more, I'm a painter & decorator by trade, and no company will take me on when I say I can only use water based Paint.

The information I have over the infinity came from some one important, but for legal reasons I can't mention their name, I can say it's a well known artist and air-brusher form another forum, name of which I also can't mention.

All is not lost, I'll throw the 0.4 on the Evo and just use for unimportant stuff, assuming of course it doesn't still splutter.

I'm more than happy with the Neo and I'll save for another Iwata but stick with a minimum 0.3, I like to work with more 2 or 3 brushes at the same time to avoid constant colour changing.

Patience with such things is definitely not one of my stronger points.

Most excellent and informative test! This is the type of knowledge people find useful.

Most excellent and informative test! This is the type of knowledge people find useful.

Thanks Ignis, as good as it all sounds, the only thing I left out of this was the dire frustration caused by it all, I literally had to wait till I was calm before each post to avoid the use of profanity.

I have in the last week tried it with the 0.4 needle and I get the same problems only less frequent, but my level of patience is not suitable for this devil's tool, I've hidden it away so I never have to see it again and with some luck I'll forget where I put it, thereby avoiding the risk that might pick it up again and drive myself to suicide.

Back