New Airbrush

Vince Driver

Needle-chuck Ninja
Good morning everyone. I'm a newbie here and looking for advice. Have a guy looking to sell me an airbrush. What are the opinions on Iwata eclipse HP-BS and Badger Renegade Krome. Which would be a better all around brush for my training. $80.00 each. Badger never used and eclipse used a couple times.

Hi, Vince - I have both of those brushes. In my opinion the Iwata is a better built brush, that will be capable of lasting a lifetime. They are quite versatile as well, so a fantastic brush to learn and grow with. This is a brush I recommend probably most often to someone new looking for a good tool to begin with.

On the other hand, the Badger is also a very good brush. They are capable of very fine and detailed work, as well as a broad range of coverage. At times I find them to be more forgiving than the Iwata in terms of paint reduction, and preparation, but at times the opposite can also be said. Badger parts are generally less expensive to replace vs the Iwata when/if the need arises, and Badger as a company has fantastic customer service.

In the end, they are both decent to very good brushes that you really can't go wrong with.

I can't judge the badger as I have never worked with one , but I would go for the Iwata all the way and imo everything is better than a master airbrush ;)

I also own both brush's and at that price I would get them both as the HP-CS is bottle feed and the krome is not you can use the bottle feed for bigger area's and the Krome for your smaller area's and detail work

I always recommend the eclipse brushes, though usually the hp-cs. The only difference though is the cup, the cs is bigger and has a lid. Its very reliable, and as mentioned parts aren't the cheapest (and not the most expensive either) however they are very tough and hard wearing, so with correct handling they last a long time, so IMO it balances out.

Its a great brush to learn on but you wont outgrow it, it is a workhorse and very versatile, and although not a detail brush, the more you use it the more you get out of it, including very fine detail.

If possible I would ask to see the brush(es) in action. Make sure there is no paint getting into the back of the brush, no bubbles appear in the cup when in use. That it sprays clean. Check the needle and nozzle are good, no cracks ir chips and that the needle is straight an whole at the tip. If so then parts will need replacing, depending on what is needed, when you add it to the $80 it might work out better to buy new.

I don't know much about the Krome, with a .2 (I believe :)) nozzle, its more towards the detail side. People on the forum love them, but I do notice a few more issues popping up, although that could be user error. And Badger do seem to have great after sales care to resolve issues.

Don't get me wrong, it's been OK doing dots and lines but just want to get a better one for future work.

People sell the G22 short real quick - while I do not have that particular brush, I do have MANY that are about the same build, and they produce fantastic results for me, with a minimum of fuss. Now, there are a TON of brushes being produced that all look about the same, so it is a chore finding the right one(s), but when you do, I would put them up there with just about anything else I use in terms of the quality of the details they are capable of producing. Not the same league as a Micron, but darn fine just the same. I use mine (inexpensive imports) way more than my Eclipse or Badger airbrushes :).

To remove the guesswork, I will generally recommend the Eclipse series to newbies - as they are built like tanks, and work just the way they are supposed to. The quality of the build will last a life time, whereas many others would not survive the abuse a newbie will put on them while learning :eek: :).

I also own both brush's and at that price I would get them both as the HP-CS is bottle feed and the krome is not you can use the bottle feed for bigger area's and the Krome for your smaller area's and detail work
He mentioned the BS which is gravity feed with the small cup. BCS is the bottom feed.

I own both of those guns...I first purchased the Krome and fell in love. But, at the same time, my Hot Rod Eclipse is a total bad ass! I can get nice tight lines eith both, but the Eclipse makes me work for it lol

Yep still have my badger krome, that's all I used for the elephant panniers

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Back