New artist Bernie hawk 9/12/17

welcome aboard! Are you carving these as well, or just painting? Either way, very interested, and look forward t seeing more. Will help as much as I can, too.

Dave G
Yes I carve all my decorative duck, geese, hawk/raptor and song birds from a rectangle of bass wood. Then literally hundreds of thousands single pyrotechnic burn lines representing feather vanes are created. Feathers are undercut and carved to provide loft and visual interest, shadows.

I need education on acrylic painting. I have the equipment to do the job. Mixing colors and application of washes the most vexing skill that I need.

Thank you for your interest.

Berniehawk

Dave G
Yes I carve all my decorative duck, geese, hawk/raptor and song birds from a rectangle of bass wood. Then literally hundreds of thousands single pyrotechnic burn lines representing feather vanes are created. Feathers are undercut and carved to provide loft and visual interest, shadows.

I need education on acrylic painting. I have the equipment to do the job. Mixing colors and application of washes the most vexing skill that I need.

Thank you for your interest.

Berniehawk

Big John,

I was born 12/4/47. Carving came easily to me and my brother. Both of us were tool and die makers. All we do is cut away all the wood that DOESN'T look like the subject. ( tongue in cheek)
So the creation of the subject is not such a problem as bringing it to life with realistic acrylic painting.

Having no training whatsoever I we have worked from expert books by master carvers and painters.

Master airbrush g44. / compressor. Golden acrylics. Dozens of paint brushes. 16 x 24' heated and air conditioned studio in my 32'x60' pole barn.

IMG_20160908_141130.jpg

Well its a good thing Im not interested in wood... carving ? lol cuz seeing your pics woulda made me give up and quit! I can barely handle airbrushing!

Big John,

I was born 12/4/47. Carving came easily to me and my brother. Both of us were tool and die makers. All we do is cut away all the wood that DOESN'T look like the subject. ( tongue in cheek)
So the creation of the subject is not such a problem as bringing it to life with realistic acrylic painting.

Having no training whatsoever I we have worked from expert books by master carvers and painters.

Master airbrush g44. / compressor. Golden acrylics. Dozens of paint brushes. 16 x 24' heated and air conditioned studio in my 32'x60' pole barn.View attachment 49845
Absolutely wonderful work. Being self trained just shows that you had that natural artistic talent buried in you and found a way to express it. You must be a perfectionist for the time it takes to carve your subject. Your painting ability is already there, but I realize you also are trying to achieve perfection . there are many great artists on this forum, also perfectionist, who will help whenever they can.

The carving looks amazing. You've come to the right place for help with the painting. These guys will see you right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely carving, i hope you have a great stay here and learn something if you need to although it looks like you already have control over the airbrush

Lee

Back