New projector.

larz313

Gravity Guru
I'm looking to but a new projector. Something I can use USB, SD, and my PC and Android device with. Any suggestions? Something good but easy on the wallet please.

How do you define easy on the wallet? A projector that meets your criteria will set back around $450 upwards although there are some pico projectors for around 250.

Whatever you do, do not get sucked into the $50 Chinese stuff, this will bring you severe disappointment, check the specs of everything you see, your main concern is "native resolution" most projectors can display images at 1080p but if it's native resolution is 320 X 240 all it does is convert a high quality image to a excremente one, I would recommend visiting a shop that sells them and demend to see it in action.

Have a look at the projector thread on the forum, the one Mitch has is about the best you will find for price.

I bought a cheap projector http://www.amazon.com/ERISAN-Multim...TF8&qid=1434083369&sr=1-19&keywords=projector for $80, its native resolution is 320x480 I think its pretty crappy, but ive been able to transfer a portrait with it. I DONT RECOMMEND THAT ONE

The ones you listed look good, better than the one that I got, check the native resolution, that is the actual pixel amount you will see.
The picos resolution is: 960x540

The second projector is: 800*480

That pico is probably going to be better for image transfers i would think.

I bought a cheap projector http://www.amazon.com/ERISAN-Multim...TF8&qid=1434083369&sr=1-19&keywords=projector for $80, its native resolution is 320x480 I think its pretty crappy, but ive been able to transfer a portrait with it. I DONT RECOMMEND THAT ONE

The ones you listed look good, better than the one that I got, check the native resolution, that is the actual pixel amount you will see.
The picos resolution is: 960x540

The second projector is: 800*480

That pico is probably going to be better for image transfers i would think.
Yeah. The one i have now is kind of like that. I will be getting the pico one here soon.

Let me know , i have long considered a pico type projector for various uses.

Being heavy into home theatre there are a few more factors to throw into consideration. Even tho I'm new to airbrushing, image projection is something I'm not new to.

Check native resolution -already covered
get onto manufacturer website, they will give you projection size vs projector distance. I.E. to achieve a 72" projection your projector will need to be x feet from screen. Make sure you have enough space in your studio to achieve the maximum size you intent to paint.
Bulb brightness - usually in lumins, this will help with the detail of the image and in what kind of ambient light you can get a good image in.
contrast ratio - another detail setting. check manufacturers site again. Alot of websites quote millions to 1 - this is a lie the manufacturers will give you actual contrast ratio in hundreds or thousands to 1.

Hope that helps and not confuse your selection.

Edit: I read a quick review of the first projector and you will basically need a cinema style ambient light to get a good image due to the low lumins rating.

Maybe this might suit better

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420713,00.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Also found this which gives a lot of info in the product description which is nice for a change and at 50 lumins it should be pretty good in evening light (definitely not sun light). There is a video review in one of the Amazon reviews.

it also apparently comes with a standard camera stand to get your image perfectly projected on your canvas!

RIF6 Cube mobile projector - Amazon.com
RIF6 - Manufacturers Website

50 lumins brightness using LED technology
Contrast 1000:1 - this is bloody good for the size and tech.
Native Resolution 854x480 (WGA), Which is just under half the resolution of 1080p
Throw Ratio 1.99:1 Dist/Width,
Video Input up to Full HD 1080p,
36" display at 3' distance
65" at 6'
140" at 12'

I think if I was going to buy a mobile projector, this would be the one i would use. Looks like they have got the best details and contrast out of this little thing for the resolution it can display.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back