new to airbrush specs - what to look for?

D

Darshel

Stumbled upon this forum via fb and have to say it looks excellent!
Ive been using a basic airbrush for a bit now, mainly for custom portraits onto cakes.
I would like to take this to a higher level and with more conventional media.

My question is, how do i know what my airbrush set up is compared to the pro artist guns and compressors, and what should i actually be looking for when the time comes to upgrade? And in particular, what do i need to create animal and fine detailed portraits?

To start, what airbrush and compressor are you currently using? Are you planning on Photorealism? What size paintings do you plan on doing?

To be honest the set up i have could only be described as basic/entry level. sufficient for the cakes, with the finer details being hand brushed onto the portraits.

My main gun is a gravity fed 0.4-0.5mm nozzel, with a compressor capable of 15-28psi working pressure only.
I am defintily aiming for photorealism, and working on paintings most likely up to about 1m square in size (i wouldnt think i would have a need go any larger than this).

Ive just had a quick look through the files on guns and compressors, and i am thinking that i should look at a 0.2mm gun (brand?) and perhaps the iwata power jet lite. But i really need some guidance here.

I asked the size question because it depends on how small of a painting you plan on doing.
On a 1M painting, detail could be achieved with most airbrushes. I usually do 8x10 or smaller, so I have a few detail brushes.
A .2mm would be concidered a detail gun. I'd recommend an name brand like Iwata, Harder & Steenbeck, or Badger.

Thanks jeff.
So for example on a painting the size of an 6x8 or 8x10 (which would be the main size im expecting to use - sorry i misunderstood when you asked sizing and assumed you were asking maximum), what would be your main gun sizes?

Get the best airbrush you can afford - there are a lot of good ones and they have their pro's and cons. Read here and don't be afraid to ask. Iwata is a good all round brush, the Eclipse HP-CS is a great work horse. Worst thing you can do is buy a cheap brush - don't go there... The brush is about 1/2 the cost. And don'rt be afraid to ask (yes that was a repeat!) Check out the videos on the airbrushtutor site. Look forward to seeing how you go!

Thanks jeff.
So for example on a painting the size of an 6x8 or 8x10 (which would be the main size im expecting to use - sorry i misunderstood when you asked sizing and assumed you were asking maximum), what would be your main gun sizes?

My preference is toward Iwata and H&S. For all smaller paintings, I'd definitely use a detail gun. I like All of my detail brushes, they all just behave slightly different.

Iwata Custom Micron-
Most expensive and consistent, it is still the best detail brush I've used. Parts are also expensive. I normally shy new uses against it because in the learning curve of airbrushing, you will likely damage a few needles and nozzles. If you have tons of cash and can afford it, by all means get one.

H&S Infinity and Evolution-
Parts are reasonable in price. These can take anywhere from a .15mm nozzle up to a .6mm. They are the easiest to swap out needles, nozzles and are the easiest to break down and clean in my opinion.

Iwata HP-CH- very good quality brush, reliable and consistent. It does have a .3mm nozzle, but is capable of fine detail. The HP-BS and HP-SB have a .2mm if you are looking for a smaller nozzle.

Mojo III- built by Mike Learn. I have the Size 0 head in mine which is .12mm. It is a great brush for fine detail, but is a bit finicky. You have to manually dial in the spray pattern on the head assembly. Once you figure it out, it's very nice, but I wouldn't suggest it for a beginner. I
The size 0 head also sprays very low volumes of paint, so if you wanted to do a background on a somewhat larger painting. It would be completely impractical.

EDIT:
One brush to look into even though it's not really categorized as a detail brush is the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. It has a .35mm nozzle, parts are reasonable, easy to maintain, reliable, and is capable of decent detail.

Last edited:
My preference is toward Iwata and H&S. For all smaller paintings, I'd definitely use a detail gun. I like All of my detail brushes, they all just behave slightly different.

Iwata Custom Micron-
Most expensive and consistent, it is still the best detail brush I've used. Parts are also expensive. I normally shy new uses against it because in the learning curve of airbrushing, you will likely damage a few needles and nozzles. If you have tons of cash and can afford it, by all means get one.

H&S Infinity and Evolution-
Parts are reasonable in price. These can take anywhere from a .15mm nozzle up to a .6mm. They are the easiest to swap out needles, nozzles and are the easiest to break down and clean in my opinion.

Iwata HP-CH- very good quality brush, reliable and consistent. It does have a .3mm nozzle, but is capable of fine detail. The HP-BS and HP-SB have a .2mm if you are looking for a smaller nozzle.

Mojo III- built by Mike Learn. I have the Size 0 head in mine which is .12mm. It is a great brush for fine detail, but is a bit finicky. You have to manually dial in the spray pattern on the head assembly. Once you figure it out, it's very nice, but I wouldn't suggest it for a beginner. I
The size 0 head also sprays very low volumes of paint, so if you wanted to do a background on a somewhat larger painting. It would be completely impractical.

EDIT:
One brush to look into even though it's not really categorized as a detail brush is the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. It has a .35mm nozzle, parts are reasonable, easy to maintain, reliable, and is capable of decent detail.

Thanks so much Jeff! Ive only just logged back in now so sorry for the delay in replying.
I think Ive narrowed down my next compressor choice so your advice will go a long way in helping me to settle on a selection of better brushes.
Really appreciate your time!

Back