New to the whole airbrushing thing.

MrNewAge

Young Tutorling
As it says I'm new to the whole airbrushing thing but this is something I would love to take on as another hobby. I mainly would like to paint fishing lures maybe in the near future I can delve into other things. I purchased a gun and some createx airbrush paints for now I wanna get the hang of things and maybe ill get some better stuff. If there's anything anyone can tell me thanks for your time it's greatly appreciated. And yes I have watched a lot of YouTube videos as well.

Turn around and run away as fast as you can..... No ? Ok, welcome to your new addiction and to the craziest forum around :)

Turn around and run away as fast as you can..... No ? Ok, welcome to your new addiction and to the craziest forum around :)
Thank you guys. I guess I have a question when I use my airbrush is the needle supposed to tuck into the gun every time I pull the trigger... Might be a silly newb question I know but it just seems like it goes all the way in...

Welcome MrNewAge. Yes, the needle does go all the way back.This is the way an airbrush works. The needle is just there to block the opening where the paint comes out.The further you pull it back the more paint comes out. A trick you have to master is air on, paint on, paint off, air off. Or down, back, forward, up.

Welcome MrNewAge. Yes, the needle does go all the way back.This is the way an airbrush works. The needle is just there to block the opening where the paint comes out.The further you pull it back the more paint comes out. A trick you have to master is air on, paint on, paint off, air off. Or down, back, forward, up.
Yea thanks lol out of all the videos I watched about airbrushing and different paints and what not I never watched a video of how an airbrush actually works but I just did . But thank you anyway...
Any guys on here paint fishing lures...???

Welcome, MrNewAge, from Australia!
Lure painting is not something I personally do, but I know a couple of guys who are.
Is it the natural colour shades , scales etc, that you're after, or is it more of a custom paint like Rapala uses on its lures these days?
Some of the newer ranges of these things are incredibly life like in their colours, so It's no surprise that a fisho would want to copy it.
They look great!
I'm sure someone here can add some tips and tricks to get you happening.
A little bit about your gear will help us to help you - airbrush make , needle size , compressor type, paints etc will help greatly.
As for your lures, are they the moulded type [ plastic ] or the hand made type [ wood ] ?
Each will have it's premium paint type because of the nature of the material itself, not surprisingly.

Well like I said I bought a master's airbrush set with ac from Amazon and I went and got some createx paints. But when I get better I will get better things.

Well like I said I bought a master's airbrush set with ac from Amazon and I went and got some createx paints. But when I get better I will get better things.

Welcome to the forum, unfortunately with these cheap kits it can sometimes mean that not having better things can stop you getting better, that isn't the case 100% of the time but it happens, the compressor isn't too important at this stage but if the brush should fail you just don't let that put you off, hopefully it will at least get off to a good start and there are plenty of good lower end brushes from recognised brand names available which are also very affordable if you don't want to spend too much.

Get asking those questions and learn as much as you can, and make your questions as hard as possible cos I just love a challenge, lol

Check which createx paint you have, the standard is designed to go through a thicker needle and will clog a 3mm (or less) very quickly.
Nothing wrong with createx paint. The masters air brush could let you down. Iwata neo is an affordable first brush

Welcome Home
Now tell me about this airbrush you bought:D Do it have a brand name ? Like Iwata Eclipse CS .
On the Createx paints , Please tell me they are WICKED or Illustration and not the standard Ceatex Textile paint.
Fishing lures are pretty easy as far as things to paint. Snax a buddy of mine even has his own set of templates http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=4820-00
But being fishing lures are not made from textiles standard Createx will not hold up well . Most finish them off with a good 2k clear

Welcome aboard...it seems that you may have purchased something similar to what i did....i now have different stuff to work with because of the frustration i was having.....hope you have better luck than myself..however i did get to paint a few things with my first stuff...it still worked and i still have it but a quality brush is way less stressful...lol...

Welcome Home
Now tell me about this airbrush you bought:D Do it have a brand name ? Like Iwata Eclipse CS .
On the Createx paints , Please tell me they are WICKED or Illustration and not the standard Ceatex Textile paint.
Fishing lures are pretty easy as far as things to paint. Snax a buddy of mine even has his own set of templates http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=4820-00
But being fishing lures are not made from textiles standard Createx will not hold up well . Most finish them off with a good 2k clear
Well from everything I've read with brushes with a smaller tip size the createx regular paints would need to be thinned. And as far as it not holding up I was going to use an epoxy over it because the lures will get banged up. I will however be getting some better stuff soon when money is right but for now I guess I gotta see how this goes. I mean even on the createx website it says for smaller sized mm to thin the paints out. I do have a few wicked colors too. What do you guys think about com art?

Well from everything I've read with brushes with a smaller tip size the createx regular paints would need to be thinned. And as far as it not holding up I was going to use an epoxy over it because the lures will get banged up. I will however be getting some better stuff soon when money is right but for now I guess I gotta see how this goes. I mean even on the createx website it says for smaller sized mm to thin the paints out. I do have a few wicked colors too. What do you guys think about com art?

If it's regular createx you have, thinning it won't help much since it's the density of the pigment which is the problem and that can't be thinned I'm afraid.

If it's regular createx you have, thinning it won't help much since it's the density of the pigment which is the problem and that can't be thinned I'm afraid.
Createx Airbrush Colors work best out of the bottle with a 0.5mm tip-sized airbrush operated @ 40 – 50 PSI. For smaller tip-sizes, lower PSI settings and fine-line detailed artwork, reduce with either Createx 5601 Transparent Base or Createx 5608 Illustration Base. For more application information, visit our website’s technical pages. And that's from Createx directly or is it a lie Idk . That's why I need help lol.

Createx Airbrush Colors work best out of the bottle with a 0.5mm tip-sized airbrush operated @ 40 – 50 PSI. For smaller tip-sizes, lower PSI settings and fine-line detailed artwork, reduce with either Createx 5601 Transparent Base or Createx 5608 Illustration Base. For more application information, visit our website’s technical pages. And that's from Createx directly or is it a lie Idk . That's why I need help lol.

The technical info is totally different from what actually happens in practice, I didn't point this to be clever, I did it to save you the grief that I and many others here have had with the same excremente, basically if your not doing T-shirts or any other kind of fabric at 60 psi with a 0.5 mozzle and above I can guarantee you will get very little joy out of it, and the biggest problem you will have is tip dry, and over-thinning will cause it to break up, and your master airbrush is only going to make all of this worse, but the good news is your brush will give it up a lot sooner than they normally do thanks to the stuff, lol lol lol

my master brush is a G44...i took the needle out and polished the heck outta the tip it helped allot...but i still had lots of issues with the Createx paint. i wish i would have found this forum prior to buying would have saved me headache time and a few bucks...my compressor is starting to fail me now but luckly im a wiz about fixing stuff so i can repair until the cash is right for a better one...or maybe ill build a silent one...who knows....dont get discouraged....ask lots of questions peeps here WILL help and life in AB hobby can become fulfilling....

Back