Newb question about cleaning

huskystafford

Needle chucking Ninja
Staff member
Admin
Mod
hey all. I got one weird question. I see all around they promote using expensive wipes for using when cleaning airbrush. Argument behind that is that you don't get small fibers in the airbrush which would be big as a bus in comparison to needle.

Like for example:
CL-150_Refill-Pack.jpg

So how did they clean in the sixties? I doubt they had fancy wipes....Why can't I use nice soft comfortable toilet paper? :D

15833332_Alt09

And I really would like to know what they used 50 years ago. :)

Thank you for your time in advance :)

I have lots of cotton rags and q-tips for those hard to reach places. Also if you have an old AB needle that is beyond economic repair keep it for cleaning as well.

Hey,thanks guys for replies. That's how I was thinking. I got bunch of nice toilet paper in house. And I didn't see anywhere, someone would be having problems with using other wipes then expensive ones. So I was thinking those expensive wipes promotions are advertisement and nothing more.

I rather ask then later regret it. :)

I have lots of cotton rags and q-tips for those hard to reach places. Also if you have an old AB needle that is beyond economic repair keep it for cleaning as well.
I have full equipment for repairing and cleaning my airbrushes. That was actually the first thing I spend my money on.

Hey,thanks guys for replies. That's how I was thinking. I got bunch of nice toilet paper in house. And I didn't see anywhere, someone would be having problems with using other wipes then expensive ones. So I was thinking those expensive wipes promotions are advertisement and nothing more.

I rather ask then later regret it. :)
Use paper towels as the T.P> will fall apart after wetting it!;)

I've used the wipes and they are definitely convenient, but aren't really needed. I use blue shop rag, (the blue paper towels in a roll) with some AB cleaner, inter dental sticks and Q tips. They all seem to work fine. Early on I bought the Iwata Cleaning kit as it had some useful stuff in there.

I spend so much money for the equipment, so your advices gonna save me a lot of money on the long run. Thanks everyone.
Never be afraid to ask before any purchase, especially when starting out. If I’d found this forum earlier than I did I could have saved some money for sure.

Normally I use either blue roll or a good quality paper towel with Iwata or Badger cleaner. Toilet paper or "Bog Roll" as we call it here falls to bits so i don't use it. Alternatively I will use 2k solvent thinner if I have a bad blockage or need a more aggressive clean it works so well. I also have acetone which I've used in the past with success. I have the inter dental brushes too and just regular paint brushes for cleaning the cup and tip. A child's tooth brush is Ok too for general cleaning and the outside of the AB.
Many years ago I cut up t-shirts and boxer shorts to use as they are nice soft material. When they get dirty you just put them in the washing machine and reuse them. (but don't tell the other half)

Lee

I use WIcked, so I will order restorer. :) I noticed today toilet paper felt apart, big cleaning tissues didn't. I do have 2 problems while cleaning. Or i don't judge distance very good, but when I wanna put needle back inside I kinda go by the feeling to hit that small hole... -.- This sounds so weird... And I can't see inside of the nozzle... In the guide for cleaning Iwata guy wrote that I need to inspect if nozzle is clean. And I can't see inside, even with magnifying glass, cause it's all shiny inside and reflects light...

You guys have super ray vision? -.-

I use WIcked, so I will order restorer. [emoji4] I noticed today toilet paper felt apart, big cleaning tissues didn't. I do have 2 problems while cleaning. Or i don't judge distance very good, but when I wanna put needle back inside I kinda go by the feeling to hit that small hole... -.- This sounds so weird... And I can't see inside of the nozzle... In the guide for cleaning Iwata guy wrote that I need to inspect if nozzle is clean. And I can't see inside, even with magnifying glass, cause it's all shiny inside and reflects light...

You guys have super ray vision? -.-
Make sure you have something bright coloured behind the nozzle. So if you're looking into the larger back end of the nozzle, have some good lighting and a piece of white paper or something in front of it.
Then move the glass back and forward to focus or your eye closer and further from the glass. Blobs you see, rotate the nozzle, if the blob moves, it's likely to be paint. If it doesn't, it's likely a reflection.
Make sure you read and follow the directions on the Restorer, it's for soaking nozzles, not running through the brush. It will eat a lot of O Rings, so remove any that may be present before soaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you have something bright coloured behind the nozzle. So if you're looking into the larger back end of the nozzle, have some good lighting and a piece of white paper or something in front of it.
Then move the glass back and forward to focus or your eye closer and further from the glass. Blobs you see, rotate the nozzle, if the blob moves, it's likely to be paint. If it doesn't, it's likely a reflection.
Make sure you read and follow the directions on the Restorer, it's for soaking nozzles, not running through the brush. It will eat a lot of O Rings, so remove any that may be present before soaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This will be handy. Those reflections were messing with my mind. -.-

I do appreciate all advices you guys gave it to me. The first time I went to clean my airbrush I was scared like I went to medical surgery and they gonna operate me -.-

I made myself a3 guide and printed it, so I can have it in front of me. :D
I know it sounds weird, but I am not scared to admit :)

Dude, we all have similar stories. It wasn't long ago that I started airbrushing and in terms of learning I'd say 50% came from making mistakes and 50% came from this exact forum and the amazing bunch of people who make the community. I've been able to progress by having a place to be open and admit to being intimidated or just not knowing what the hell to do, and getting nothing but support and great in depth answers to my questions. don't worry about not knowing, sharing knowledge and learning is what this place is all about and what it was set up for. #spreadthelove

Back