Not gonna last much longer

GregStith

Air-Valve Autobot!
When things go right this hobby is so satisfying. But when they go wrong it can just drain you. I can't learn much or improve with my art because I'm always troubleshooting. If I keep having theses issues I'll hang it up and try another hobby.

I just finished the Mother Theresa project on a high. Halfway through the project I replaced a bent needle that helped my brush flow great with illustration black. Now I'm on another piece using Wicked red mixed with Wicked Pthalo green. I'm using 1:1:60 ratio. That's right! 1 drop red, 1 drop green, 60 drops w500. I can only spray about 30 seconds before major tip dry. I'm using an Olympos with .23 needle If this is normal then I don't see how anybody can do any color portraits without pulling their hair out.

I've used restorer, dental brushes to clean, sealed the airbrush with thread sealant. No improvement.

What air pressure ?
on my micron using the w500 I would start at 1 drop red , 1 drop green and 20 drops reducer at 15 to 20 PSI. I rarely get tip dry I mainly use my CM-C+ with the .18 set up. I never have use a dental brush on anything on my ab .
Now if I add white into that mix then yes no hair city ...:D
But at 60 drops reducer that is about 2 to 5 PSI max The higher the PSI the faster the paint will dry due to just the way air movement works

Other question, what are the weather conditions where you are...?

Greg, if you have a possibility to draw at the place where the fumes aren't problem, try urethanes. I think you'll be surprised.
But always wear respirator with charcoal cartriges. And it's good idea to make ventilation if you don't have. I don't have it for now but it's not a problem, respirator is enough as not much paint goes through an AB.

I understand that it dissapoints you when there are some issues with painting but you'll find what's best for you. I think many here had those problems with the tip dry, painting surface etc. I was using for the start WB paints and that was headake! After switching to urethanes I have no problems. And slow reducer is better to use for the dilution.

The only part where airbrush maintenance play a part in tip-dry, its a bent needle. But you can see that from a mile as the paint builds up on the crooked side. But I would suggest other paints. Don't let the paint dictate how you should work. Try E'tac. I've emptied a few cups without having to wipe the needle once. Not white though, it is still a night mare.

What air pressure ?
on my micron using the w500 I would start at 1 drop red , 1 drop green and 20 drops reducer at 15 to 20 PSI. I rarely get tip dry I mainly use my CM-C+ with the .18 set up. I never have use a dental brush on anything on my ab .
Now if I add white into that mix then yes no hair city ...:D
But at 60 drops reducer that is about 2 to 5 PSI max The higher the PSI the faster the paint will dry due to just the way air movement works
I'm in the 10 to 15 range.

The only part where airbrush maintenance play a part in tip-dry, its a bent needle. But you can see that from a mile as the paint builds up on the crooked side. But I would suggest other paints. Don't let the paint dictate how you should work. Try E'tac. I've emptied a few cups without having to wipe the needle once. Not white though, it is still a night mare.

The illustration black allowed me to work for a long time without wiping as well. Maybe I need to get an entire set of illustration. I'm gonna try some more today. Thanks everyone!!

Nobody has an easy time with reductions . it leads to spidering, clogging and many put it down to their lack of skill, its probably the biggest headache.
I spent a lot of time scratching my head wondering why I'm not 'getting it' but I also know that I've very new to all this and I have a lot to learn.
the pain will ease as you progress, my journey is still bumpy. I will say that since getting the E'tac paints my learning process has been a little easier, I can concentrate on technique and what I'm actually doing rather than fuss about with reduction issues. I love the illustration range from Createx and some of the effects and transitions have been awesome, but for now, i'll hone my skill with the E'tac and ease back into the Createx.

Thanks guys. If I knew it was something with the airbrush I'd fix it. Or the paint, I'd switch. It's just not knowing. I do know this Pthalo green is harder to squeeze out of the bottle than the other colors. I also started mixing in a separate cup today and noticed the green didn't dissolve into the reducer as easy as a blue that I tried. I'm gonna put the green in a shaker and see if there is a difference.

I know you may not appreciate these words, sometimes people don't but really whats the fun of learning any new skill if it isn't a challenge. I don't doubt it does frustrate but its so unique to each individual that its hard to say or follow any specific advice to fix your woes, only you can do that by constant experimenting. Your saying your not sure if its the airbrush or its the paint-thats easy to solve. Mix food dye with water and spray it on some wet paper towel. if its skipping or hesitating with straight water you have an airbrush issue..If it doesn't, you have a paint, reduction or PSI issue and you can't solve paint/reduction/psi issues without experimenting because paint is also a very unique beast, what you see some do amazing things with you will see like the crappiest invention in the world, finding a paint to suit you really is as easy as trying a bottle or two from each brand or as mentioned above try some uro, when you see how paint should spray (IE Uro's) you'll then understand why at times or in certain environmental conditions etc we all struggle at times, even someone with many years experience and it does help recognize other paint issues or how to tell if its just the gun needing a clean.

Listening to your airbrush is as important as anything, get used to the sound it makes when spraying nicely, I tune PSI know by ear and feel rather than dial and everyday that need may be different like on a hot day I have to pressure up, you will only know when you start for that day. Also try to avoid stopping to much and do something I rarely ever see mentioned anymore which is airbrush 101, constantly blast paint through your gun in between painting runs on the canvas, this will help blast out any particles that are building up that may cause issue, keeping that tip wet is the key and stopping all the time simply dry's that paint out. you can also try some wetting agents like glycerin but be careful not to use to much as your paint then will never dry LOL and finally...Strain your paint if your not already doing so :)

Best of luck, keep persevering because it does eventually become fun, but you never stop being challenged by it.. :)

and there was me thinking I was an oddball ! I enjoy the challenge, sure it would be nice to not be challenged quite so often, but when things aren't behaving I enjoy /embrace the problem solving aspect of it, I enjoy being able to resolve the issue.
You're right with the 'blasting' not being mentioned as much as it probably should. I did actually 'remember' about blasting while doing my current PP. sure it seems like a 'waste' of perfectly good paint, but I'm pretty sure it helped

I know you may not appreciate these words, sometimes people don't but really whats the fun of learning any new skill if it isn't a challenge. I don't doubt it does frustrate but its so unique to each individual that its hard to say or follow any specific advice to fix your woes, only you can do that ....Also try to avoid stopping to much and do something I rarely ever see mentioned anymore which is airbrush 101, constantly blast paint through your gun in between painting runs on the canvas, this will help blast out any particles that are building up that may cause issue, keeping that tip wet is the key and stopping all the time simply dry's that paint out. you can also try some wetting agents like glycerin but be careful not to use to much as your paint then will never dry LOL and finally...Strain your paint if your not already doing so :)

Best of luck, keep persevering because it does eventually become fun, but you never stop being challenged by it.. :)

You took time to respond so it is indeed appreciated. Funny you mention people not talking much about blasting paint through the gun frequently. I actually thought that today and started doing it.
I think I found the problem this time. I tried a test on a scrap piece. The paint mix of Wicked phtalo green w/red allowed me to spray 1 1/2 min. before major tip dry. I flushed the gun out and tried Wicked black which allowed much longer. I'm using pantyhose to strain my paint. I noticed a single drop of blue, black or red comes out of the bottle much easier than the green. Green also takes a lot more agitation to mix in with the reducer. I'm assuming the green is bad (don't know how that happens). I've got Wicked black, green, red, blue and yellow. I'm going to do a spray out test of each color and see how long each sprays before tip dry has to be addressed.
To be continued....

and there was me thinking I was an oddball ! I enjoy the challenge, sure it would be nice to not be challenged quite so often, but when things aren't behaving I enjoy /embrace the problem solving aspect of it, I enjoy being able to resolve the issue.
You're right with the 'blasting' not being mentioned as much as it probably should. I did actually 'remember' about blasting while doing my current PP. sure it seems like a 'waste' of perfectly good paint, but I'm pretty sure it helped

I enjoy fixing things as well. Just not all the time. I just modified/fixed my mower. Just did some repairs on my truck. I thought I would finally relax and airbrush. Nope. More fixing. :eek:lol

It just makes us appreciate it more when things go as they should : )

I enjoy fixing things as well. Just not all the time. I just modified/fixed my mower. Just did some repairs on my truck. I thought I would finally relax and airbrush. Nope. More fixing. :eek:lol

LOL, gosh, know the pain Hehehe, but hey who likes green anyway :)..Have some blue and yellow handy? Some colors though are just, well, crap. I don't think I've ever come across one full paint range that satisfy's, it is handy to have few options laying around and I think every painting I've ever done is a mix of various types just to see if one breaks the other and glad ya solved your problem, good news...no fixing for awhile????...Till tomorrow at least LOL

I really like the Illustration black so I ordered the 2oz primary color set last night. Hopefully these colors get along better when I mix them. :D:thumbsup:

Not sure if this is the case or not, but I have noticed with Wicked that the greens in particular seem to be first to 'go off'. However I haven't used that particular green before so .... I usually just get primary colours and mix my own, but I got bought some as part of a set, and the moss green wouldn't flow no matter how it was reduced. Replaced the bottle and worked like a charm. Another green I had did the same thing. Might be a coincidence, but I'm sticking to mixing my own again.:)

Back