Olympos Micron MP200-B or Iwata Custom Micron-SB

M

Melbee

Hi Folks,
I'm starting to think about investing in a Micron airbrush. I really like side feed airbrushes and already have an HP-SBS and HP-SB+ so it seems that a natural choice would be to get a CM-SB.

However I have heard that the Olympos Micron is even better than an Iwata as Olympos invented the Micron system and eventually sold the license to Iwata. Sadly they don't have a side feed version but I can get an MP-200B for over a €100 LESS than an Iwata Micron.

Iwata Pro's; parts are easy to get hold of and they do a side feed (I can use the same cups as I use on my other Iwata side feeds). Cons; over a €100 more expensive and not as good as the Olympos.

Olympos Pro's; A better airbrush than the Iwata Micron and much less expensive.
Con's; parts are harder to get hold of and it's a gravity feed airbrush not a side-feed.

Does anyone have experience with both these airbrushes? And if so which one would you choose?

I'm not asking you to choose for me but I can't try them out before I buy so any insight will help.
Cheers Mel

I have the CM-SB, and I got an Iwata HP-b as well, I don't have any preference if the paint cup is on top or to the side, it doesn't affect how I hold the brush or line myself up to see where i'm aiming, I only have the one side feed cup which came with the CM, so only ever take it out once in a blue moon to clean it.
If you can find a reliable parts supplier I'd go with the olympus.!!

I'd get both.....you never can be too careful

Ha Ha Ha, if only ad fez :) I don't have the cash for both otherwise I would buy them both and then write my own review :) LOL

I was thinking that I would trade in my HP-SB+ for a CM-SB + cash but because the MP200-B is so much cheaper I could just buy it and keep my HP-SB+

Thanks Jacksparrow, I'am tempted by the Olympos. So I take it you think the Olympos Micron is a better airbrush than the Iwata Micron?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the CM-SB, and I got an Iwata HP-b as well, I don't have any preference if the paint cup is on top or to the side, it doesn't affect how I hold the brush or line myself up to see where i'm aiming, I only have the one side feed cup which came with the CM, so only ever take it out once in a blue moon to clean it.
If you can find a reliable parts supplier I'd go with the olympus.!!

Hi Jack, The reason I prefer the Iwata side feeds is not just because of the unobstructed view, it is because I can change colour cups really quickly and easily, the same plastic cups fit all the Iwata side feeds. I have a Sotar 20/20 which has a small gravity feed cup and I don't mind that, it's just different when I want to change colours.

I've owned both, and even if they are close, I prefere the Olympos. Smoother and of slightly better quality.
But, if the side feed is what you prefere, I don't think you would be less satisfied with the CM-SB.

From what I've read the olympos is supposedly better than the micron,
Changing colours quickly is a bonus with the side feeds, but i always give mine a good flush with water between colour changes as I don't want paint building up and sticking in my nozzle, and I don't use opaque paint in it any more, that stuff really seems very sticky. I'm somewhat lazy and never take my brush apart unless I encounter a problem,
my philosophy is that it's easier to keep something clean than to have to clean it!!
I'm sure you'll do some amazing things whatever you decide to go with!

I've owned both, and even if they are close, I prefere the Olympos. Smoother and of slightly better quality.
But, if the side feed is what you prefere, I don't think you would be less satisfied with the CM-SB.

Hi denstore, to be honest if both airbrushes were basically the same price I'd go for the CM-SB but its the €100 difference in price and that the general opinion is the Olympos is a slightly better airbrush that caught my attention.

My other concern is that I can put any size cup on the CM side-feed up to a 60ml bottle whereas the Olympos B small gravity cup would have to be refilled. As you have both airbrushes I would be interested to know if you think I could use either or both airbrushes for a whole painting (A3 or 30 x 40cm) rather than just for detail. Could I use them for shadow blending as well as for fine lines around the eyes etc.? At the moment I use my HP-SBS 0.3mm for the background and first light coverage, then I use my HP-SB+ and finally switch to my Sotar for fine detail, I would love to be able to use one airbrush for an entire painting. Or is that too much to ask? :)
Cheers Mel

If you really are looking for allround capability, I would say that neither of them are very good. But for shadowing and detail work, they are excellent. But I would keep the HP-SBS for background work.
I always use eye drop style bottles when I'm painting. That way I can refill whenever I need to in a couple of seconds, and as a bonus, I can give it a bit of shaking between refills as well.

If you really are looking for allround capability, I would say that neither of them are very good. But for shadowing and detail work, they are excellent. But I would keep the HP-SBS for background work.
I always use eye drop style bottles when I'm painting. That way I can refill whenever I need to in a couple of seconds, and as a bonus, I can give it a bit of shaking between refills as well.

Excellent information denstore this helps me a lot thanks. I love my HP-SBS Eclipse so I it will always be a keeper :)
I'm not in a rush to buy yet so I have time to think things over.
Cheers Mel

OK Folks,
I decided in the end to go for an Olympos MP-200C not the 200B. My reason being that I can put more paint in the 7ml cup and if I tilt it to the right it won't be in my eye line. Also the 200C has a 0.23mm setup which I think will be more forgiving with paint reductions than the 200B 0.18mm and I already have a Sotar 20/20 0.2mm with a small cup.

So I took the plunge and like our forum friend Olvi and his CM-C+ I just went ahead and ordered even though I can't really afford it.

I just got confirmation today that my airbrush is in the post and I am sooooo excited!! I ordered the Olympos MP-200C, 2 extra needles and a spare nozzle. I will have to pay Import Tax but the total price should come to about the same as a new CM-C with no extras. Now I just have to sit and wait for it to arrive :)
Cheers Mel

Hope it doesn't take too long to arrive Mel,
can't wait to hear how you get on with it!!

Hope it doesn't take too long to arrive Mel,
can't wait to hear how you get on with it!!

Thanks Jack, me too LOL! I am super excited and nervous at the same time having spent all that money!
I'll let you know when it arrives and what I think.

Thanks for the reassurance denstore. I can't wait to get my hands on it :)

I use the Iwata CM-C+ with no complaint. Great for detail work. However, I've heard the Olympos is a better gun. I'd love to try one out for myself but they're rare around here. Let us know how it works out for you....good luck.

The MP I have is a MP200-C, and I love it. It's one of the few "C" cup size airbrushes where the color cup isn't in the way of my trigger finger (I use a sort of odd grip, using the area of my finger closer to the knuckle instead of my finger tip. A trick I picked up from Dru). Even with the .23 tip, the MP will out-detail even your Sotar. I'll even reach for the MP200-C over my Infinity with the .15 tip for detail work. The extra needle and nozzle are a good idea, but I doubt you'll need to use them for a while. My MP200-C was bought used from J.W. Baker, who had been using it as his main airbrush for many, many years before he sold it to me. I'd estimate it's probably 20 years old, if not older, by now. It STILL has the original needle and headset on it, with no discernible wear on either. Try that with a Badger ;-)

The MP I have is a MP200-C, and I love it. It's one of the few "C" cup size airbrushes where the color cup isn't in the way of my trigger finger (I use a sort of odd grip, using the area of my finger closer to the knuckle instead of my finger tip. A trick I picked up from Dru). Even with the .23 tip, the MP will out-detail even your Sotar. I'll even reach for the MP200-C over my Infinity with the .15 tip for detail work. The extra needle and nozzle are a good idea, but I doubt you'll need to use them for a while. My MP200-C was bought used from J.W. Baker, who had been using it as his main airbrush for many, many years before he sold it to me. I'd estimate it's probably 20 years old, if not older, by now. It STILL has the original needle and headset on it, with no discernible wear on either. Try that with a Badger ;-)

Wow HCP that is amazing! 20 years old and still with the original needle and nozzle!! and very good news for me too :) I'd heard that the parts last in the Olympos but I didn't want to take any chances of not being able to get new parts in the future so they are there if and when I need them.

I'm sooo glad you said the MP200-C will even out detail my Sotar because I'd be fed up if it didn't, there would be no reason to spend all this money if the MP200-C wasn't a better airbrush.

Out of interest do you use yours generally with air cap or without? And is it fussy with paint reductions?

My Olympos has been in Holland since yesterday but it's in Customs in Amsterdam which I've heard can take anything from 2 days to 2 months to get through. So flaming close and so blooming far .... it's very frustrating. I could get on a bike and pick it up if they'd let me, I'm just hoping for the 2 day option and I have it by the end of the week :)
Cheers Mel

The 200C is one of my favorite airbrushes, second only to my 200A. But I use my HP-100C a lot more. Mostly because it is almost as good for most painting I do, and a bit less temperamental.
The microns like the paint thin, but since they atomise incredibly good, you can build up from the softest shadows to opaque layers with even the thinnest paint mixes. In my opinion, that ability is what makes the microns so superior. Nothing I have owned come close.

The microns like the paint thin, but since they atomise incredibly good, you can build up from the softest shadows to opaque layers with even the thinnest paint mixes. In my opinion, that ability is what makes the microns so superior. Nothing I have owned come close.

well stated... usually when peeps talk about Microns they talk about detail.. well sure you see a lot of good detail out of Microns there is a reason for that IMO.. The majority if Microns are owned by artists with a lot of PRACTICE under there belts. Muscle memory, millions of lines.dots,daggers and all of the other moves that come together to become something more.. I am no Pro but I constantly practice if I dont have a project going.. JEEEZ that is enough out of me
Later,, Kurt

Back