Olympos Micron MP200-B or Iwata Custom Micron-SB

Actually, when I was working with Dru, we had several students come through who'd never even held an airbrush before, and were capable of getting very fine detail within, usually, a few hours of use. But, yes, the artist is the most important factor in any form of art work.

Melbee- I actually don't find the microns, especially the MP200-C, to really be all that picky about paint reductions, air pressure, etc. Definitely no more fussy than any other airbrush with a similar tip size, anyway. I mostly use Wicked Detail, Createx Illustration, or E'Tac EFX paints. The E'Tac is the easiest-spraying, IMO. But, with any of them, I use as little reducer as I can. Most of the time, I can get away with using no reducer at all. When I do, it's typically 10-20% (even less with the E'Tac). Tip dry is an annoyance, but not bad. When I want to do insane-tight detail, I'll reduce more (maybe up to 50%), and turn the air down to 10-15 psi. If you use a quality paint, spitting, clogs, etc really shouldn't be an issue (unless you're not cleaning your brush properly). As far as the nozzle crown cap, mine is sitting in a little cup along with the crown caps of the rest of my airbrushed. I'll put it on to protect the needle if I have to take the airbrushes out of my shop, but, for the most part, they just sit lonely. I bent more than a few needles, but eventually protecting the needle just becomes second nature. But, use it however you're comfortable. I hope it comes soon, and you enjy it as much as I enjoy mine ;-)

No argument with the detail aspect of the micron! just agreeing with denstore on atomization

Well I finally have my new Olympos in my grubby little hands :) However due to illness I haven't even tried it out yet and it sat at the Post Office for almost a week before I could go and get it.

It took less than a week to get here from Japan and through customs so that was really quick. Import tax was €81 which was more than I expected but still it is worth it. He even sent me the box with the extra head set and quick release which was a fantastic surprise as I ordered the cheaper basic no frills box.

My first reactions are that it feels light and balanced in my hand and the trigger feels very smooth. I do have some issues with the large cup as my trigger finger touches it with the lid on, it's ok with the lid off though. I won't know until I use it if that will remain an issue but I can always raise the trigger height if I need to.

I also noticed the needle sticks out a lot further than any of my other airbrushes. Is that normal for an Olympos Micron?

Now I'm starting to feel better I'm hoping I can test this baby out tomorrow. Oh happy days:)
cheers Mel

Good luck with your new tool!
About the needle, how far does it stick out? On my MP-C, it is so you can see it between the prongs of the crown cap. Sure, more than some, but most fine nozzle airbrushes have a long straight taper needle, so it should be normal.

That is cool. I saw a waybill on their Facebook page that they send to Goes, was it yours?

Enjoy it.

Good luck with your new tool!
About the needle, how far does it stick out? On my MP-C, it is so you can see it between the prongs of the crown cap. Sure, more than some, but most fine nozzle airbrushes have a long straight taper needle, so it should be normal.

Thanks denstore. Yes I can imagine the finer tapered needle would stick out more, it doesn't stick out beyond the crown cap prongs. I was just surprised that the needle doesn't retract all the way back into the airbrush, there is about 0.5mm sticking out which means I'll have to be more careful with the tip.

Glad you are feeling better and have your new toy, please let us know how you get on with it Mel:)

Glad you are feeling better and have your new toy, please let us know how you get on with it Mel:)

Cheers Cordyk. I will start a new thread with my findings as I went for the MP200-C and not the MP200-B or CM-SB.
I finally tried it out today.

I have seen the tread about Olympos-Iwata differences some time after it was posted in this forum. Well, though somewhat late my opinion could be of some appeal for those that are fighting with their interior doubts about this tools. It is more than 45 years that I am using airbrushes and I have tried almost all guns constructed ever. For one of the producers in question I have collaborated for some time but for par conditio, I will omit the name. My general opinion is that often the search for the tool is going far beyond the real necessity and is based on the physical possibilities of the gun more than really needed ones.To purchase CM-C or MP-B with intention to get all around working horse is just wrong in start. Both of pieces are high end products constructed to best existing standards, and the question who was the first in micron technology (Olympos was) simply has no importance. They were Japanese answer to European DeVilbiss and EFBE guns that were used for extreme precision demands. And the answer (as I have mentioned, Olympos first) was so convincing that it soon became the preferred tool of professionals, though mentioned Super 63 or EFBE0,15 remained serious competitors. Anyhow choosing one (Olympos or Iwata) is just the question of availability or price as both are the same high quality products. On both pieces you can interchange almost any part without changing working possibilities (I usually put Iwata’s Teflon gaskets in place of Olympos rubber O-rings as they can stand solvents) and in case you can’t find needle or nozzle for one, you can easily use the same part of another of same standard. The difference is the type of alloy, the sizes remain identical. But I must say that they are both imagined as high precision tools to work with slow drying solvents or (better) water for small details or retouch work, and using them on bigger surfaces was not the idea of producer. In any case the final result is always connected to the hand and notto the tool, (search the works of Alberto Ponno, all executed with cheap Paasche VJR, just to have idea), and purchasing the right tool usually remain the question of professional need, as some tools last more in time or have particular demanded characteristics for special use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very happy with my Olympos MP200-C my only wish is that they had made a side-feed model. I wanted a 0.23mm set up and the CM-SB is 0.18mm so I choose the Olympos gravity feed over the Custom Micron. One of these days (probably years) I'll get my hands on a CM-SB and put my spare Olympos 0.23mm head and needle in it.

The reason being, I have modified several small siphon feed plastic cups to fit my Iwata side-feed airbrushes without the metal adapter. I can premix paint in them, easily put them on the airbrush, take them off with paint still in them and with the holes blocked and the lids on I can keep the paint for weeks in them. So swapping from one side-feed airbrush to another side-feed would suit me better than using a side-feed and then swapping to my gravity feed. It's not a big deal but in practise it would make my life easier and it didn't make a difference until I modified the cups. I had problems taking the metal adapter off my airbrush at the end of the day when cleaning and it was getting on my nerves. Now I've got rid of the adapter the little cups are fantastic!
So I have my HP-SBS and HP-SB+ side-feeds for the background and midrange work and the Olympos Micron gravity feed for the really fine detail if I need it.
I reckon that's job sorted :)
Cheers Mel

i just want a second micron im not woried about fine tuned guns i will probably order it from coast and ask dave to go through his micronds and pick the best one i will pay extra loli still dont have a gun that the needle stays centered while being triggered back and fourth

One day when I'm grown up I will own an Olympos. By then you will only see them in museums.

The MP I have is a MP200-C, and I love it. It's one of the few "C" cup size airbrushes where the color cup isn't in the way of my trigger finger (I use a sort of odd grip, using the area of my finger closer to the knuckle instead of my finger tip. A trick I picked up from Dru). Even with the .23 tip, the MP will out-detail even your Sotar. I'll even reach for the MP200-C over my Infinity with the .15 tip for detail work. The extra needle and nozzle are a good idea, but I doubt you'll need to use them for a while. My MP200-C was bought used from J.W. Baker, who had been using it as his main airbrush for many, many years before he sold it to me. I'd estimate it's probably 20 years old, if not older, by now. It STILL has the original needle and headset on it, with no discernible wear on either. Try that with a Badger ;-)
Man, you've "inherited" JW's airbrush! How cool is that! JW was the reason I've kept airbrushing! I've bought all the equipment but, having nobody to tell me anything about it, I wasn't able to achieve detail with an airbrush just like the one he's used at the time. He was kind enough to invite me over, took hours of his precious time just to help me figure it out what was wrong! I'm pretty sure you have just good karma on that airbrush! He always bragged on how good customer service and warranty were on the Olympos products. I've owned one MP-200 and another one but hard times forced me to sell them. Still trying to find one I can afford one of these days. Best of luck and very nice you mention JW here! Peace.

Back