Paint boxes

M

Madbrush

After recently purchasing some some com-art paints, I noticed my studio was becoming a little untidy with all different size bottles all over the place, although they sit on shelves most of the time I don't like the look of so many bottles on view as well as the fact that my studio is very small, 4.5 meters long and 2.2. meters wide, so I try as much as I can to make the most economical use of the space.

I had nothing better to do today so I set about making some boxes to store my paints in, the one in the photo here is made for the com-art paints as well as my empty squeezy bottles which are exactly the same size, so I've made two this size, it's made out of 3mm MDF pre-primed on one side with a little quarter round white wood in the corners for extra strength, the hinges and the little lock are recovered from old cigar boxes which where intended for the paints but where too small.

The dimensions of the box are 182 mm long X 135 mm deep X 110 mm high and I get 24 bottles into each box.

I'll be making some more different size boxes for other brands of paint, mainly Schminke and Createx, I'll also be making some little drawers for all others tools and sundries I now have in my studio.

Here is one of the two finished boxes, I might paint them later, but since I'm a lazy bastard I probably won't.

Incidentally, the table the box is sitting on I also made myself, it was intended as a balsa and foam cutting table for my model planes, but is just as handy for cutting stencils, it's made of 19mm MDF covered in cloth and then a sheet of glass over it, the glass is held in place with '"L" profile aluminium all round, it sits on two heavy retractable so that it folds down flat against the wall, when folded it has a 50 mm profile total from the wall to the front of it, another space saving measure, my magnetic white board is on the facing this so it needs to be folded when I work so I can take a step back now and again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, I use these vintage samsonite makeup storage boxes. Lots of little pockets for brushes and airbrushes. I'll vote you never paint them lol as I'm the same way haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Cool, I use these vintage samsonite makeup storage boxes. Lots of little pockets for brushes and airbrushes. I'll vote you never paint them lol as I'm the same way haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

LOL, I can almost guarantee I don't paint them, but if I do it will be to use something up I got for free, lol

I could have got five bottles into the each cigar boxes but then they have to be lying down, I don't mind that for new bottles, but when the bottle has been opened I would rather have them standing, a these boxes were well wroth the effort since the com-art bottles are re-usable just like the empty ones I have for mixing my own colours.

the Samsonite boxes are a great idea, but I can't find them here, everything to do with make up here seems to be see-through, so I would still be looking at the bottles, lol.

I was looking for spice racks to hang under my white board to hold the colours I'm working with, but this is Holland and the word easy isn't in their vocabulary, if you wan't the spice racks you also have to buy the spices, lol, so being a tight arse Scottish git I'll just make my own spice racks, hell I might even make me a paint rack ha ha ha.

After recently purchasing some some com-art paints, I noticed my studio was becoming a little untidy with all different size bottles all over the place, although they sit on shelves most of the time I don't like the look of so many bottles on view as well as the fact that my studio is very small, 4.5 meters long and 2.2. meters wide, so I try as much as I can to make the most economical use of the space.

I had nothing better to do today so I set about making some boxes to store my paints in, the one in the photo here is made for the com-art paints as well as my empty squeezy bottles which are exactly the same size, so I've made two this size, it's made out of 3mm MDF pre-primed on one side with a little quarter round white wood in the corners for extra strength, the hinges and the little lock are recovered from old cigar boxes which where intended for the paints but where too small.

The dimensions of the box are 182 mm long X 135 mm deep X 110 mm high and I get 24 bottles into each box.

I'll be making some more different size boxes for other brands of paint, mainly Schminke and Createx, I'll also be making some little drawers for all others tools and sundries I now have in my studio.

Here is one of the two finished boxes, I might paint them later, but since I'm a lazy bastard I probably won't.

View attachment 30528

View attachment 30529

Incidentally, the table the box is sitting on I also made myself, it was intended as a balsa and foam cutting table for my model planes, but is just as handy for cutting stencils, it's made of 19mm MDF covered in cloth and then a sheet of glass over it, the glass is held in place with '"L" profile aluminium all round, it sits on two heavy retractable so that it folds down flat against the wall, when folded it has a 50 mm profile total from the wall to the front of it, another space saving measure, my magnetic white board is on the facing this so it needs to be folded when I work so I can take a step back now and again.
Thanks for your reply.......I built my house awhile back so a box is not beyond me........I wos hoping for a short cut like.....err ....buy this bla bla bla box turn it upside down and cut holes in it......

Thanks for your reply.......I built my house awhile back so a box is not beyond me........I wos hoping for a short cut like.....err ....buy this bla bla bla box turn it upside down and cut holes in it......

Buy a spice rack then, no one said a box was beyond you.

Back