Paint changing colour

Dalboy

Double Actioner
I have read that with some paints that if you over spray say yellow with blue the outcome will be green is this because the paint is sprayed onto wet paint. I would have thought that if the first coat is dry this will not happen or am I on the wrong track altogether.

One scenario is called interlinking. The second colour makes the first layer wet again and they blend into each other a bit. I've never seen/experience it that extreme that the colour actually changes. Another scenario is with transparent colours. With that is just because they are see through.

Yes, it depends whether you are using opaques (and how much they are reduced) or transparents. Its what I love about trans, that you can get so much subtle colour blending when you lay it down.

Laying certain colours over others will get colour shift. For instance white over black gets a blue shift. You can correct it by adding a small amount of the opposing colour - orange.

How colours behave, and are perceived is a real brain bender, it hurts my head lol.

Coming from a t-shirt artist background I was totally used to blending colors this way especially doing beach scenes. You didn't need to buy all the fluorescent colors you could do hot pink and hot yellow and be good. Most of the time over lapping the yellow with pink made orange but doing a light blue base and then hitting it with a bunch of hot yellow gave an awesome hot green and so on.

With portrait work you can mist reds and yellows to create real nice vibrant flesh tones for. If you working in opaque you need to creat most of you variations of mid tones and dark flesh tones plus a lightened version of the mid tone for highlights. Then take and mist with a transparent to adjust areas where needed. This is how I learned from working on shirts. Transitioning to Illustration work has changed some of these habits only because now I can erase and scratch back in to create highlights to bring out texture.

After time you will get use to working with the subtleties of transparent and opaque paint and paints and it will be second nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

I have a lot to learn and also another factor I have to take into concideration is the reaction with different woods. Some of the colours I use which arn't airbrush paints can change colour just by being sprayed onto different woods. I did a cherry vase with a textured ring around the top and then coloured this blue and once applied it turned green. I like the the uncertainty of working like this but at the same time can be a little frustrating when you are after a clour to be what you want.

I have a lot to learn and also another factor I have to take into concideration is the reaction with different woods. Some of the colours I use which arn't airbrush paints can change colour just by being sprayed onto different woods. I did a cherry vase with a textured ring around the top and then coloured this blue and once applied it turned green. I like the the uncertainty of working like this but at the same time can be a little frustrating when you are after a clour to be what you want.
That would mean the blue was transparent and also soaked down into the wood. I would definitely do what Squishy asked about sealer or even a coat of Createx 4030 inter coat clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Thank you all for the feed back, lt is just that I have not used these paints before and it is a learning curve for me.

Do you use a clear sealer before colouring the wood? If not that should help.
Yes I did as if I did not it would have bleed into the surounding wood and not give a sharp line between the coloured section and the natural wood. The sealer is also compatible to the colouring medium. I have so many different sealers, paints, stains and top coats so that I can match them to each other and not have problems with each other reacting and spoiling the finished turned item.

Back