Paint flow problem

T

Tomasmcadam

Hello all.

I'm new here and having big problems with my new airbrush.

I bought an iwata revolution CW. It works fine for 10 minutes or so, then paint starts to build up in the trigger mechanism. This shouldn't happen right? Am I doing something wrong?

So the trigger starts to stick down, presumably from the paint surrounding it, so air is constantly coming. I get paint all over my hands from the trigger and the paint flow becomes intermittent. I've taken it apart and cleaned it very well but the problem happens every time I use it.

I'm using standard acrylic paints, watered down a lot.

I'm really hoping someone can help me, because the company I bought it from are not helpful at all.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

I can't see on the Iwata site that they do a revolution CW, they do however do a CR.
Assuming that's what you have, it's a .5 needle (To save anyone else googling)

There shouldn't be any paint near your trigger or your hands so that suggests that the cup is overfilled or it's bubbling while you're spraying
The acrylic paint is likely to thick, even though you've reduced it, the pigment size remains the same.

Are you getting bubbles in the cup?
Can you spray water

I'm thinking that your nozzle is blocked

by standard acrylic paints you mean tube paint ? if so there in lies your problem the pigments are not fine enough for use in a airbrush and will block your nozzle no matter how much water you add

Hey guys! thanks for your replies. I'm sorry I wasn't very helpful with my information.

Yes it's an iwata CR, and I opted for the 3mm needle.

The paints I'm using are for miniature painting, Model Colour theyre called. Not tube acrylics. Also, acrylic inks. I water them down using water and alcohol.

I do occasionally get bubbles in the cup, but I'm not putting hardly any paint in the cup so it can't be overfilled.

I can spray water, and I can spray the paint just fine, but occasionally is blocks and then spurts out a lot.

When I received the airbrush, I had this issue, so i took it to my local art shop and the guy ordered a new nozzle and installed it for me. But if you think its the nozzle being blocked then I don't know what else I can do!

I'm following tutorials on how to use it, doing everything correctly as I'm told.

Thanks for the help, I hope this clears up any doubts about my equipment and paint choices.

Thanks!! This is an awesome forum!

I dont know that paint , it is for use in a airbrush ?
a blocked nozzle happens to the best of us and all you need to do is to give it a good clean but if it keeps happening it is due to the pigments in your paint being to big

I dont know that paint , it is for use in a airbrush ?
a blocked nozzle happens to the best of us and all you need to do is to give it a good clean but if it keeps happening it is due to the pigments in your paint being to big

Yes, I've seen many people using them with an airbrush. The brand is vallejo. I've tried everything. So frustrating.

Can you recommend some paints that wont block the nozzle?

Thank you so much for your help so far!!

Tom

I've had a quick check of the Vallejo site doesn't mention using an airbrush with the model air, it does mention a conventional brush.
I know they (Vallejo) do a range of airbrush paint but I don't think the 'model air' is it.

Even though you think the nozzle may be clean there's a good chance it's far from it. We've all been there, it's a common new user issue.

I'll do some more digging in case a Vallejo user doesn't pop in
What brand are the inks ?

I've had a quick check of the Vallejo site doesn't mention using an airbrush with the model air, it does mention a conventional brush.
I know they (Vallejo) do a range of airbrush paint but I don't think the 'model air' is it.

Even though you think the nozzle may be clean there's a good chance it's far from it. We've all been there, it's a common new user issue.

I'll do some more digging in case a Vallejo user doesn't pop in
What brand are the inks ?

Thank you. Maybe I'm not cleaning it properly, although I thought I was. I'm running water through it until the spray is clear, then alcohol, then wipe everything again and repeat. Could you give me some tips on nozzle cleaning?

The inks are FW Inks.

I was under the impression that many different paints could be used, especially with an iwata. I've heard of some really heavy paints, such as automotive paints being used without a problem.

I can deal with the nozzle getting blocked occasionally, but it's the constant paint coming from the trigger that's really annoying, because it makes my hands messy and makes the trigger stick.

Thank you all so much.

A few off the model guys here use the Vellejo, there is an airbrush specific paint they use. How long after you started using the brush did this occur?

A few off the model guys here use the Vellejo, there is an airbrush specific paint they use. How long after you started using the brush did this occur?

It depends, but usually after 10-30 minutes. Everything starts fine, works well. Then paint starts getting on my fingers from the trigger, the trigger starts to seize up and the paint flow becomes difficult to control.

The weird thing is, paint gets through the trigger to my fingers before there's an issue with the paint flow. So if the nozzle is working properly, how can paint be coming through the trigger? Sorry, I'm quite new to this.

you need paint that is made for airbrush use everything else will get you in trouble with your airbrush Valejo has a paint made for use in a airbrush but that paint needs Valejo reducer to thin it down and I dont recommend any home made reducers with alcohol in it

Thank you. Maybe I'm not cleaning it properly, although I thought I was. I'm running water through it until the spray is clear, then alcohol, then wipe everything again and repeat. Could you give me some tips on nozzle cleaning?

The inks are FW Inks.

I was under the impression that many different paints could be used, especially with an iwata. I've heard of some really heavy paints, such as automotive paints being used without a problem.

I can deal with the nozzle getting blocked occasionally, but it's the constant paint coming from the trigger that's really annoying, because it makes my hands messy and makes the trigger stick.

Thank you all so much.

Between the trigger cavity and paint cup on your brush there is a seal which the needle passes through, this seal is supposed to stop paint traveling backwards into the cup, my guess going on the price of your brush is that the seal is rubber and since you are cleaning with alcohol your seal is now deteriorated and I believe that this is what's getting into your nozzle causing a blockage, take off the back handle and loosen the needle chuck and you will probably notice that the needle can slide in and out a little too easy, you can order a new seal for and just give the brush a good clean making sure there is absolutely nothing left in the nozzle, FW inks shouldn't be a problem for your brush since they are dye based instead of pigment and therefor finer, I believe your nozzle is in excess of 0.3.

Between the trigger cavity and paint cup on your brush there is a seal which the needle passes through, this seal is supposed to stop paint traveling backwards into the cup, my guess going on the price of your brush is that the seal is rubber and since you are cleaning with alcohol your seal is now deteriorated and I believe that this is what's getting into your nozzle causing a blockage, take off the back handle and loosen the needle chuck and you will probably notice that the needle can slide in and out a little too easy, you can order a new seal for and just give the brush a good clean making sure there is absolutely nothing left in the nozzle, FW inks shouldn't be a problem for your brush since they are dye based instead of pigment and therefor finer, I believe your nozzle is in excess of 0.3.

Wondered about the seal so checked the site, it's teflon so that is OK. I was wondering if the securing nut needs tightening... Do the check Malky recommends. You should be able to tighten it up (little by little) with a thin screw driver... it should have a little resistance but no more.

Wondered about the seal so checked the site, it's teflon so that is OK. I was wondering if the securing nut needs tightening... Do the check Malky recommends. You should be able to tighten it up (little by little) with a thin screw driver... it should have a little resistance but no more.

Thank you both. I will try to checks you mentioned, but I have no idea where the securing nut is... The last time I tried to tighten anything the nozzle broke!

Is there anyway you can explain how to do this? or at least where this nut is so i can try it.

Seriously impressed with the knowledge here, and the speed and helpfulness. Thank you all so much.

Thank you both. I will try to checks you mentioned, but I have no idea where the securing nut is... The last time I tried to tighten anything the nozzle broke!

Is there anyway you can explain how to do this? or at least where this nut is so i can try it.

Seriously impressed with the knowledge here, and the speed and helpfulness. Thank you all so much.
Hang on, I came across a cleaning explanation the other day...

A picture is worth 1000 words
revolutionparts1.jpg
#9 is called a needle bearing. When you slide the needle in you should feel resistance as the needle passes through the needle bearing. This is what keeps paint out of the trigger area.
With a jeweler flat tip screwdriver take apart the airbrush trigger assembly and use the small screwdriver to tighten the needle bearing just a bit. before reinstalling the trigger insert the needle to make sure you have tension at that point , You do not want to over tighten it where the needle will actually stick but have enough drag on it so it can move freely yet keep a good seal .
Also look for paint that is airbrush rated when it comes to water based paints not all of them will work due to pigment size .

A picture is worth 1000 words
View attachment 45152
#9 is called a needle bearing. When you slide the needle in you should feel resistance as the needle passes through the needle bearing. This is what keeps paint out of the trigger area.
With a jeweler flat tip screwdriver take apart the airbrush trigger assembly and use the small screwdriver to tighten the needle bearing just a bit. before reinstalling the trigger insert the needle to make sure you have tension at that point , You do not want to over tighten it where the needle will actually stick but have enough drag on it so it can move freely yet keep a good seal .
Also look for paint that is airbrush rated when it comes to water based paints not all of them will work due to pigment size .

Amazing. Thank you. I will try this tonight and see if it helps.

Back