For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Paint Pal 10!

Discussion in 'The OC Challenge!' started by Mr.Micron, Aug 9, 2016.

1. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA Quick Draw !! (and still very happy) Staff Member Mod

Creepy stalker...:)
    JackEb likes this.
  2. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

I'm seriously struggling with my paint pal to the point where it is starting to get me down, I'll keep going until I get something I won't be ashamed to send but I have a feeling the towel will be thrown in once again in favor of my pencils, all the fun has totally gone out of it now so unless drawings are acceptable in the future I'm afraid this is my last round, soul destroying to say the least yet behind a pencil I'm just totally chilled and that's where I need to be right now, loads of money thrown at this in the last three months just so I can fill up the trash can with paper and board:(

I'm off to look at freakazoit's little girl painting, I need a reason to smileo_O
    markjthomson likes this.
  3. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Nice deep breaths Malky. There's still plenty of time.
    Maybe a change of subject to paint is what you need ?
    markjthomson likes this.
  4. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

You can do it malky,don't worry about it and you will get your MOJO back;) besides that 3 months isn't long to be painting,just do what you do :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    markjthomson likes this.
  5. Malky

The biggest problem is the subject I'm trying to do is one I really like and I think it is very appropriate for who it is going to who also happens to be someone I/we like a lot too, I can't give up on it because if I do it wins and I can't have that even if it was my last ever painting, for the time ever I have the right brush, substrate and paint but just lack the skill and that's what's eating me, but I just need to leave for today and study the image more for another go tomorrow.

Thanks Base, I spent the whole day yesterday trying some new paint and doing nothing but the dots and daggers along with some textures and stuff gettign myself ready for what was the fourth attempt at the same thing, the image I chose seriously out of focus which didn't appear that way when I chose it but certainly was once it was printed, because I like the soft look of it, I want to keep it that way so I can't scratch anything or at last very little, but I may have to change the approach altogether, but to be honest with all the frustration I don't know if this a Mojo I actually want to have back, when I draw I am just totally relaxed and lost in it, I won't say I've never messed up but when I do the clean up only takes seconds instead of hours and there is no frustration at all, it's ridiculous to think I've forked out over two grand to do this to myself yet I can bring myself back down to earth and back into a happy place by spending only 50 cents on a pencil:eek:
    Zotilraxx and jord001 like this.
  6. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Lol, I'm just easily distracted and cant talk and draw at the same time lol
    You three and @Diegojavbau are the sweetest, feeling the love today :)
  7. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

@Malky. Come back with fresh eyes and do your thing. Remember your PP isn't going to notice every tiny thing that seems off to you, and will just be stoked they got an awesome PP from the one and only you.

It will come out great to everyone else's eyes except yours. We are all too self critical, and it can take away the fun. So enjoy the process, and know that the end result might not be what you'd hoped for , (or if you relax and just go with it, it may even turn out better), but will 100% make someone's day. This is what I have told myself today. Its easy to put too much pressure on yourself, and there's no need, every PP is a gesture of friendship, sharing and strengthening our forum family. I had to remind myself of that, and remember its impossible to do a bad paint pal as long as you're spreading the love.

Can't wait to get mine !!!!!!!
    basepaint and jord001 like this.
  8. Malky

Thanks Squishy, unfortunately it isn't little things I'm seeing, if that's all it was I know how to fix that by now, this things just not working as they should despite having worked previously, but it's ridiculously warm here at the moment so I think my concentration is just not there and the heat likely is affecting what my stuff does, I was using my little compressor which was producing a lot of water, I've just taken the regulator off of that to use for the big compressor because it is easier to control and the gauge is easier to see, hopefully tomorrow it might be cooler, I already had another mapped out so all I have to do is paint it.

I know my recipient would be happy with me just signing my name on a blank piece of paper, but that's exactly why he deserves the best I can give, when you find out who my recipient is you'll know exactly what I mean, there can be no half measures here, not I do that deliberately anyway but you know what I mean, I get on a downer now and again as you know but I have been checking out Freak's little girl which totally makes me smile so I'm on my way back up:) fresh start tomorrow with a fresh head, I'm lucky enough to have three weeks free form work since my mate is busy our of town for tow weeks and then he goes home to see his family in England so I'm free until he gets back so I'm not short of time at least:thumbsup:
    Squishy, basepaint and jord001 like this.
  9. Diegojavbau

Diegojavbau Air-Valve Autobot!

@Malky I know what you feel bro , Lastly I feel like I use my airbrushu the same way that I would use a toothbrush to spit paint or like painting with a stick instead a hairbrush , I feel that I just can't take advantage of the airbrush because it wont work like I want and like it supposed to , so I finally use it the way I can and complement using aother techniques like erasing , scratching , even color pencils if necesary , all that takes to reach the result I want , there is no cheat or shame in that .
    Now I choose my reference and sustrate to work on my favor instead of try things that I know that will be a nightmare

I face the fact that here , I can't buy specific paints , have no money to by needle and nozzle very often , and I don't have the time to use hours daily my airbrush , so is so unreal to me think that I can produce high quality work or compare mysel with real artist that feel the gun like a part of his/her arm
    jord001, JackEb and Malky like this.
  10. Malky

LOL, this is the first time ever I have struggled with a paint pal, I usually struggle with everything else in between and then all goes well for paint pals, but I think it's just the heat here affecting everything, it's even making me madder than I normally am if that's possible, lol , I know for sure that after paint pals I'll grab my airbrush again, but I'll relax with a drawing or two first, we have a new baby nephew in the family so I'm drawing the baby as surprise for his mum, I redecorated all of her house as a wedding present three years and told her if a little bundle came along I would do something special:)

If I ever get half as good as you Diego. I'll consider myself a very good artist indeed:thumbsup:
  11. Phaze

Phaze Gravity Guru

sounds to me like you have your eye on your end goal and not enjoying the view along the way.

I feel the same way and especially because I'm so new, I know how I want the project to look but it never goes that way. For myself, make a goal and then try to execute the techniques, but if my end project doesn't look like how I wanted I say "Good enough for now. I'm done with this project. Enjoy it for what it is, another stepping stone in my quest to produce what I want". Then I leave it. I find a new project where I can practice my newly learned techniques and try them on a different direction.

I play the long game. One day I believe if I do this enough times that I will get the control that I desire and then I'll be a force to reckon with. Until then, I'm just gonna enjoy the ride down the highway
  12. Malky

That is a very clever analogy and could well be the case:) but it's more that stuff that worked before isn't working now which I have accepted as being down to the weather, the fact that I can hardly breath at the moment makes me think that humidity is also part of it, the water from the small compressor seems to confirm that but tomorrow is another day:thumbsup: I know what standards I'm capable of and although they are not high by any means they are acceptable to me, I'm happy enough to reach those;)
    jord001 likes this.
  13. Phaze

Phaze Gravity Guru

See? Learning experience. Now just go to all your local furniture stores and ask for all those packets of things that say DO NOT EAT and load up your paint room. Should suck all that moisture out, right? I heard rice does the same thing
  14. Malky

They don't sell Dutch french fries at furniture stores, lol

Rice actually does do the same thing, we put a teaspoon full in the salt pot to keep it flowing nicely and that works a treat:thumbsup:
  15. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA Quick Draw !! (and still very happy) Staff Member Mod

I'd be happy with a pencil PP... :) hang on, that would make it a PPP...
    Malky and Oxygen like this.
  16. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

Then reach up and grab them we know this is doable for you
  17. Malky

But paint pal picture or paint pal painting is also PPP:eek::eek::eek::):):)
    basepaint and markjthomson like this.
  18. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I am at the point of starting over on mine....I know I could do better....
    Going to put a few more tweeks on it, put the finish coat on ....then bin it...lol
    I go through this every pp....I know I am my worst critic, but ......I think the hardest part is thinking if my pp will like it or not....
    Cheers
    Malky likes this.
  19. Malky

I know exactly where you're coming from Tony, I had a little episode yesterday but I was about to start my 50th try today and found attempt No.2 in a drawer, I actually thought that one was binned but I had a look at it and thought "hell, that aint so bad" I could even see what needed fixing so I fixed it and now I'm done and it's ready to send off to my poor unsuspecting victim:thumbsup: it's amazing how stuff changes when you look at it with fresh eyes:)

"Put the finish coat on....then bin it" that had me in stitches, lollollollollol:thumbsup:
    markjthomson and twood like this.
  20. Phaze

Phaze Gravity Guru

Hahaha, I had that same experience with mine. I was working on it and getting frustrated wondering how I could make it look a certain way, and just gave up and worked on something else. I went and showed the wifey when I was done and she asked how did I do the one spot I was having trouble with. I looked at it again and I scratched my head because it looked so cool. It had depth and definition and I know it didn't look that way when I was doing it.

I think what happened there is that our brain interprets information that comes in through the eyes and fills in details so that its not overloaded with information. The smae tinhg taht aolwls yuo to raed tihs sntacee. You brain only sees certain things and then fills out the rest for you. But when you are working on something, it knows whats being worked on so the illusion doesn't work
    markjthomson likes this.