paint peel off

W

wandyhee

hey everyone, this is my second post in here (after introduction post).. i'm quite new to spray paint and airbrush.. but I do have partner who has knowledge regarding spray painting (study in technical college).. my question here, i'm wondering what is the main reason paint as in picture peeled/off once I remove sticker (block).. is it because of quality of thinner i'm using? or is it because the way I removed the sticker... or is there any other reason? paint & thinner mixing ratio is 1:1 and surface are sanded using 800 grit sandpaper as for airbrush prepation. airbrush are gravity feed 0.3 size dual action.. appreciate any input from you guys

P7060009.JPG

I think your sticker sticks too hard on the surface. You need something like stick folio. Its very easy to remove and it doesnt take the paint with it. Also if u spray too much paint and make it thickly.

thanks for reply.. first step i'll do next it to reduce the amount of paint I sprayed.. if it's still doesn't work I go for your another advise, changing to stick folio.. but never heard of that stuff before anyway... LOL. i'll google it and search around town if any shop sell it. current sticker I use bought from sticker printing shop.. mostly they print and cut as decal for car and motorcycle

anyway, I read post from another forum this morning.. the proper material to use as mask are low tack paint mask, and easily remove compare to sticker. will find that stuff around town

To remove any stickers /material gently heating the sticker with a hair dryer will soften the glue and allow you to pull sticker off .Yes low tack masks are better to use and they leave little to no residue .Removing mask when paint is fully cured can also lift the paint as can not pulling the tape/mask back on itself .

yup, I do heat those with hot air blow gun before pulling sticker off.. i'll try one more time tomorrow to see any improvement over the last one. this time will reduce the amount of paint.. and pull those sticker off carefully. i'll order those low tack mask soon as I couldn't find any supplier in my local town for those stuff.. including transfer tape and fine line tape :(

Be wary wandyhee, even the low tack stuff can pull the paint (Mainly depends on surface prep and paint types), most will detack the stuff first, I use a bit of steel, stick the frisket/mask to it and peel it of, will do this a few times before putting it on the surface ya painting, and also, try to get whats need done quickly, many are tempted to leave the frisket on overnight or extended periods and that can also cause big issues..Personally hate the stuff, leaves goo behind and to often ruins works, for basic designs, paper and magnets may serve you well, especially if ya painting steel and that saves ya cutting the frisket on the job, gl...

Be wary wandyhee, even the low tack stuff can pull the paint (Mainly depends on surface prep and paint types), most will detack the stuff first, I use a bit of steel, stick the frisket/mask to it and peel it of, will do this a few times before putting it on the surface ya painting, and also, try to get whats need done quickly, many are tempted to leave the frisket on overnight or extended periods and that can also cause big issues..Personally hate the stuff, leaves goo behind and to often ruins works, for basic designs, paper and magnets may serve you well, especially if ya painting steel and that saves ya cutting the frisket on the job, gl...

When you say that leaving the frisket on over night causes huge problems, you are correct sir. I ruined a piece I was doing for the eye competition because of that. I was trying to do a really detailed iris of black and flourecent light blue. Took me like two hours to cut out my frisket and didn't have time to paint it. Left it for the next Day, ripped my paper to shreds. I guess I should have done small parts at a time. Live and learn I guess. What do you use when you do cars and stuff like that? I saw nuns use a masking tape material on a video one time but it was a roll of like 12".

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

thanks for the tips bro.. here's my second attempt

535033_315897695171107_1982519232_n.jpg

so, the conclusion is;

- try to get low tack vinyl paint mask
- if it's not available, vinyl sticker still can use.. but stick it on other surface few times before putting on surface we painting to reduce it stickiness
- just apply thin layer instead of thick layer of paint.. as long as we get sufficient image we want/need
- remove those mask a.s.a.p after we done with painting.. try not to leave it there for long period..best to remove it before paint get dry

i'm i correct? anymore input and comment are welcome

Back